hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

I also represent the shoehorned-excessive-components-into-a-HP-Compaq-8300-desktop crew. I'd do it again too!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    I used to fuck about with cold cathodes, so believe me when I say the current trend for RGB LEDs is far, far better for everyone.
    Oh god so much this =))

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I'd probably buy RGB stuff if I were in high school/uni. Back in the day we used to adapt car lighting and other weird stuff.

I like modding a lot and I used to know a guy who went OCD levels of detail and quality on his mods. I used to do glass etching with a knockoff Dremel clone (yes, we didn't have windowed cases so you had to cut it yourself and then slap plexiglass or even real glass on it ^^

Nowadays it's a little too plug and play, plus I get the impression I'll develop epilepsy if I were to have lights in my PC again. I like the sober huge black tower a bit more now too ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you feel about this rig some mates saw at TG 2 weeks ago?
    This is literally glorious modding, I'd give that dude some beers for the work he put in there I-just-can't-be-arsed-paying-in-excess-of-£200-for-a-case-thus-where's-my-welder-and-Dremel people are the best :3
    Now if only the welding and cutting wasnt absolutely atrocious.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    i feel like it adds to the charm tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    On second thought you're not wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I can't find the link with all the pics but this was fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

HL3 when

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    HL3 when
    Likely never, all their principal writers left.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-leaves-valve/
    https://www.pcgamer.com/jay-pinkerto...dding-writers/
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Anyway, it might have looked somewhat like this: http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Ryzen 2000 series chip reviews are out. Its a 'mild speed increase' at best. It looks like the majority of the gains have come from a slightly better boost clock (due to it being a slightly smaller and therefor not as power hungry die), and the new x470 chipset. The new chipset, amongst other things, has far better support for faster ram speeds, and Ryzen LOVES faster ram.

Up side, the Ryzen 1000 series chips will work in the x470 chipset and also get the better ram support, so if you have a 1000 series (say a 1800X) and you want to actually use that 3200MHz ram you bought, looks like you can just replace your mobo and be good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Ryzen 2000 series chip reviews are out. Its a 'mild speed increase' at best. It looks like the majority of the gains have come from a slightly better boost clock (due to it being a slightly smaller and therefor not as power hungry die), and the new x470 chipset. The new chipset, amongst other things, has far better support for faster ram speeds, and Ryzen LOVES faster ram.

Up side, the Ryzen 1000 series chips will work in the x470 chipset and also get the better ram support, so if you have a 1000 series (say a 1800X) and you want to actually use that 3200MHz ram you bought, looks like you can just replace your mobo and be good to go!

Does the CPU not have an on-die memory controller to communicate directly with RAM? What does the chipset allow for? ELI5.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Does the CPU not have an on-die memory controller to communicate directly with RAM? What does the chipset allow for? ELI5.
    It does, but there is a not insignificant amount of electronics between the CPU and the memory (this is the same on intel boards) so while the chipset its self doesnt talk to the memory, it does play a rather large role in getting those signals to and from the RAM banks. The x470 has a much better layout that allows for much better RAM compatibility up to much higher speeds.

I believe the x470 is supposed to allow for up to 4000MHz RAM. Asus has started certifying their boards will support up to 3200MHz guaranteed (if I read that correctly).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

It does, but there is a not insignificant amount of electronics between the CPU and the memory (this is the same on intel boards) so while the chipset its self doesnt talk to the memory, it does play a rather large role in getting those signals to and from the RAM banks. The x470 has a much better layout that allows for much better RAM compatibility up to much higher speeds.

I believe the x470 is supposed to allow for up to 4000MHz RAM. Asus has started certifying their boards will support up to 3200MHz guaranteed (if I read that correctly).
    The official number from AMD is 2933 Mhz memory speed for Ryzen 2.

Tightening the memory timings on the caches seems to be good for a few percentages of the performance increase. The boost works differently as well as it now keeps the boosted speeds even after the thread count increases. Apparantly the old version didn't do that.

Seems like a decent iteration all in all.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; April 20 2018 at 07:20:35 AM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Alright so this might be a dumb question

I have the 1070 and 2x1080p monitors that just do web browsing discord etc, and the main ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor for gaming

I was under the impression that running the extra side monitors wouldn't be a performance issue for the main monitor but mates are claiming otherwise

any ideas?

There is probably some, but I doubt you can feel the difference.

Just download a benchmark or maybe you own a game with a buildin benchmark and test it yourself.

What is real is that in some cases the card would not downclock when otherwise idle while 3 screens are connected.
    Stop all 3d applications and check with Nvidia inspector, power draw should be ~10watts in .. p0? or p8? state.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Alright so this might be a dumb question

I have the 1070 and 2x1080p monitors that just do web browsing discord etc, and the main ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor for gaming

I was under the impression that running the extra side monitors wouldn't be a performance issue for the main monitor but mates are claiming otherwise

any ideas?
    You can test it yourself, disable the 1080p screens and leave only the main one and run some benchmarks. Then enable them and run some benchmarks. If the difference is less than 5% then it probably is placebo difference. Also, run 3D intensive benchmarks like the Unigine ones and/or 3D Mark Firestrike.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    A 5% difference is a 5% difference, not sure how placebo effects come in to play while benchmarking. As long as it's repeatable it's real.

As for multiple monitors, yes it does make a difference, but not a huge one. The difference has mainly been GPU's not clocking down to their lowest frequencies while only doing normal desktop stuff and such, but I'm not sure how much current generations are still affected.

In other news all the Ryzen 2 and X470 reviews coming out are great. What I'm still thoroughly confused on is memory speeds though. Obviously Zen likes RAM speed, but is a 3200C14 single rank really faster than a 3200C16 dual rank for example? 3200C16 is a lot cheaper at least...

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Whilst it is obvious that roughly carved sheet metal emblazoned with LED-lights and entartete kunst, is all the rage when it comes to computers ITT, I´d like to show you my very own computer made from locally sourced spruce and recycled components.

E:sorted images
    Last edited by walrus; April 20 2018 at 06:46:03 PM.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Your image host is derping

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Whilst it is obvious that roughly carved sheet metal emblazoned with LED-lights and entartete kunst, is all the rage when it comes to computers ITT, I´d like to show you my very own computer made from locally sourced spruce and recycled components.

E:sorted images
    thats pretty neat, but I would watch for that heating up too much and delaminating the fiber board.