hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 266673747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1641

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Ordered my new computer stuff yesterday, thank you all for your feedback. I was wondering how frequently you good people tend to update your main computer bits (i.e. motherboard & CPU) - my current one is four and a half years old, would that about average?
    errrrm... when was the i5 2500k released?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Ordered my new computer stuff yesterday, thank you all for your feedback. I was wondering how frequently you good people tend to update your main computer bits (i.e. motherboard & CPU) - my current one is four and a half years old, would that about average?
    errrrm... when was the i5 2500k released?
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-70-ghz.html

Q1'11 according to Intel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Wow, that long ago?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    My old Phenom 965 lasted from 2010 to 2018 when I got this Ryzen 2700, so 8 years, but tbf my scheme is to upgrade it with a Ryzen 3 a couple years after they launch, when they hit the kind of price point that 2700s are now.

PS 159 for a 2700 on Amazon now. 8c/16t for under 160 quid... what a time to be alive. It's like the K7/K8 days again.
    notbad. Shame my upgrade path would also include a not awful motherboard and they get a bit pricier. B350 regrets
    Then you probably shouldn't even start to worry about it until the 5000 series comes out in 2021. If you're going to have to get a new board anyway, you might as well go for Socket AM5, DDR5, PCIE4/5 and whatever goodness 5nm process brings. Or maybe even whatever Intel produce if they've decided they still want to compete in the desktop CPU market.

PS Which B350? Some of them will run Ryzen 2s
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I thought all boards were compatible (as long as they got a BIOS update)?
    Some manufacturers are better than others in updating BIOSs, especially when it comes to low end boards.
    MSI B350 gaming. Non pr. Its pretty average.

My old Phenom 965 lasted from 2010 to 2018 when I got this Ryzen 2700, so 8 years, but tbf my scheme is to upgrade it with a Ryzen 3 a couple years after they launch, when they hit the kind of price point that 2700s are now.

PS 159 for a 2700 on Amazon now. 8c/16t for under 160 quid... what a time to be alive. It's like the K7/K8 days again.
    notbad. Shame my upgrade path would also include a not awful motherboard and they get a bit pricier. B350 regrets
    Then you probably shouldn't even start to worry about it until the 5000 series comes out in 2021. If you're going to have to get a new board anyway, you might as well go for Socket AM5, DDR5, PCIE4/5 and whatever goodness 5nm process brings. Or maybe even whatever Intel produce if they've decided they still want to compete in the desktop CPU market.

PS Which B350? Some of them will run Ryzen 2s
    Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I thought all boards were compatible (as long as they got a BIOS update)?
    Some manufacturers are better than others in updating BIOSs, especially when it comes to low end boards.
    MSI B350 gaming. Non pr. Its pretty average.
    This one?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/suppo...-PRO#down-bios

Or that one?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...50-GAMING-PLUS

The PLUS doesn't explicitly state that it supports 3000s, but the latest BIOS does have ABBA agesa update so it doesn't not support them either if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Malcanis; October 31 2019 at 12:09:42 PM. Reason: spel is difkultt
    I love Malcanis!

i5 2500k was solid. Its what I'm in the process of upgrading from currently.

Think I'm just going to settle on a 3600 with 16Gb of 3200 cl14 and a 5700 xt.

Looks to be the best bang to buck ratio currently. I was tempted to go for a 2070 Super.. but after reflecting on the state of RTX I dont think I can be bothered with the extra 150 cost.

My rig built in 2009 had 2 new gpu's replaced boot hdd with ssd relegated boot drives to storage added a couple of extra ssd's as they have dropped in price for games storage and 1 cpu upgrade (i7 920 to Xeon 6core), the wifes built in 2011 2500k 1 gpu upgrade (to a used gtx970) and a 120GB ssd as a cache drive. Main reason i need to upgrade is RAM and windows wont deal with the onboard RAID any longer.

I don't think we can ever expect to see PC's stay as effective as the 1st gen I7's again it has only been such a long run thanks to Intel holding back any major new tech's and so little increase in raw cpu power. It is also a shame that back in 2009 i only had to spend 800 to get a similarly placed pc now will easily double that (cpu and gpu were ~200 each... back then).

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post

Looks to be the best bang to buck ratio currently. I was tempted to go for a 2070 Super.. but after reflecting on the state of RTX I dont think I can be bothered with the extra 150 cost.
    This is what I really should do but 32GB is just calling me and I already have 6 cores it just wont seem like a proper upgrade with out at least adding a couple more.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post

This is what I really should do but 32GB is just calling me and I already have 6 cores it just wont seem like a proper upgrade with out at least adding a couple more.
    If you're building a PC to last you a few years, 32Gb is just prudent.
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post

Just get more ram later?

