hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 129 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2979119126127128129130131 LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2613

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

  1. #2561
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,850
    Yes, if dev work can scale across core/thread count, the 5800X has value, up to the nominal 33% more. Try find benchmarks for how your workflow scales (compiling, rendering, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  2. #2562
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,402
    I'm seriously considering building 3600 rig on B550 and putting my old 2060 in it as there's no chance to get new stuff here. And upgrade cpu and gpu next year after price cuts and availability issues are resolved.

  3. #2563
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,927
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I'm seriously considering building 3600 rig on B550 and putting my old 2060 in it as there's no chance to get new stuff here. And upgrade cpu and gpu next year after price cuts and availability issues are resolved.
    A 3600 is still a pretty great CPU; that didn't change because Zen3 came out 2 weeks ago. Likewise, if you're not obsessed with MAX DEETS, the 2060 will let you have a bunch of fun with every game. The world doesn't end and the game isn't shit because you have 4xAA instead of 8xAA aniso or whatever. Go with the the 3600 and the 2060 and enjoy using your PC for 6 months, and check back after Easter when you can buy a 5800 (or maybe even a 5700) for a sensible price and a 3080 for less than $700 because everyone's tripping over their dick chasing the 3080Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  4. #2564
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I'm seriously considering building 3600 rig on B550 and putting my old 2060 in it as there's no chance to get new stuff here. And upgrade cpu and gpu next year after price cuts and availability issues are resolved.
    A 3600 is still a pretty great CPU; that didn't change because Zen3 came out 2 weeks ago. Likewise, if you're not obsessed with MAX DEETS, the 2060 will let you have a bunch of fun with every game. The world doesn't end and the game isn't shit because you have 4xAA instead of 8xAA aniso or whatever. Go with the the 3600 and the 2060 and enjoy using your PC for 6 months, and check back after Easter when you can buy a 5800 (or maybe even a 5700) for a sensible price and a 3080 for less than $700 because everyone's tripping over their dick chasing the 3080Ti
    Make that 6800xt and that's my thought process atm exactly.

  5. #2565
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,850
    Sounds fine tbh, and there are already some early deals appearing for 2x8GB 3600MT/s CL18 stock RAM kits ~50. Your GPU will likely be the bottleneck for 3+years at 1440p with that, and you can upgrade to 5800X down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  6. #2566
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Sounds fine tbh, and there are already some early deals appearing for 2x8GB 3600MT/s CL18 stock RAM kits ~50. Your GPU will likely be the bottleneck for 3+years at 1440p with that, and you can upgrade to 5800X down the line.
    Right now, I'm heavily bottlenecked by cpu, I5-4690K@4.4ghz. Without supersampling AA enabled in most titles I play it is maxed while GPU hovers at 60-70% and it still fails to deliver 60fps. Only way to switch the bottleneck is to crank up AA, but you still end up with same result fps wise but with other part sweating.
    Last edited by rufuske; November 20 2020 at 07:42:24 PM.

  7. #2567
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,850
    I'm confused, I said 'with that', as in yes get the 3600, then you shift the bottleneck back to GPU for years unless 1080p twitch shootering. (Unless you think the 4690kOC is comparable?)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  8. #2568
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,844
    so, im looking at getting a upgrade in about a weeks time, thinking some sort of 3070RTX box, maybe with a Ryzen 5, i know about the supply issues and have considered going with a Intel instead, idk, plenty of time to work out the particulars. i do have a question though.

    i have a ASUS MG279q monitor, it's a 2015'ish Freesync monitor and i really like it, however it's not listed as compatible with the RTX3070's, don't they just natively support freesync monitors now though ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  9. #2569
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    so, im looking at getting a upgrade in about a weeks time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  10. #2570
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    so, im looking at getting a upgrade in about a weeks time...
    if it takes longer, it takes longer, it's fine.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  11. #2571
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,850
    Give us a budget, maybe start a new thread for it.
    Yes, Freesync should be supported by any Geforce card with Gsync-compatible output, as it's the same thing that they just rebranded. I'd be stunned (well, dismayed as par for the course...) if Nvidia tried to cripple output to only HDMI or monitors with Gsync modules.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  12. #2572
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    3,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Yes, Freesync should be supported by any Geforce card with Gsync-compatible output, as it's the same thing that they just rebranded. I'd be stunned (well, dismayed as par for the course...) if Nvidia tried to cripple output to only HDMI or monitors with Gsync modules.
    While it's true all freesync monitors should work if you just enable it in the settings (you'll get a mild warning that they can't guarantee it'll work), it isn't quite as good as AMD's freesync support in my experience. I also have a slightly older Freesync monitor which caused instability since I upgraded to a 2070S and enabled freesync everywhere. I now have it enabled only in certain games and only in dedicated full-screen mode, and that seems to work well. Enabling it all the time and also for windowed applications is where the issues arise.

