hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSD query

SSD query

Considering getting a 480-512Gb SSD

Any makes that I should prefer or avoid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

What kind of SSD, M2 or SATA? In any case, the EVO line by Samsung is usually a solid bet. They derp up the firmware every now and then and I remember some of their older models requiring updates etc, but thats nothing a quick google cant find.
    Crucial is also solid although I only have experience with their older SATA line of SSDs.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

I have an old board, so whatever M2 is, I probably can't use it

what is M2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Donor
    M2 is a new standard where the SSD is on a small circuit board that snaps into a socket on the motherboard. It uses a direct PCIe connection, so performance is better than SATA.

As for brands, Samsung if you're feeling spendy or Crucial if not. I run Crucial drives in most of my systems.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    M2 is a new standard where the SSD is on a small circuit board that snaps into a socket on the motherboard. It uses a direct PCIe connection, so performance is better than SATA.

As for brands, Samsung if you're feeling spendy or Crucial if not. I run Crucial drives in most of my systems.
    Oh, nifty. I thought that M2 was just for netbooks/laptops.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

M2 is confusing as fuck because it just defines the connector, or the interface, or something half-assed.

Samsung and Crucial have been my top choices. Intel is great too.

I know it's probably overkill but I'm running RAID0 SSDs in my gayming PC and couldn't be happier :P I think they're some of the older Crucial M4? ones.

I'm using two 500 gb Samsung Evo's. One 750 and one 850. Interestingly I bought the newer version first for less money than the older one a year later. Well, not that interesting but W/E.

Performance is amazing compared to a mech drive and I don't really fill up my HDD's anymore to warrant a 2 TB drive so SSD's are perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Oh, nifty. I thought that M2 was just for netbooks/laptops.
    There are two types of M2 drives.

M2 SATA which is just SATA via M2 - exactly the same performance as a standard SATA6 SSD.

M2 NVMe which is PCIe via M2 - around 4 times faster than SATA as far as I can tell, not something I've really kept up with in terms of performance because until today I didn't have an M2 board so I didn't care.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Donor
    The SATA interface M2 drives are pretty much pointless, tbh. They're more expensive than standard 2.5" SATA drives and don't perform any better.

I'm kinda meh on the NVMe ones too. They are indisputably faster than SATA drives, but the actual real-world gains are too small to justify the high prices.

I take it the reason for the NVME interface is cost and small form factor over a regular PCI express card? It does seem limiting though as I'm used to storage devices being rather flexible.

I should check out some benchmarks.

M.2 is the tits for M-ATX/ITX builds. I doubt you'll ever notice the difference compared to a Sata 3 connection

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    I take it the reason for the NVME interface is cost and small form factor over a regular PCI express card? It does seem limiting though as I'm used to storage devices being rather flexible.
    NVMe is a protocol, rather than an interface. It's a replacement for AHCI that reduces command overhead (and thus I/O latency) quite a bit. M2 is a socket that brings out a maximum of 4 PCIe lanes and the SATA bus to a little connector that looks similar to a mini-PCIe slot (the kind used for laptop WiFi cards). NVMe SSDs need a PCIe connection to operate, and M2 is a convenient way of mounting one on a motherboard without using an expansion card slot.

The M2 'standard' is a horrible mess. M2 SSDs can use PCIe or SATA to communicate, the SATA ones are always AHCI but the PCIe ones can be AHCI or NVMe. M2 sockets can have 1,2 or 4 PCIe lanes. Or none at all. It may have SATA support, or not. Some M2 sockets won't take an SSD at all as they carry USB only. Some motherboards will only boot from an M2 SSD if it is AHCI, not NVMe. To top it off, on some platforms (Intel X299 boards, for example) due to PCIe lane starvation the M2 slots may or may not work, depending on what CPU is fitted and how many PCIe expansion cards are installed.

Oh god I forgot about X299. That shit's a mess.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I got the Samsung Evo 960 1tb in a "Aqua Computer kryo M.2 PCIe 3.0 adapter".
    As the M.2's tends to get a wee bit hot on the motherboard and throttles down on speed.

3200MB/S Read and 1900 MB/S Write speed is quite ludicrous. Feels like my Motherboard or CPU is the new bottleneck.

Damb son, that is quite an increase over my 850 and 750 SATA drives. They'll both do 540MB/S Read and 520 MB/S write. Doubt I'll be able to tell the difference in day to day usage though.

FYI,

If you don't have an M.2 socket on your mobo and go for the PCI 3.0 card option instead.
    You will not likely be able to boot from this drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    M.2 is the tits for M-ATX/ITX builds. I doubt you'll ever notice the difference compared to a Sata 3 connection
    Depends on the drive I guess.. I never noticed the difference between my old sata2 ssd and the newer sata3 ones (yes its in a sata3 socket). Drive speed testing shows the difference but I guess even my old drive was feeding the system fast enough..

It all flies compared to my shitty work laptop with its spinning disk.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    NVMe is a protocol, rather than an interface. It's a replacement for AHCI that reduces command overhead (and thus I/O latency) quite a bit. M2 is a socket that brings out a maximum of 4 PCIe lanes and the SATA bus to a little connector that looks similar to a mini-PCIe slot (the kind used for laptop WiFi cards). NVMe SSDs need a PCIe connection to operate, and M2 is a convenient way of mounting one on a motherboard without using an expansion card slot.

The M2 'standard' is a horrible mess. M2 SSDs can use PCIe or SATA to communicate, the SATA ones are always AHCI but the PCIe ones can be AHCI or NVMe. M2 sockets can have 1,2 or 4 PCIe lanes. Or none at all. It may have SATA support, or not. Some M2 sockets won't take an SSD at all as they carry USB only. Some motherboards will only boot from an M2 SSD if it is AHCI, not NVMe. To top it off, on some platforms (Intel X299 boards, for example) due to PCIe lane starvation the M2 slots may or may not work, depending on what CPU is fitted and how many PCIe expansion cards are installed.
    Man that bengal carrier, what a beaty! :O.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

As a main SSD (OS) I'd only buy Intel. Have had my 480GB Intel 730 for 30 months now and it's still going strong.

As a secondary SSD (i.e. games and other shit), I'd get a Samsung Evo, they're p. reliable and quick, but nowhere near Intel's record.

Obvs whatever you buy you should keep daily incremental backups because when they go, they go completely and there's no recovering anything from them.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Recently picked up a cheap ADATA SSD for evaluation purposes. Is there a tool that should be used to format the drive prior to OS installation? Also, what is TRIM and how is it implemented in Linux and Win7/10?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...