hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

For 4k you might as well hire some hookers to watch your build it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Make the hookers build it.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Make the hookers build it.
    for 4K you might be able to hire LordServant to build it

4k is roughly what I spent last time, but that included monitors... So, maybe enough for one hooker?

IDK, what's the going rate for a workstation these days?

Also, a few questions...

5ghz i7-8086k? These are a trap correct?

Any other high clockspeed i7 or i9 or threadripper chips out or comming soon I should look at building a new system around?

PCIE (or optane?) HDD's, any recommendations or requirements I should be aware off?

Should I just save my cash/or completely spend on hookers because of lack of performance bumps,

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    C

Also IMHO Intel isn't in a very good place right now so even though there are still a few models that make sense taking a look at the other camp is deffo worth it.

If you want to spend too much money you can take a look at Threadrippers (all the cores) but those aren't necessarily very good for gaming.

PCIE (or optane?) HDD's, any recommendations or requirements I should be aware off?
    While Optane is neato on paper (but much too expensive) for the vast majority of applications an NVMe SSD makes much more sense. As in: nearly as fast, much cheaper, much larger.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    C

Also IMHO Intel isn't in a very good place right now so even though there are still a few models that make sense taking a look at the other camp is deffo worth it.

If you want to spend too much money you can take a look at Threadrippers (all the cores) but those aren't necessarily very good for gaming.

While Optane is neato on paper (but much too expensive) for the vast majority of applications an NVMe SSD makes much more sense. As in: nearly as fast, much cheaper, much larger.
    >Intel isn't in a very good place right now

pardon?

A quick google indicates Ryzen was >10% faster and 25% more cores for ~40% the cost vs the 4xxx, and Ryzen+ bests the 5xxx replacement by >10% still, again 25% more cores, still only 50% the cost.
    So get a Ryzen+, mobo should also be compatible with Zen2 next year.

SSDs, you can look at NVMe connector(s) on your mobo, now with native/bootable support. Spinning rust is still only good for slow, huge storage. Anything else, you're just paying a multi-billion-$ company's RnD dept.

I assume your 4k system is all kinds of fancy liquid cooled & silent? What else even starts to justify that price tag??
    Some obscure workload that involves some (design) hardware you're failing to mention you need compatibility with??

1000 can get you a perfectly adequate machine with latest-gen CPU, 16GB RAM, mid-high end GPU and a new IPS monitor. 2K I can see by maxing the GPU, cooling&case and screen(s). More sounds insane.
    Get a fucking endless 360degree treadmill thing for VR or something.

Edit: Xeno, see the dumpster fire of that Intel not-actually-coming-to-market-even-next-year 28 core "demo" debacle to try overshadow AMD's 32core real product.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; June 19 2018 at 06:09:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Anything for 1k is going to be significantly worse than he already has so not sure that you're even suggesting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    A quick google indicates Ryzen was >10% faster and 25% more cores for ~40% the cost vs the 4xxx, and Ryzen+ bests the 5xxx replacement by >10% still, again 25% more cores, still only 50% the cost.
    So get a Ryzen+, mobo should also be compatible with Zen2 next year.

SSDs, you can look at NVMe connector(s) on your mobo, now with native/bootable support. Spinning rust is still only good for slow, huge storage. Anything else, you're just paying a multi-billion-$ company's RnD dept.

I assume your 4k system is all kinds of fancy liquid cooled & silent? What else even starts to justify that price tag??
    Some obscure workload that involves some (design) hardware you're failing to mention you need compatibility with??

1000 can get you a perfectly adequate machine with latest-gen CPU, 16GB RAM, mid-high end GPU and a new IPS monitor. 2K I can see by maxing the GPU and screen(s). More sounds insane.
    Get a fucking endless 360degree treadmill thing for VR or something.

Edit: Xeno, see the dumpster fire of that Intel not-actually-coming-to-market-even-next-year 28 core "demo" debacle to try overshadow AMD's 32core real product.
    He has 4k to spend, why wouldn't he just go with the 8700k

not hating, just like, why are you comparing a 4xxx or 5xxx chip with the budget he has

Because I put the i7-4930k model number into a site and it said the most direct, newest replacement was a 5xxx.

I'm just saying that 1000 is fine for average, 2000 should be plenty for 95% of users. More requires a good reason to be justified.

Or just wait, see if GPU and RAM prices do come down by the time Zen2's out in ~9months.

"just wait" is such a trap when it comes to PC hardware though, you'll end up waiting for the best deal forever

8700k is nice, quite like mine. Donno what you'd do with the other $3200 though. Could get a proper Quaddro CAD card or two, but unless you're doing a ton of rendering I don't think you'd see any actual advantage over the 1080ti.

