hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3037383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    So an update. Found a Corsair H115I Pro 280mm AIO on sale and thought I might give it a shot as it was only 200 Börks more expensive than a Noctua DH-15 which would have been my first option. Powered it up using my current rig and it seems rather nice, the stock fans are Noctua quiet™ and the pump noiselessly vibrated in my palm. It seems like it could work rather nicely and I've started the assembly in the R6.

Now since I'm building this computer over an extended period of time I keep my eye out for bargains and I found another one which puts me in a tricky spot. There's an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING with a 650 börks (75 USD) off of it's saleprice. A bit higher end than what I usually go for but atm the price is right and it's a fine mobo. Really tempted to get it but it would have to be flashed before I put a 3000 series cpu in it so I'd have to find a cheap AM4 cpu which, in turn, would offset the cost saving somewhat.

I doubt it's worth waiting for x570 boards but then again that might just be my upgrade itch that's messing with me. Rumour has it PCIE gen4 support can be added to PCIE slots that is no more then 7.5 inches from the cpu on current mobos but even if that's not the case I doubt I'd ever know the difference.

To buy or not to buy..
    Didn't AMD offer older CPUs on free loan so you could flash your motherboard?
    Yes, they did that with the Ryzen 2000 series. But you have to ask nicely and have documentation. I think stores like Micro Center provided this service free of charge as well.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    So an update. Found a Corsair H115I Pro 280mm AIO on sale and thought I might give it a shot as it was only 200 Börks more expensive than a Noctua DH-15 which would have been my first option. Powered it up using my current rig and it seems rather nice, the stock fans are Noctua quiet™ and the pump noiselessly vibrated in my palm. It seems like it could work rather nicely and I've started the assembly in the R6.

Now since I'm building this computer over an extended period of time I keep my eye out for bargains and I found another one which puts me in a tricky spot. There's an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING with a 650 börks (75 USD) off of it's saleprice. A bit higher end than what I usually go for but atm the price is right and it's a fine mobo. Really tempted to get it but it would have to be flashed before I put a 3000 series cpu in it so I'd have to find a cheap AM4 cpu which, in turn, would offset the cost saving somewhat.

I doubt it's worth waiting for x570 boards but then again that might just be my upgrade itch that's messing with me. Rumour has it PCIE gen4 support can be added to PCIE slots that is no more then 7.5 inches from the cpu on current mobos but even if that's not the case I doubt I'd ever know the difference.

To buy or not to buy..
    Didn't AMD offer older CPUs on free loan so you could flash your motherboard?
    Yes, they did that with the Ryzen 2000 series. But you have to ask nicely and have documentation. I think stores like Micro Center provided this service free of charge as well.

Yes they did but it's just a bother having to mess with shipping, emails etc. The effort isn't worth the 20-40$ it would cost to get a cheap used AM4 cpu.

And ofc there's the fact that you have to buy the new cpu first and then get the loaner for flashing. Just imagine having that brand spanking new cpu sitting on your desk mocking you while you wait for the loaner to arrive... (Yes I'm very much aware of how it sounds but I'm only half joking)

I just realised the first os that ran on my CPU was xp.. It has outlasted Windows 7..

I might need to upgrade this year..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Bought my I7 920 with 2x2TB HDD's and 9800GTX and 12GB RAM ~10 years ago for £900. Upgraded with an x5660, gtx970 and added an SSD over the years. I was looking at a decent starter build that cold be upgraded for a friends kid and shockingly the benchmarks pretty much match my current PC's for the same original price (Ryzen 3, 1060 8GB case etc.)...

10 Years of advancement gives us the same performance for the same price, OK a maybe little better if you add cost of the upgrades.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

That's what happens when you look at budget builds

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Bought my I7 920 with 2x2TB HDD's and 9800GTX and 12GB RAM ~10 years ago for £900. Upgraded with an x5660, gtx970 and added an SSD over the years. I was looking at a decent starter build that cold be upgraded for a friends kid and shockingly the benchmarks pretty much match my current PC's for the same original price (Ryzen 3, 1060 8GB case etc.)...

