hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34350515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1245

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatible
    Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync™)

I see nvidias marketing is on the ball. This screen came up on a few news sites but on those sites they only mentioned Nvidia G-SYNC Compatible and didn't even mention Freesync despite the fact that it is a Freesync screen.

A year from now nvidia will have co-opted all the new Freesync monitors into G-sync (compatible) and give people another reason to prefer nvidia over their competitors as they only support freesync. Clever, very clever.
    Yeah, they certainly know what they're doing. Like, it's good that nvidia now lets you use freesync for their shit too, but coopting it like this is as you say marketing bollocks that works.

Progress so far.

PSU cable layout/combing is provisional. Cabling will also be black (white cables came as an unexpected addition to another part; actual cable kit hasn’t arrived yet).

Not really much more to do until the GPU block gets here on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; June 17 2019 at 03:30:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Progress so far.

PSU cable layout/combing is provisional. Cabling will also be black (white cables came as an unexpected addition to another part; actual cable kit hasn’t arrived yet).

That'll be a great rig. You probably paid less for that 2700x than that did for my 2700...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Just wanted to put up up a PSA: Now is the perfect time to upgrade your RAM. Do so now before things change.

RAM prices have been steadily falling for several reasons, including the Trump-China trade spat, softening smartphone demand, and the Huawei blacklist.

Price history for a stick of Corsair 8GB DD4-2400 RAM:

Price history for G.Skill 16GB kit (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 RGB RAM:

It's reasonable to expect RAM prices to keep falling, but after reading this Reuters article, that might change soon.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Yeah, I’ve noticed the price drop for RAM just since I’ve been putting together my build. I sprung for a 2x16 3200mhz kit.

That second chart doesn’t even show the last few months; I think a G.Skill 2x8 3200 kit is about 100 bucks right now. My 32gb kit was only $190. That’s ~$50 cheaper than a 16gb kit was a year ago, by that chart. Though I think you can only get the 16gb 3200mhz sticks in CL16, not CL14. Or at least I couldn’t find any.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; June 17 2019 at 02:16:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Progress so far.

Spoiler:

That'll be a great rig. You probably paid less for that 2700x than that did for my 2700...
    So do I earn those 10 geek points back?

Can I get your guys’ thoughts on fan orientation? For a closed case I’d probably have no trouble (intake on front and bottom, exhaust on top and back), but with this open case I’m thinking of running both fan blocks in exhaust mode, so the CPU exhausts out the bottom (case will be wall mounted when done), GPU rad exhausts out the top, and cool air comes in from the open sides.

Alternate configs would be to run both blocks as intake, taking air in from the top and bottom, but then you’re blowing hot air at components/the other fan block. But it seems like airflow might be better since it’d flow directly into the fans rather than having to flow around tightly packed components before entering the fan.

Or I could just do a single-direction flow from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Any suggestions other than “benchmark all three configs and go with the coolest running one”?

Warm air rises, so it is more logical to have intake low and exit high.

Yeah, I’ve noticed the price drop for RAM just since I’ve been putting together my build. I sprung for a 2x16 3200mhz kit.

That second chart doesn’t even show the last few months; I think a G.Skill 2x8 3200 kit is about 100 bucks right now. My 32gb kit was only $190. That’s ~$50 cheaper than a 16gb kit was a year ago, by that chart. Though I think you can only get the 16gb 3200mhz sticks in CL16, not CL14. Or at least I couldn’t find any.
    I run 3200 CL14 RAM, it's expensive, though.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

That would be my pick in a closed case however I'm not familiar with your setup. Exactly how open is it? Am I correct to assume glass sides with 1 cm unfiltered openings along the height of it?

Either way don't concern yourself with convection. Fans trump that hundredfold.

Ye, many 2x8gb 3200 cl16 kits for like 100 usd, it's nice it's not a massive ripoff anymore. Recently upgraded with a teamgroup set for like 90 usd and they work like a charm, ryzen is much happier with them lol.

That would be my pick in a closed case however I'm not familiar with your setup. Exactly how open is it? Am I correct to assume glass sides with 1 cm unfiltered openings along the height of it?

It’s completely open on all four sides. Second pic shows it most clearly, but a glass front panel is the only chassis part that isn’t attached.

I’ve changed the orientation since I plan to wall-mount the machine and think downward-facing cables are the best solution for that. But you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Warm air rises, so it is more logical to have intake low and exit high.
    As already mentioned convection means squat in the face of fans pushing the air, but the main reason you dont want to blow in from the bottom is dust.

Progress so far.

Spoiler:

So do I earn those 10 geek points back?
    You're still on -9

EDIT: Dang, RAM prices have come down a lot, the RAM I bought is less than half the cost. As I'm not overclocking it (I'm too idle and I haven't felt the need), I'm tempted to pick up another 2x8Gb.
    Last edited by Malcanis; June 17 2019 at 07:03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

It’s completely open on all four sides. Second pic shows it most clearly, but a glass front panel is the only chassis part that isn’t attached.

I’ve changed the orientation since I plan to wall-mount the machine and think downward-facing cables are the best solution for that. But you get the idea.
    You'll want to get all your air more or less oriented in a single direction. It's not going to matter that much at consumer level, but it's the "correct" way to build thermal flow.
    meh

EDIT: Dang, RAM prices have come down a lot, the RAM I bought is less than half the cost. As I'm not overclocking it (I'm too idle and I haven't felt the need), I'm tempted to pick up another 2x8Gb.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...tMF_OY7X4cwIVg

32GB DDR3-1866: $155

I want to. I really, really want to. And the color matches the motherboard. But Win7 Home doesn't handle more than 16GB RAM.
    Last edited by Nordstern; June 30 2019 at 03:07:10 AM.

DDR3?

So my build has been done for a bit more than a week. Was hoping to have it mounted this weekend so I could take some pics and share... but I made the terrible mistake of installing Asus’ AI Suite system monitor and it appears to have bricked my machine.

Thankfully amazon has a forgiving return policy and I have a new mobo and SSD on the way.

Near as I can tell it borked something in bios; after install it asked to reboot, then hanged when it did. Only way to get it to boot at all was to unplug it, and then the bios prompt was gone. It briefly booted to the windows login screen before BSOD’ing, but now won’t even do that, so I can’t access safe mode, etc.

Apparently this is a known issue, resulting in a fragged BIOS and corrupted install of windows.

Very glad it happened within the 30-day return window. Not really looking forward to a complete teardown to swap out the mobo. Maybe I can use it as an opportunity to be even more OCD about the cable runs.

Fuck, I wasn’t even overclocking anything yet.

I tried installing Asus AI suite as well and while it didn't shred my bios it just messed eveything up, locking up the system, instability etc. Had a similar experience with Corsairs Vue software, just a mess, so I used their older Link software to flash the pump with a new profile and then uninstalled it.

In fact the only hardware vendors software that makes it onto my machine these days is MSI afterburner and AMD's stuff.

Since Speedfan isn't updated anymore I've been using Argus monitor to control my fans/pumpspeeds. It's much easier to setup than Speedfan but it's also not free. Good piece of kit though.

Glad I’m not the only one who has had trouble with this software, though google does show a few folks who also got bricked.

What a pain in the ass. Probably something to do with the fact that AI Suite can tweak the BIOS; whatever interface it uses must have fucked something up. I’ve never had a machine break to the point where you couldn’t even get into BIOS.

Funny thing is that the mobo’s POST test lights don’t even show it having a problem. But as far as I can tell it’s totally dead, or at least dead enough that it’s not outputting a video signal on any of the ports.