hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Getting EVEmon to work

Getting EVEmon to work

So I spent the past hour or so working out how to get EVEmon to work with my current character, current skills and all. So I figured I'd share.

First you'll need the most up-to-date version of EVEmon. Get that here if you don't already have it. Yes, I know that it doesn't have learning skills. Stay with me here.

Second you'll need to get an XML editor of some kind. Google XML editor. I have a paid for lisense of Oxygen, so I haven't a clue where to find a free one. You'll just be editing a few things so it doesn't have to be very good.

Now that you've got what you need, let's get started.
    Open up EVEMon, click tools -> Blank Character Creator. A screen with all the race, blodline, ancestry, and gender options should pop up. It's not overly important to get this right, but I suggest logging into cEVE and getting the info, as you'll need cEVE open anyway. You can name the character anything, I called mine Main, since it's going to be my main char. Click save, put it somewhere you can find, then click add. For the purposes of this guide, the saved XML will be called Main.XML.

Now click Plans -> New, and make a plan that have ALL of your current skills. Not skills you want, but your current skills. Using cEVE to make sure you've got it right is a good idea(here's where it's good to have two monitors). After you've got it all in, click Export -> After Plan Character.

Save that somewhere you can get to. For the purposes of this guide, the saved XML will be called Mainmodified.XML. Now close the plan window, click File -> Manage Accounts, go to the Characters tab and delete the character you just created. Do not delete the XMLs, just EVEmon's holding of the character.

Open your XML creator, then open up both Main.XML and Mainmodified.XML.
    First go to to Mainmodified.XML, find all the strings
    Code:
    isKnown="false"
    and replace them with
    Code:
    isKnown="true"
    . For whatever reason EVEmon's created XML can't be read by EVEmon because of this and a few other random lines. Copy everything from
    Code:
    <skills>
    to
    Code:
    </skills>
    . Now go over to Main.XML, delete everything from
    Code:
    <skills>
    to
    Code:
    </skills>
    and then paste the new version of skills where they used to be. Finally, open up cEVE and fix the attributes listed in Main.XML to match up with your attributes in cEVE. If you'd like to get it exactly right you can fix it to include your implants, but I personally didn't see a point.

The last step is to delete Mainmodified.XML, then go to EVEmon click File -> Manage Accounts, go to the Character tab, and import your Main.XML. This file should be an XML copy your cEVE character with all the needed info to help create skillplans.

The one remaining issue is that skill training will be slightly longer than it really is due to not being able to integrate the actual learning skill into the character. I will begin working on a way to make this work with an earlier version of EVEmon to fix that, and allow for learning plans, however don't hold your breath I keep getting an odd error titled "It's dead Jim, take it's stuff." which is an obvious reference to Munchkin, but fuck if I know what it means.

Re: Getting EVEmon to work

You can drag/drop the XML files into notepad to edit them. No XML editor required.

Also, you can just adjust the attributes of the character to whatever you've trained them up to after your learning skills - gives you the right training times .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid
    You can drag/drop the XML files into notepad to edit them. No XML editor required.
    *shrug* I have an XML editor, so I never remember that.
    Also, you can just adjust the attributes of the character to whatever you've trained them up to after your learning skills - gives you the right training times .
    If you read the guide, I tell you to get it AFTER you've trained learning skills, it however, does not take into account the learning skill, as in the actual skill called learning.

+2% per level, can you not just use decimal places?

+2% per level, can you not just use decimal places?
    Doesn't work, returns an error. I know that's what EVEHQ did when learnings were around, but it seems EVEmon actually calculates the %. Plus getting the old EVEmon to work with this would allow us to include training for alts and specific learning needed.

Use Notepad Prus Prus (Notepad++).

Free and open source text editing, with XML formatting and shit. I use it for work, best text editor.