hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 377784858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1840

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    There's not wanting to build your own PC and buying a pre-built and there's buying Alienware.

https://youtu.be/VRFEr3rAizY

They used their accountant to order PCs from system builders and compared the results.

Tapapapatalk
    Rip I have an Alienware M15

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Stick with PBO until you feel perceptibly CPU limited
    I mean I mostly play simulators and strategy games. I pretty much always feel CPU limited.

New project. Cases of Yore.

I've been meaning to replace my old Android Box for the TV since it won't cooperate on a whole host of things and I started looking at various ITX builds. A few things looked interesting but most things were either rather large or very expensive. (Looking at you Louqe)

Now, I have this old Shuttle X case in a closet that had its PSU burnt out years ago and I've always liked the look and the size of it but never found the time to do anything with it. Well that changes today!

Parts list
      Spoiler:
    Shuttle PC45G Shuttle 250W (80+) XPC Power supply Strömförsörjning - 250 Watt - 40 mm - 80 Plus
    2673806 ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Moderkort - AMD B450 - AMD AM4 socket - DDR4 RAM - Mini-ITX
    2635988 AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Wraith Stealth - Raven Ridge CPU - 4 kärnor 3,5 GHz - AMD AM4 - AMD Boxed (PIB - med kylare)
    2687216 Corsair Force MP510 M.2 SSD - 240GB
    2512327 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 BK DC - 16GB
    2469401 Noctua NF-A8 PWM - lådfläkt Lådfläkt - 80 mm - 17 dBA

And it's gonna go into this beauty.

Spoiler:

Old timers will notice the Firewire port.

Obviously the heatpipe won't fit onto the socket, it'll be discarded unless I can magick it in place. I'm planning to start out with the stock fan from my main rig's 3600x. Looking forward to some Dremel work and drilling early next year.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; December 27 2019 at 09:08:32 PM.

No dedicated GPU?

Nope, it's relegated to streaming duties and Steamlink.

Who knows, maybe Stadia will be a thing.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Old timers will notice the Firewire port.
    Anyone who remembers Shuttle is an old timer. And yes, I looked at that case (or one very similar to it) over a decade ago. But ITX back then was horrible. Now, it's good, but other companies like Fractal Design and Corsair have entered the fray.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

CableMod shipment came today, despite the bad weather (yay for DHL!). That means I could finally progress on my build. Some thoughts:

- CableMod is committing highway robbery with their prices. I knew this going in, but it's ridiculous that their Chinese manufacturer (TL Sourcing) charges less than $6 for my cables, then it gets sold to me for over $40, with $20 flat rate for shipping. Absolutely disgusting, but it was necessary for the color scheme and ability to actually use my system, due to the below issue.
    - Corsair's RMx/RMi power supplies are really nice, and have very low ripple. It does this by putting capacitors in the cables near the plugs. Unfortunately, this makes the cables super stiff, and I was unable to bend the video card cables enough to get the glass panel on. When I replaced the stock cables with CableMod cables individually sleeved in paracord, it made things infinitely easier, and much better looking.
    - It appears my motherboard does not have addressable RGB. Which is fine, except that the GPU support I bought doesn't work with 4-pin RGB. Bummer.
    - Perusing Corsair's fan options, it seems I can just buy the colored fans I want, without needing to mess with the cabling nightmare that is the Commander Pro. Another piece of kit I probably won't need. Would have been nice to know before I spent $50 on it...
    - After two long years, Creative actually updated the driver for the sound card I'm using. And the patch notes indicate they fixed the issues I was annoyed with the last time I used the card. I'm honestly shocked, as I figured the product was EOL.
    - Windows 10 installed without any major issues. It did create a reserved partition on my SSD rather than my NVMe drive. y u do dis, Windows?

All parts seem to be in working order and the color setup is almost done. Will continue installing more software tomorrow, followed by the AIO. Then it will be finished. Will upload pictures tomorrow.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    - CableMod is committing highway robbery with their prices. I knew this going in, but it's ridiculous that their Chinese manufacturer (TL Sourcing) charges less than $6 for my cables, then it gets sold to me for over $40, with $20 flat rate for shipping. Absolutely disgusting, but it was necessary for the color scheme and ability to actually use my system, due to the below issue.
    Well clearly it works so...

