hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Finally got around to uploading pics from my phone. Questionable masculinity has been spoilered.

Meet my newest build: Dashie.

Spoiler:

System is turned off, but RGB effects on motherboard will be active as long as the PSU is on.

Mucked up the taping/painting a bit on the backside, but no one is really going to see this.

Not visible: most of the cabling, and the second 2.5" SSD, hidden on the backside just behind the 2.5" Samsung SSD.

I really should reroute that audio cable draping over the M.2 and RAM slots. But it might not be long enough to do that.

Addressable RGB strip along the bottom of the case. Lights up the window and PSU nicely.

Some stickers I ordered off Redbubble, as well as the stickers included with the motherboard. I only use one sticker, as seen earlier.

Wallpaper: https://i.imgur.com/D7zURZI.png

Final specs and costs. Not included in this is the cost of RB stickers, spray paint and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter so I can use the system with my TV when I want to do VR. Even with those, it comes to a hair under $1300. The ADATA SSD I have hidden was purchased a while ago, and didn't need to be included in the system, but i figured "Why not?". I will upgrade to some G.SKILL TridentZ RGB soon, as well as a ROG Strix Vega card if they ever drop in price. Still haven't decided whether to swap out the stock fans for Noctua PWM fans (for silence) or some RGB fans (for flair).

Benchmark:

I will upload pics and video of the RGB effects SOON(tm).
    Last edited by Nordstern; February 27 2018 at 11:42:06 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

It's... cute

*glances at huge black tower under the desk*

Wish I had your patience to sort everything out, this is what PCs are really all about, customising everything. I gave up on that a long time ago when I got my Lian-Li tower, it's p. much a black monolith that makes no sounds and only has two LEDs on the front (this was rekt when I got the Xonar D2x which has colour coded LEDs inside its jack ports, so it's p. much rainbow at the back of the case lol).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Hmm, was I forgetting something?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Did we ever get that pony dude's pics of his new RGB setup?
    Oh, yes. That. Here you go:

RAM prices were coming down, then they spiked again. No RGB RAM for the foreseeable future.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    It always kinda triggers me that the audio outputs on the motherboard never perfectly line up with the case backplate

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    It always kinda triggers me that the audio outputs on the motherboard never perfectly line up with the case backplate
    Thats why I quite like the case with my latest build that has a removable mobo connector plate.

... what cases don't take a custom plate that comes with each mobo??
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

A lot of high-end mobos now have the backplate built into the IO, it looks a lot nicer.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    A lot of high-end mobos now have the backplate built into the IO, it looks a lot nicer.
    Seen that a couple of times now, looks really good for something that shouldn't matter because it's on the back of your PC anyway.

I'm anxious for the Zen+ announcements later this month, my PC really needs a new mobo + CPU + RAM, everything else is still fine. How much sense does it make to go for a high-end mobo anyway if all you care about is stability and not overclocking? AFAIK only the X470 mobos will be available soonish, so it'll probably be somewhat high-end anyway. Or will we get B450 at the same time?

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Seen that a couple of times now, looks really good for something that shouldn't matter because it's on the back of your PC anyway.

I'm anxious for the Zen+ announcements later this month, my PC really needs a new mobo + CPU + RAM, everything else is still fine. How much sense does it make to go for a high-end mobo anyway if all you care about is stability and not overclocking? AFAIK only the X470 mobos will be available soonish, so it'll probably be somewhat high-end anyway. Or will we get B450 at the same time?
    As somebody sitting on this

I am also interested in potential upgrade paths that are price/performance efficient

I am also interested in potential upgrade paths that are price/performance efficient
    4790/K is my suggestion. Everything else looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    wait, really?

a single incremental step up without even going for a newer generation CPU, why?

i'm mostly thinking about the RAM, since it's the oldest, but I don't think RAM really affects performance past a certain point

wait, really?

a single incremental step up without even going for a newer generation CPU, why?
    You're getting a slight clock boost, and hyperthreading (I took that path, and it made a noticeable difference). Your exact words were "paths that are price/performance efficient". If you hadn't said that, I would have said "Go Ryzen". Video cards and RAM are stupid expensive right now. You can go for a 1080/Ti, but you'll pay a princely sum for it.

edit: UserBenchmark reports your CPU has a 1% edge over my i3-8100 and a i7-8700 has a 27% boost over a 4690K. How much of a boost do you need to consider it worthwhile?

i'm mostly thinking about the RAM, since it's the oldest, but I don't think RAM really affects performance past a certain point
    RAM is fine. Ghost Recon Wildlands barely touches 10GB at 1440p Ultra. And yes, at your current speed, you would see diminishing returns on faster RAM. Linus made a video about it a while back.