  13. #2573
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Give us a budget, maybe start a new thread for it.
    Yes, Freesync should be supported by any Geforce card with Gsync-compatible output, as it's the same thing that they just rebranded. I'd be stunned (well, dismayed as par for the course...) if Nvidia tried to cripple output to only HDMI or monitors with Gsync modules.
    im using a shop that builds-to-spec, usually with recommendations.
    been using them for nigh on 10 years, know the guys working there and regularly source consumer/prosumer grade kit from them so im just going to pick something more or less off the shelf, ask for a bigger SSD and a case without blinky lights and let it be that.

    bloke said Ryzen 5/7 5x00 + RTX3070, pointing at ASUS kit because they usually get the least returns on that. good enough for me, but the monitor thing, i don't know and all he could say "should work" so i figure, ask the hivemind.
    Last edited by Liare; November 21 2020 at 09:34:42 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  14. #2574
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,850
    Then for the best answer, contact Asus and Nvidia customer support. If either says firmware will fix an issue, you have it in writing then.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  15. #2575
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,927
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16265...n-4000u-renoir

    These are nifty little Zen2 APU boxes
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  16. #2576
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,719
    I ran across that APU when a colleague asked me for a recommendation for an office pc. Cyberport (large online retailer with several stores in Berlin) only had offerings by HP, Lenovo etc. that while decent weren't really to my liking - 9th Gen i5, 8gb und ram etc for decent prices, anything worthwhile was way too expensive.
    While certainly possible, they weren't really the best cking the box for 'still decent in five years.'*

    Then I checked caseking, which is gamer focused, der8auer employer/Partner, but they also have decent office offerings.

    They have a new business pc offering:
    AMD Ryzen Pro 4350G
    Noctua NH-L9a
    Gigabyte B550 itx board
    Inwin Chopin case

    https://www.caseking.de/king-mod-sys...-sipc-315.html

    I haven't done the math on the parts and labor, but the idea alone was intriguing.

    *To be relevant five years down the line for office stuff a 9/10th gen i5 is more than adequate and will be among the things I will suggest.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  17. #2577
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,927
    I fucking dream of having a whole 10th gen 4c/8t CPU to use for work

    I'd literally buy the CPU if they let me, but no apparently it's more important to increase shareholder value by making me spend 15-20 hours a month watching spreadsheets calculate achingly slowly. I know they don't pay me very much, but knowing my time and work is worth that little is rather depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  18. #2578
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I fucking dream of having a whole 10th gen 4c/8t CPU to use for work

    I'd literally buy the CPU if they let me, but no apparently it's more important to increase shareholder value by making me spend 15-20 hours a month watching spreadsheets calculate achingly slowly. I know they don't pay me very much, but knowing my time and work is worth that little is rather depressing.
    At least you get a machine paid for by your employer. Here there is the idea that might happen, but so far they are happy that you can claim a tax deduction (as any employee can for job expenses). The state and federal governments recently stated that every teacher and student should get a device soon, but by doing both groups at once, Berlin alone (which is notoriously broke) would have to buy half a million devices.

    So yeah, people buy office computers with their own money. And when you do that, you might as well be close to the state of the art.
    nevar forget

  19. #2579
    Daneel Trevize's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    T L A
    Posts
    12,850
    Some of that AMD FineWine™ is being uncorked soon, especially for the 5800X.

    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16267...00-coming-soon
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...d-tremendously
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; November 24 2020 at 12:05:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

  20. #2580
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,927
    the linux driver set for RDNA2 is improving pretty nicely also, apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •