hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I am also interested in potential upgrade paths that are price/performance efficient
    4790/K is my suggestion. Everything else looks fine.
    While your motivation is entirely understandable I'd be hesitant to recommend an older Intel CPU in this post-Meltdown/Spectre era. Microsoft says you need Win10 with a 2016 (Skylake, Kaby Lake) or later Intel CPU to hardly notice the slowdown due to the patches, and older CPUs get progressively worse due to missing features used in the mitigation. With a new wave of Spectre exploits being expected over the summer and additional patches coming out after that it's not a good time to invest in older Intel silicon.
    All valid points. However, we're not going to see new CPUs with mitigations designed in until 2019. This would be a stopgap solution.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    I am also interested in potential upgrade paths that are price/performance efficient
    While your motivation is entirely understandable I'd be hesitant to recommend an older Intel CPU in this post-Meltdown/Spectre era. Microsoft says you need Win10 with a 2016 (Skylake, Kaby Lake) or later Intel CPU to hardly notice the slowdown due to the patches, and older CPUs get progressively worse due to missing features used in the mitigation. With a new wave of Spectre exploits being expected over the summer and additional patches coming out after that it's not a good time to invest in older Intel silicon.
    All valid points. However, we're not going to see new CPUs with mitigations designed in until 2019. This would be a stopgap solution.
    Fair enough, if your goal is a cheap temporary solution I completely agree.

AMD isn't vulnerable to Meltdown and only partly to Spectre, and AFAIK Spectre 2 is more difficult to exploit on AMD chips than on Intel chips. So from a security perspective AMD chips are the better buy right now.

Donor
    Agreeing with this. Dropping in a 4790K will be a useful boost for relatively little money compared to a full platform change, especially given the stratospheric price of DDR4 now. At least for gaming, a 4790K with multi-core enhancement enabled keeps up so well with current processors that I wouldn't consider anything below an O/Cd 8700K to be a noticeable upgrade.

As for meltdown and spectre, personally I just disable the patches on my Intel systems (which are all < 5th Gen) as I've always worked on the assumption that any desktop Windows system is insecure anyway.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    As for meltdown and spectre, personally I just disable the patches on my Intel systems (which are all < 5th Gen) as I've always worked on the assumption that any desktop Windows system is insecure anyway.
    We are talking reading everything that passes through your PC's memory (your bank password?) from a browser javascript level insecure here. Meltdown is laughably easy to exploit and abuse at scale. Spectre is a lot harder.

Use a hyper patched shit PC to do srs bsns shit and use desktop for gaming without crippling it with those patches? Idk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Was about to write a long rant about how Aura Sync had a pathetic lineup for addressable RGB (ARGB) products, but I decided to check out ASUS's website.

What's this? New entries?

Holy crap! It's ARGB! It's compatible with my motherboard and ASUS software! It even has an ARGB splitter!

But wait, there's more!

HELP ME DECIDE, FAILHEAP!
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Kill yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Kill yourself?
    I preferred it when you didn't post

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4
    XenosisMk4

Seriously guys?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OK, go ahead, spend money on something with 0 performance-related benefits, then not be able to take a ribbing about suggesting doing so in the hardware (cost-performance) thread.

Ask a totally subjective question, expect an objective answer...

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    OK, go ahead, spend money on something with 0 performance-related benefits, then not be able to take a ribbing about suggesting doing so in the hardware (cost-performance) thread.

Your subjective answer was "kill yourself?"

What are you even on about?

He did not ask for a totally objective answer, he asked for opinions if anything. Chill, goddamn.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd probably buy RGB stuff if I were in high school/uni. Back in the day we used to adapt car lighting and other weird stuff.

I like modding a lot and I used to know a guy who went OCD levels of detail and quality on his mods. I used to do glass etching with a knockoff Dremel clone (yes, we didn't have windowed cases so you had to cut it yourself and then slap plexiglass or even real glass on it ^^

Nowadays it's a little too plug and play, plus I get the impression I'll develop epilepsy if I were to have lights in my PC again. I like the sober huge black tower a bit more now too ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGB is totally subjective. If you like it, great. If you don't, cool. It's not something worth raging about.

I used to fuck about with cold cathodes, so believe me when I say the current trend for RGB LEDs is far, far better for everyone.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I'd probably buy RGB stuff if I were in high school/uni. Back in the day we used to adapt car lighting and other weird stuff.

I like modding a lot and I used to know a guy who went OCD levels of detail and quality on his mods. I used to do glass etching with a knockoff Dremel clone (yes, we didn't have windowed cases so you had to cut it yourself and then slap plexiglass or even real glass on it ^^

Nowadays it's a little too plug and play, plus I get the impression I'll develop epilepsy if I were to have lights in my PC again. I like the sober huge black tower a bit more now too ^^

How do you feel about this rig some mates saw at TG 2 weeks ago?

Reminds me of how the computers looked like inside the hoverships in the matrix
    Also reminds me og when a friend turned off the fans on a old pentium 3 pc to watch it burn or at least die.

PC Mad Max style.

Glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    I used to fuck about with cold cathodes, so believe me when I say the current trend for RGB LEDs is far, far better for everyone.
    Oh god so much this =))

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

How do you feel about this rig some mates saw at TG 2 weeks ago?
    This is literally glorious modding, I'd give that dude some beers for the work he put in there I-just-can't-be-arsed-paying-in-excess-of-200-for-a-case-thus-where's-my-welder-and-Dremel people are the best :3

I was never crazy about RGB, but my new mobo came with it so I toyed around with it. There some neat shit you can do with it but I settled on a mode where it's based upon CPU temp as it is actually kind of useful and tbh the color changing stuff is just obnoxious.