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    - Corsair's RMx/RMi power supplies are really nice, and have very low ripple. It does this by putting capacitors in the cables near the plugs. Unfortunately, this makes the cables super stiff, and I was unable to bend the video card cables enough to get the glass panel on. When I replaced the stock cables with CableMod cables individually sleeved in paracord, it made things infinitely easier, and much better looking.
    So it's a good power supply because of the cable you threw out? Not trying to be snarky here, genuinely trying to understand.

- Windows 10 installed without any major issues. It did create a reserved partition on my SSD rather than my NVMe drive. y u do dis, Windows?
    I tend to install Windows with only one drive in the system and then add the others later, makes for less chances of things going wrong. Also I've cloned all my partitions to a new drive a number of times and then wiped the old drive, that works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    So it's a good power supply because of the cable you threw out? Not trying to be snarky here, genuinely trying to understand.
    The RMx is a 80 Plus Gold PSU, so it's already very efficient. The cables simply add to the quality by reducing voltage ripple; you're not required to use those specific cables.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    computer just utterly shit itself without warning, took three reboots to get back in and no error messages

i'm sure everything is fine

we need an upside down smiley face emoji

I'm planning on putting a new motherboard/processor/ram into my computer (re-using everything else which is only about 18 months old, although I might get a bigger SSD) and the B450 motherboard potentially needing a bios update for the newer Ryzen CPUs is doing my nut in.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    computer just utterly shit itself without warning, took three reboots to get back in and no error messages

looks like it may have been a bad gpu driver, but i'm going to strip everything down and air-clean it because it's well over-due anyway. If i was looking for a new PC around £800 (i can put together obvs) what would i be looking at? I mostly just game (battlefield, random other things), it's driving one screen although i'd like to get another at some point and i've got an unboxed 860evo i could put into it, along with whatever's worth carrying over from the following;

i5 4690k
    290 tri-x
    a kingston 250gb ssd, currently used for OS
    a WD 1tb hdd, currently used for everything else
    16gb of ddr3

also don't need any peripherals (apart from potentially a second screen further down the road). My not having a clue about this sort of thing thoughts is realistically it's only worth carrying over the drives...

Also i'd love your suggestions, but i'm also in the middle of saving for a new car so it might be a few months before i complete a new pc

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    The RMx is a 80 Plus Gold PSU, so it's already very efficient. The cables simply add to the quality by reducing voltage ripple; you're not required to use those specific cables.
    Ahh, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrenda View Post
    I'm planning on putting a new motherboard/processor/ram into my computer (re-using everything else which is only about 18 months old, although I might get a bigger SSD) and the B450 motherboard potentially needing a bios update for the newer Ryzen CPUs is doing my nut in.
    If you just bought the Mainboard and it's not super old stock, it should be fine. Certainly was when a friend of mine built one a month ago.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

looks like it may have been a bad gpu driver, but i'm going to strip everything down and air-clean it because it's well over-due anyway. If i was looking for a new PC around £800 (i can put together obvs) what would i be looking at? I mostly just game (battlefield, random other things), it's driving one screen although i'd like to get another at some point and i've got an unboxed 860evo i could put into it, along with whatever's worth carrying over from the following;

i5 4690k
    290 tri-x
    a kingston 250gb ssd, currently used for OS
    a WD 1tb hdd, currently used for everything else
    16gb of ddr3

also don't need any peripherals (apart from potentially a second screen further down the road). My not having a clue about this sort of thing thoughts is realistically it's only worth carrying over the drives...

Also i'd love your suggestions, but i'm also in the middle of saving for a new car so it might be a few months before i complete a new pc
    A 4790K would be a noticable upgrade, but probably not enough. I would keep the storage, but sell the rest. Use the 860 EVO for your system drive and the HDD for game storage (steam will allow you to decide which drive to install each game on, so you can easily scale with multiple drives).

For a new system:
    Ryzen 5 3600 (upgrade to a better CPU when Zen 2+ arrives)
    B450 board, or X570 if you feel the need for speed.
    16GB DD4 3200/3600
    No recommendation for video card as I don't know your market. Maybe see if you can pick up a used 980 Ti or 1070 for a cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrenda View Post
    Why? You have options: wait for retailer/mobo manufac to confirm the stock has already been flashed; flash it using your existing Ryzen CPU before putting in the new one; get AMD to loan you an older Ryzen CPU to do this as they have an official programme for this; other options?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Relevant video, published yesterday, no less:

I'm seeing the 4790K selling for $160-300 on ebay. For that price, just buy a new R5 3600.

No recommendation for video card as I don't know your market. Maybe see if you can pick up a used 980 Ti or 1070 for a cheap price.
    2060 super or 5700xt would both be fine I think