hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Duck - that looks sweet as fuck until you remember customs and excise.

You'll almost certainly get stung for VAT at 20% and you'll get hit with customs duty at 2.5% as well - which puts the card pretty much bang on current market rates for a GTX 1080.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Any particular reason you're going for Skylake X, especially a Skylake X CPU with only 28 lanes?

I would look towards the i7-8700K - the CPU is slightly more expensive but the motherboard will be cheaper, probably work out around the same.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

If you're buying a new mobo anyway, why not a Ryzen for less cost, bundled cooler, and much longer socket support?
    And failing that, why not an 8700 over a 7800? https://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus
    Why 4x4GB, meaning some will need to be removed for any increase in capacity, when 2x8GB also seems cheaper for the same suppplier & product range?

...wait, wtf is that overbuild mobo? 3 M.2 slots, 8 RAM slots, who are you kidding if you're only buying a 6-core Intel for it?

Duck, ensure the rest of your house is in order, w.r.t. PSU (not just MOAR Ws), sufficient SSDs. A new CPU is nice, but really not a big upgrade unless you're planning to use things that actually scale to many cores.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 20 2017 at 08:33:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Any particular reason you're going for Skylake X, especially a Skylake X CPU with only 28 lanes?

I would look towards the i7-8700K - the CPU is slightly more expensive but the motherboard will be cheaper, probably work out around the same.
    No reason at all, just saw it on the configs in the first post and it still has one of the best ratings for a CPU so figured it was a good starting point. Any particular recommendations for the motherboard?

ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel Looks to fit the bill

And it saves me ~$50 so good call.

Yeah the configs are out of date because Intel decided to drop Coffee Lake early.

The Z270 doesn't work with the 8700K despite being the same socket because :reasons:

Try this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zCrdsJ

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    If you're buying a new mobo anyway, why not a Ryzen for less cost, bundled cooler, and much longer socket support?
    And failing that, why not an 8700 over a 7800? https://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus
    Why 4x4GB, meaning some will need to be removed for any increase in capacity, when 2x8GB also seems cheaper for the same suppplier & product range?

...wait, wtf is that overbuild mobo? 3 M.2 slots, 8 RAM slots, who are you kidding if you're only buying a 6-core Intel for it?

Duck, ensure the rest of your house is in order, w.r.t. PSU (not just MOAR Ws), sufficient SSDs. A new CPU is nice, but really not a big upgrade unless you're planning to use things that actually scale to many cores.
    Yeah I didn't really look to closely at that mobo, was just looking mainly at rating and price; but yeah very overkill. RAM will probably be the most up for change item as there usually tends to be a lot of shit on sale, So 2x8s are certainly an option to look at or even 4x8 if the brand & price is right.

Yeah i have a lovely case and a fairly new high quality superflower 650w power supply. 850ssd but will get a cheap second hand m.2 drive (usually get a samsung 960 250gig for about £65 if i dont rush). Im happy with my Gtx 970 for now (only a 1080p screen anyways) so figured a good new amd platform mobo offers best upgrade paths from here. Just thought that deal of a Gtx 1080 might get me to delay (RIP customs.) Although i didn't pay any customs on my chinese laptop (It said $20 value wheyooooooo).

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Yeah the configs are out of date because Intel decided to drop Coffee Lake early.

The Z270 doesn't work with the 8700K despite being the same socket because :reasons:
    Coffee Lake requires the 300-series exclusively. Yes, it's silly, but that's how it is.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Try this:

OK one more thing, I am looking at Z370 boards, and I have noticed that a lot of them have these huge southbridge(?) coolers, I am assuming that they're designed to be clear of a fullsize card correct? Just wondering cuz I did run into this issue with my old X58 board.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

Try this:

OK one more thing, I am looking at Z370 boards, and I have noticed that a lot of them have these huge southbridge(?) coolers, I am assuming that they're designed to be clear of a fullsize card correct? Just wondering cuz I did run into this issue with my old X58 board.
    I bought a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119033

and it supports both an NH-D15 (although the heatsinks on my RAM required me to mount one of the fans a bit higher than the other, no negative effects but aesthetics) and a Titan X with zero problems. Gud'n'Tight though.

Also Samsung 960 Pro M.2 if you can swing it is going to be super hotness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

Try this:

I bought a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119033

and it supports both an NH-D15 (although the heatsinks on my RAM required me to mount one of the fans a bit higher than the other, no negative effects but aesthetics) and a Titan X with zero problems. Gud'n'Tight though.