10 Years of advancement gives us the same performance for the same price, OK a maybe little better if you add cost of the upgrades.
    It's one of the reasons I keep holding back on upgrading my desktop that was (re)built in 2013-2014. I would have to spend a lot (read in excess of 2k just for the box) for an actual improvement and that improvement may translate into something like 10-15%, definitely not worth it.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

There's no good reason not to have an SSD now though, and they're legit 10x faster than HDDs.
    And then when you have something that scales across cores, e.g. multimedia processing or code compiling, you can actually get the direct scaling of going from 2-4 cores to 12+, and it's so very nice, all at budget prices because you're not chasing GHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

So if Ryzen 3rd gen is going to have PCI Express 4.0, how long do we have to wait before other products using it appear?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

So if Ryzen 3rd gen is going to have PCI Express 4.0, how long do we have to wait before other products using it appear?
    We already have them? https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ann...60-7nm-vega-20

For consumers we will have the Radeon VII this week.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; February 5 2019 at 06:58:24 AM.

Got the Noctua cooler. I can still notice when the fan speeds up suddenly but with some cooling profile adjustments it's less annoying than the Cooler Master. I don't have low profile RAM so I clipped a non-PWM 120mm fan on the 2nd position that just runs constantly. The old cooler did have a bit too much heat sink compound so that probably wasn't helping. The Noctua mounting hardware is also much more stable and less likely rotate on the CPU heat spreader if it gets bumped, so that's a plus.

Getting idle temps only a few degrees above ambient now. Ran a few 15-40 minute stress tests with AIDA64 and I've been getting sustained high 70s for 100% CPU loads, with occasional spikes as high as 83. It is still winter, so will have to wait to see if it ends up thermal throttling during the summer.

I can put the 212 EVO to use elsewhere so overall I'm OK with having spent the extra money.

Speaking of ramping fans; I started using speedfan some time ago. It's a bit finicky to setup but there's always a handy youtube vid to help you out. It was particulary helpfull since my old case has pretty crappy cooling and tying the case fans to the gpu temp instead of cpu made the overall noise levels drop quite noticably as the GPU fan spun up less.

Can recommend.

We already have them? https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ann...60-7nm-vega-20

For consumers we will have the Radeon VII this week.
    Nope, VII ships with 3.0. Check the product listings.
    Last edited by Nordstern; February 10 2019 at 12:58:57 AM.

Yeah I noticed. That's what I get for assuming AMD would leave that feaure untouched from the Instinct card.

Is this still the thread to come to for budget hardware suggestions? I just got an RX 590 to replace my 390X and am thinking about building a budget rig around the 390X for the wife or guests..
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

If you're in the UK, you can have my old Phenom 965II + 8GB DDR3 + motherboard. Heatsink & fan optional.

Disclaimer: it's all dusty as fuck so you'll be spending a good half hour cleaning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Am in US but maybe shipping wouldn't be terrible?
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    I'll send you my old i5-3570 and 8GB DDR3 if you can find a board for it, maybe a 2.5" hard drive too. If you can wait until the end of the semester, I'll be building a 6th/7th gen system (don't know the details yet) for class that I won't need, so I can part with it for the cost.
    Last edited by Nordstern; February 20 2019 at 04:11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    If you're in the UK, you can have my old Phenom 965II + 8GB DDR3 + motherboard. Heatsink & fan optional.

Disclaimer: it's all dusty as fuck so you'll be spending a good half hour cleaning it.
    I'd take that off you please if the offer is there (I'm UK)? Trying to build something for the step-daughter

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    I'll send you my old i5-3570 and 8GB DDR3 if you can find a board for it, maybe a 2.5" hard drive too. If you can wait until the end of the semester, I'll be building a 6th/7th gen system (don't know the details yet) for class that I won't need, so I can part with it for the cost.
    That sounds good, I'm not building it immediately so hit me up when you are ready
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Latest thinking is Ryzen 3000 and some form of Navi early July, my holiday period is Apr-Apr this year I have 25 days unspent and getting it payed out over 3 months. It may be fortuitous timing unless AMD delay/every one is wrong with speculation or Ryzen 3000 and Navi perform very poorly.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.