Have you tried overclocking your CPU?
    Last edited by Nordstern; April 12 2018 at 11:31:31 PM.

wait, really?

You're getting a slight clock boost, and hyperthreading (I took that path, and it made a noticeable difference). Your exact words were "paths that are price/performance efficient". If you hadn't said that, I would have said "Go Ryzen". Video cards and RAM are stupid expensive right now. You can go for a 1080/Ti, but you'll pay a princely sum for it.

RAM is fine. Ghost Recon Wildlands barely touches 10GB at 1440p Ultra. And yes, at your current speed, you would see diminishing returns on faster RAM. Linus made a video about it a while back.

Ah, it is OC'd to 4.0

interesting though

Where are you noticing loss of performance xeno?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

wait, really?

Ah, it is OC'd to 4.0

interesting though
    Are you running with the stock cooler? Haswells reach 4.4 with only the mildest voltage bump. My 4690 has been running at 4.5 Ghz at 1.25V since day one more or less and it will go higher if I go crazy with the voltage. That's with a Noctua cooler of the larger variety ofc.

Can't say I feel the need to upgrade just yet though, I'll hold out for the 7 nm Ryzen that's coming summer 2019. Who knows, maybe memory prices have dropped by then.

Xeno: Hyperthreading is a great way to boost performance. When I went from a i5-3570 (4C4T) to a i7-3770k (4C8T), I saw a 27-28% boost in benchmarks, which was like adding a 5th core. My Ivy Bridge system now matches a Threadripper 1950X in single-thread performance...but has only 28% of the multi-threaded performance. For $125, I felt it was a good upgrade.

Here's the Linus video I mentioned earlier:

I am using the stock cooler... because I RMA'd a broken Corsair H100i and haven't been bothered to fit the replacement because it's an awkward bastard

Might do that this weekend when I do a cleanout and see where I can get the overclock to

I'm not really feeling many performance issues (other than the ones caused by having an Ultrawide monitor in newer games like FFXV)

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/13/...pu-second-gen/

With last year's Ryzen processors, AMD made a grand re-entry into the world of high-performance desktop computing. Now its improving on those designs with its second-generation Ryzen chips, which are a bit faster and more efficient. And, due to fan demand, AMD is also throwing in free "Wraith" coolers with every CPU. The big takeaway this year: AMD is in an even better place to compete with Intel.

The highest end Ryzen model is the eight-core Ryzen 7 2700X, which replaces the 1800X and 1700X from last year (honestly they weren't that different). With a base clock of 3.7GHz, and a boost speed of 4.3Ghz, it's faster than the 1800X, which ran between 3.6Ghz and 4Ghz. The new chip is also a much better deal at $329, compared with the $399 and $499 launch prices of the 1700X and 1800X. In comparison, Intel's six-core i7-8700K sells for around $350.

At the more affordable end, there's the six-core Ryzen 5 2600, which will go for $199. It's clocked between 3.4Ghz and 3.9GHz, and it should be a solid competitor to Intel's similarly priced Core i5-8500. The new chips are built on AMD's 12 nanometer Zen+ architecture, so you can think of them as a slight upgrade over last year's models. Its true platform followup, Zen 2, is expected to debut next year.

AMD is keeping full details about the new Zen chips under wraps until their April 19th launch. But it did reveal a few tidbits: They'll run on its new X470 AM4 chipset, and they'll support its StoreMI technology, which can speed up disk performance by linking together SSDs, traditional hard disks and RAM.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    While your motivation is entirely understandable I'd be hesitant to recommend an older Intel CPU in this post-Meltdown/Spectre era. Microsoft says you need Win10 with a 2016 (Skylake, Kaby Lake) or later Intel CPU to hardly notice the slowdown due to the patches, and older CPUs get progressively worse due to missing features used in the mitigation. With a new wave of Spectre exploits being expected over the summer and additional patches coming out after that it's not a good time to invest in older Intel silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

Depends on your personal preference - I wouldn't buy a mobo for it alone but it's a nice feature. Lighting there can also help.

In general I wouldn't go high end for a single GPU and non-exotic cooling solution - any decent midrange board from Gigabyte/MSi/ASUS (depending on personal preference) will be solid for a standard build with an average overclock.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'