Also Samsung 960 Pro M.2 if you can swing it is going to be super hotness.
    Alright looks like the clearances are pretty similar. That 960 does look very nice, added it to the wish list, so we'll see what I can pinch when the time comes

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Yeah i have a lovely case and a fairly new high quality superflower 650w power supply. 850ssd but will get a cheap second hand m.2 drive (usually get a samsung 960 250gig for about £65 if i dont rush). Im happy with my Gtx 970 for now (only a 1080p screen anyways) so figured a good new amd platform mobo offers best upgrade paths from here. Just thought that deal of a Gtx 1080 might get me to delay (RIP customs.) Although i didn't pay any customs on my chinese laptop (It said $20 value wheyooooooo).
    Between ebuyer and amazon, it seems a 1600 is £175, mobo is £60-80 (consider mATX with the right slot counts i.e. 4 RAM ones, true NVMe M.2), and 16GB DDR4 is £155+ *.
    Amazingly my spring build seems to have appreciated about £100 since I bought it. Maybe you'll see deals offering close, but I doubt it, they're selling fine and there's just no reason to not make profit in the face of demand.

*Edit: tell a lie, you can get some reasonable brand full DIMM 19200 stuff with or without stupid heatspreaders for £130+. So many listings either not in stock or actually SODIMMs though. And you still want to double-check compatibility & speeds after BIOS update to AGESA 1.0.0.6+.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 20 2017 at 10:30:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    So, rant mode on. I decided to build a Threadripper 1950x system as an experiment for our CAD stations to see what it could to. Very nice Fractal case, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Corsair PSU and RAM and a fucking Asus Zenith Extreme X399 board.

Short story, after much swearing, youtubing and more swearing and forum questing, I RMA'ed both the board and the CPU because the TR4 CPU cage is impossible to close without applying enormous force to the three locking screws. According to someone on Reddit, there are two actual board manufacturers; Foxcon and another one and apparently the Foxcon boards have tolerances that are so huge that the CPUs slide around the holding bracket unless you place and align them yourself.

I really, truly hope that Asus gets this sorted out, because there are so many complaints out there, it's easy to see how it could damage the brand.
    Update on this sorry mess. Asus, and therefore also the place I bought this $500 piece of shit has refused to replace the RMA board because "a screw on the cpu is missing". I assume they mean one of the three locking screws that hold the cpu in place on the TR4 socket, but they didn't bother to specify. I lost my shit with the arrogant little hipster salesman cunt at the shop today, when he all but accused me of "opening the product" (a motherboard) and told him that unless we have the product by friday (it's already been gone two months), we'll no longer use that company for our equipment. He got all snotty that of course he couldn't say if they would replace it and I would just have to wait even more, an oh, he would need my statement in writing that I hadn't "opened the product". So I just hung up the phone and wrote the company a mail saying that we would no longer buy from them since their behaviour is an insult and borders on fraud.

Bought another board from another company this afternoon and it should get here tomorrow.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    What I've got so far. Help me fill in the blanks and decide. It's for a quiet RGB build.

I doubt I need more than 16GB of RAM, and I don't know what PSUs are good these days. I've had my eye on a NZXT AIO cooler with moving RGB lights, so I might get that.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

So, rant mode on. I decided to build a Threadripper 1950x system as an experiment for our CAD stations to see what it could to. Very nice Fractal case, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Corsair PSU and RAM and a fucking Asus Zenith Extreme X399 board.

Short story, after much swearing, youtubing and more swearing and forum questing, I RMA'ed both the board and the CPU because the TR4 CPU cage is impossible to close without applying enormous force to the three locking screws. According to someone on Reddit, there are two actual board manufacturers; Foxcon and another one and apparently the Foxcon boards have tolerances that are so huge that the CPUs slide around the holding bracket unless you place and align them yourself.

I really, truly hope that Asus gets this sorted out, because there are so many complaints out there, it's easy to see how it could damage the brand.
    Update on this sorry mess. Asus, and therefore also the place I bought this $500 piece of shit has refused to replace the RMA board because "a screw on the cpu is missing". I assume they mean one of the three locking screws that hold the cpu in place on the TR4 socket, but they didn't bother to specify. I lost my shit with the arrogant little hipster salesman cunt at the shop today, when he all but accused me of "opening the product" (a motherboard) and told him that unless we have the product by friday (it's already been gone two months), we'll no longer use that company for our equipment. He got all snotty that of course he couldn't say if they would replace it and I would just have to wait even more, an oh, he would need my statement in writing that I hadn't "opened the product". So I just hung up the phone and wrote the company a mail saying that we would no longer buy from them since their behaviour is an insult and borders on fraud.

Bought another board from another company this afternoon and it should get here tomorrow.

Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015