hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it alright to drive while stoned?

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F18 View Post
    it is alright driving whilst stoned.

why does helgur have a red name ?
    Because I am the voice of the working class

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

Better purple than crimson

Tribune of the Plebs has a nice ring to it

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post

Tribune of the Plebs has a nice ring to it
    Helgurius Graccus, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Anyone who does this, like drink drivers, deserves prison.

I would immediately drop a friend who did this.
    I'd +rep you, but I've already done it too recently.

No, it is not alright to drive while stoned. You're operating a multi-ton vehicle at speeds high enough to generate massive amounts of kinetic energy. The right way - the only way - to drive is stone cold sober, two hands on the wheel, doing nothing but paying attention to where your speeding hunk of metal is going and what the other hunks of metal around you are doing. If you don't want to do that, take a damn cab.
    Back in reality land ill be driving with one hand on the wheel mostly and with, while not a lack of concentration, ill only be applying as much as is needed to drive safely. Driving isnt that hard. this chat is getting to read a lot like "virgins discuss sex" but about driving.
    There are over 17K reported traffic accidents each day in the US, leading to just shy of 100 deaths. If the accident rate were the death rate, I might agree with you. But when there's a 5-digit number of accidents each and every day, one can only conclude that driving a car is clearly incredibly hard for a whole lot of people.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

No, it is not alright to drive while stoned. You're operating a multi-ton vehicle at speeds high enough to generate massive amounts of kinetic energy. The right way - the only way - to drive is stone cold sober, two hands on the wheel, doing nothing but paying attention to where your speeding hunk of metal is going and what the other hunks of metal around you are doing. If you don't want to do that, take a damn cab.
    Back in reality land ill be driving with one hand on the wheel mostly and with, while not a lack of concentration, ill only be applying as much as is needed to drive safely. Driving isnt that hard. this chat is getting to read a lot like "virgins discuss sex" but about driving.
    There are over 17K reported traffic accidents each day in the US, leading to just shy of 100 deaths. If the accident rate were the death rate, I might agree with you. But when there's a 5-digit number of accidents each and every day, one can only conclude that driving a car is clearly incredibly hard for a whole lot of people.
    17k folk should have had a j and chilled they got behind the wheel then. driving is not difficult. stressing out getting nowhere fast causes rta's. fucking know this. man
    Last edited by F18; July 15 2017 at 11:38:30 PM.
    RIP Xenosisreaper 04.11.2015

shabba

phoneposting

Have some handy math. Americans drive 8.8 billion miles daily, or one fatality for every 88 million miles. At 17k accidents daily that's still a rate of only one accident per 500,000 miles driven, or about the distance an average person covers in 15-20 years. Given the whole multi-vehicle accident thing, I think statistics show an average driver being in an accident once every 7-10 years.

Don't get me wrong, traffic accidents are still a significant source of mortality. But the individual risk is quite negligible; our roads are very safe. It follows that since all these statistics are the product of human action (i.e. people driving), driving can't be that difficult.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; July 16 2017 at 12:23:07 AM.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    There need to be other vehicles to do unexpected things for your argument to work.
    ye ur own vehicle cant' do anything unexpected and neither can animals
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Have some handy math. Americans drive 8.8 billion miles daily, or one fatality for every 88 million miles. At 17k accidents daily that's still a rate of only one accident per 500,000 miles driven, or about the distance an average person covers in 15-20 years. Given the whole multi-vehicle accident thing, I think statistics show an average driver being in an accident once every 7-10 years.

Don't get me wrong, traffic accidents are still a significant source of mortality. But the individual risk is quite negligible; our roads are very safe. It follows that since all these statistics are the product of human action (i.e. people driving), driving can't be that difficult.
    Also we aren't forced to drive shitty SMART cars by the fascist unelected Euro council or whatever so our suburbans can take an impact, y'know.
    meh

North americans drive like retards in general, can only race cars if they only turn in one direction too

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Basically yeah, because any threats that you aren't aware of are by definition threats you aren't aware of. Thus you should always be alert, because you can never know everything you don't know.

At least while you're driving a hunk of metal at ludicrous speeds.
    Sounds like terrifying way to live your life. "this house i own COULD HAVE A MURDERER HIDING UNDER THE BED!" every day because you never know.

Mong scenes

Basically yeah, because any threats that you aren't aware of are by definition threats you aren't aware of. Thus you should always be alert, because you can never know everything you don't know.

At least while you're driving a hunk of metal at ludicrous speeds.
    Sounds like terrifying way to live your life. "this house i own COULD HAVE A MURDERER HIDING UNDER THE BED!" every day because you never know.

Mong scenes
    Amazing delinquent driver scenes.

And all of this changes nothing when it comes to driving under the influence of drugs.

You're still a fucking retard if you do it.

Source for those statistics. Not because I disbelieve, but because I want to mine them for a more useful metric than just the mean.

The "average" driver does not exist. What you want is the median and standard deviation.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Stoners sriving very safely on a road they know with nothing unexpected happening.

Til: smuggo is south african

Posted von mein Tapashitcunt

Source for those statistics. Not because I disbelieve, but because I want to mine them for a more useful metric than just the mean.

The "average" driver does not exist. What you want is the median and standard deviation.
    Well you can calculate based on the average distance from work. I'm an anomaly because I'm closer than the average (15 miles/24km). But assuming everyone is like me, which why wouldn't they be? That's 20 million miles per day just driving taking in to account the full time employed population only. This omits all driving that is attached to a profession like landscapers, cab drivers, truck drivers, utilities, plumbers etc etc.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post

ye ur own vehicle cant' do anything unexpected and neither can animals
    Ye ye ye.

Total national mileage = https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pressroom/fhwa1704.cfm

Total national miles / 365 = total daily national miles.

TDNM / daily fatalities = miles per fatality.

TDNM / daily accidents = miles per accident.

Average individual annual mileage: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Miles per fatality / AIAM = period per fatality.

Miles per accident / AIAM = period per accident.

Looks like I actually overstated the case, as I assumed 25k miles per year average, when it's closer to 15. Per this article, at least, an average driver is in an accident once every 17 years.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/

Yes, median and SD are also important for the whole picture. But VC made it sound like accidents are a huge menace, when really they aren't. They're rare on an individual level, and very rarely fatal. Napkin maths are sufficient for this context.