16 is more than enough atm.

You can't get more RAM later because stuff goes out of production or isn't available anymore from the usual sellers. I can't find my RAM for example anywhere - in fact it became unavailable less than a year after buying it - so I would have been stuck with a minimal amount OR worse, having to sell the minimal amount at a shit price and get new shiny RAM (and more) and overall end up with a loss.

Getting 64GB RAM was the best thing I did in 2013.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    You can't get more RAM later because stuff goes out of production or isn't available anymore from the usual sellers. I can't find my RAM for example anywhere - in fact it became unavailable less than a year after buying it - so I would have been stuck with a minimal amount OR worse, having to sell the minimal amount at a shit price and get new shiny RAM (and more) and overall end up with a loss.

Nobody is talking buy more ram four years later here.

Your use cases are the most ridiculous edge cases imaginable, you should know that by now.

64 is entirely pointless even today outside specific needs that I assume they don't have because they haven't mentioned anything of the sort and didn't make it a priority but just sth "nice"

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    It's the first of November.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/sh...09244737172350

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Your use cases are the most ridiculous edge cases imaginable, you should know that by now.

64 is entirely pointless even today outside specific needs that I assume they don't have because they haven't mentioned anything of the sort and didn't make it a priority but just sth "nice"
    Your argument might be more persuasive if you weren't the one chimping out about the resources that the Steam Launcher uses in the Steam Sales thread.

It eats about 1/2 of one of my 32Gb, which I don't have to give a sweet fuck about. It probably keeps a CPU thread busy as well, that's fine: there's 15 more.

Stuff like this is why when building a PC that is mean to last, you want to try and build a little ahead of the curve instead of shitting on people who might want to be able to run a game without closing everything else down first.
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Your argument might be more persuasive if you weren't the one chimping out about the resources that the Steam Launcher uses in the Steam Sales thread.

It eats about 1/2 of one of my 32Gb, which I don't have to give a sweet fuck about. It probably keeps a CPU thread busy as well, that's fine: there's 15 more.

Stuff like this is why when building a PC that is mean to last, you want to try and build a little ahead of the curve instead of shitting on people who might want to be able to run a game without closing everything else down first.
    Yet it still doesn't matter. Even when it used it. For gaming it didn't come close to hurting the pc performance and I am pretty sure I play way more high end shit than you Linux boy. Also it doesn't use nearly as much now as when I first checked. Maybe your Linux setup is just shit and uses way too much ram? Boy would that be a fucking hilarious twist.

You have some spectacular obsession with 32gb over other aspects when if the main goal is gaming. You're overselling this something fierce.

Point is if your budget is x now just buy 16 and get the rest up to par, get a bit more in a couple months or sth.

Oh btw the steam launcher running like shit is how it displays the tiles and loads them and scrolls through, not the actual resources used which seems to vary wildly from report to report.
    Last edited by Isyel; November 1 2019 at 04:34:04 PM.

Good grief Isyel you can be obnoxious sometimes. It doesn't matter but it actually matters. Jesus Christ.

Also.

Windows is also a LOT shittier in terms of RAM management than Linux or OS X (I know, I use all three). "Buy RAM later" is not something you want to do for reasons already listed and I would argue that more RAM >>> faster RAM at the same time.

Thing is I haven't upgraded in years. I completed my build and opened it up only to add another HDD. That is it. My use cases may be fringe (video, photo editing, 3D design 'n' stuff, gaming, all on the same system), I agree. 16GB is ok, I have that on both my laptops, but they can't handle the same amount of multitasking - I can easily reach a couple hundred tabs opened when doing research and ffs even Keckers mentioned something similar

But if you build a desktop system now, 32GB is more reasonable. 64GB ideal if you want to keep it for a few good years.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Memory prices have stabilised quite a lot recently I thought?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Memory prices have stabilised quite a lot recently I thought?
    They have. If you feel compelled to get 32GB because they are at historic lows, that's a good reason. I am sticking with 16GB for now, but I might buy another 16GB soon.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I was considering grabbing another 16gb to get 32gb. But I built my system last year, I can't quite get the same timings. But I also don't do anything close to what you do Cosmin, so I have no real reason to do it.

I'm however considering adding a NAS to the network, now that I sorted the wifi coverage in the bedroom with an additional AP.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Yeah exactly this "just get another 16Gb" isn't quite the easytimes simple task it used to be in the days when DDR266 was the new coolness.
    I love Malcanis!