I donno. Ive got a 8700k, 1080ti, 16 gigs RAM, and it absolutely crushes anything I've thrown at it. I spent about ~3k on it, but that was for the whole kit and kaboodle including a 34" curved monitor.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    "just wait" is such a trap when it comes to PC hardware though, you'll end up waiting for the best deal forever
    It's generally a mistake to wait on new hardware, but for a 4K build that's not urgent it's hard to argue against holding off a couple of months for Threadripper II. 32 cores / 64 threads at 3GHz+ on the desktop is such a huge deal.

And at this point I wouldn't recommend any Intel chip for a high-end build. The stream of security issues and the necessary performance-sapping patches seems to be endless, plus there's the recently discovered hyperthreading performance problems with some apps on Skylake and Coffeelake processors due to the PAUSE instruction having very high latency on those architectures.

Did any of you guys read what he's doing with it? Talking about gaming...

3D design work
    Pattern, how about you link your dA account for a glimpse.

Anyway, as far as I can see, I'd wait until Nvidia drops the next generation of GPUs and then go for Quadros (or whatever their workstation line is).

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

The upside of threadripper though is you dont just get all the cores, you get all the PCIe as well.. If you are running multi-gpu (I dont know say quadro because fuck sli these days) then you can go 16x 16x 8x no issues.. If you arent then you have a billion lanes to run NVMe drives from... It really depends on what you are doing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

So....

Should I think about making a new PC for workings at homes and stuff? (mostly 3d and motion)
    Budget is 4000
    No rush whatsoever,

Previous PC: i7-4930k @4.3ghz OC, 64gb of ram, gtx 1080 ti.

Likely upgrade routes... More cores, more GPU's, maybe fancy system drives

Would the IPC increases or any chipset features in any of the new generation of CPU's make an upgrade worthwhile? (eg +30% improvement from above)

I`m running almost exactly the same but with a Maxwell Titan X instead of a 1080Ti.

What's wrong with your stuff and why would you change it? I'm doing 3D as well and I didn't feel the need for more speed (usually I let it render over night, when gym, when going to work). Granted, could be quicker, but not so much significantly quicker tbqfh.

4k is a few nice vacations, I'd take that instead of the upgrade.

BTW, all this NVME SSD upgrade recommendations are amusing me. I still have PCIE drives that I have nothing to plug them into because that interface is not compatible with what's found nowadays in laptops. So I bought enclosures PCIE to SATA which did the trick, but seriously. SATA classic drive configuration is a must for all around compatibility, don't paint yourselves into a corner.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Just saw this. I suppose when you got the 4930k you were keen to run it at 5GHz? It can most certainly do that. But not with 64GB RAM. I doubt the 8086k can do it. Generally you can reach high clock speeds, but not with enough RAM to make it good for 3D/animations/real work. You could probably ball park it around 4.5GHz tops with 64GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Did any of you guys read what he's doing with it? Talking about gaming...

3D design work
    Pattern, how about you link your dA account for a glimpse.

Anyway, as far as I can see, I'd wait until Nvidia drops the next generation of GPUs and then go for Quadros (or whatever their workstation line is).

Tapapapatalk
    Just no. Quadros are a freaking money sink with no real advantage except some fringe cases. Nowadays gaming cards (top end at least) can drive more than 3 different desktops on as many monitors (yeah, some couldn't more than 2 desktops at one point in time) and offer good viewport FPS as well as nice GPU performance if you want to use a GPU accelerated renderer (hint: don't).

Yes, you want a single card and usually that means getting a high end, which means shelling out and then watch it drop in value.

Honestly, for rendering work at this point in time I'd just go with assembling a mini rendering farm out of cheap CPUs on cheap MBs with shit RAM but with enough rendering speed when combined to dwarf a workstation. You finish your stuff, feed it to the render farm and enjoy not having the workstation be unusable for the next X hours. But it's just theoretical and I can't be bothered running the numbers just yet. Advantage would be it can be placed somewhere out of ear's reach and cooled industrially (hello water cooling loop).

And you could still jump on the crypto mining bandwagon, or maybe get the cheap wrecked cards from it for your render farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Just saw this. I suppose when you got the 4930k you were keen to run it at 5GHz? It can most certainly do that. But not with 64GB RAM. I doubt the 8086k can do it. Generally you can reach high clock speeds, but not with enough RAM to make it good for 3D/animations/real work. You could probably ball park it around 4.5GHz tops with 64GB RAM.
    Yeah, generally I'd rather have fewer, faster cores 6-8 is the sweet spot. I'm using a h100i for cooling at the moment, zero experience with custom water loops (they seem scary). To properly make use of threadripper I'd have to change to arnold, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just wanted to poke my head above the water and see if the 5-10% I've been putting away could improve productivity by 10-30% on average, if I upgraded my CPU/mb now.

Alternatively, I could just go for broke.