hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Laptop battery upgrade advice

Laptop battery upgrade advice

Mates the battery in my old Thinkpad W510 is naff, I'm only getting about an hour out of it on a good day.

I'm tempted to buy a replacement but this laptop has an old power hungry i7 + nvidia quaddro chipset so I'm debating if I should even bother with a new battery in case I just get more of the same in terms of battery life.

Have any of you had a similar experience with replacing the battery on an old hungry laptop and it actually making a discernible difference?
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; July 13 2017 at 06:01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    How old is your drinkpad?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    How old is your drinkpad?
    lad it's about 6-7 years old now. Still runs everything really fast, my only beef is the battery life (and maybe the screen)

EDIT: Oh god there's a nearly new slice battery going on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-57Y4...cAAOSwurZZLyRI
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; July 13 2017 at 07:54:36 PM.

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Go for it. My laptop is as old as yours and I would spend more than that in order to breathe life in it for another 5 years.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    I didn't feel like spending $40 for a new main battery on my Thinkpad T60, so I bought a new secondary battery (goes in the optical drive slot) for $20. Only get 1.5 hours out of it, due to less-than-optimal settings, but it's fine.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I didn't feel like spending $40 for a new main battery on my Thinkpad T60, so I bought a new secondary battery (goes in the optical drive slot) for $20. Only get 1.5 hours out of it, due to less-than-optimal settings, but it's fine.
    I've looked into them before but unfortunately my model doesn't support them, I do have a HDD in the superbay that I might swap for another SSD someday though. Also in good-ish news it turns out I have a 55++ model battery in my laptop, the direct replacement for which now is a 70++ battery and most people say you'll get much better performance out of this newer model. They do cost a fair bit though, I asked if our reseller in work stocks them and if so what kind of prices do they have them listed at. I'll get one of these new 9 cell batteries and if I'm still not happy then I'll grab a slice

phoneposting

I went for the cheaper option for my T61. I would not recomend that at all. Only get about 1,5 hours out of it.

I've got a used X200S ariving in the mail any day now. Not sure where to turn to get a good battery replacement for thatone either. I don't want to repeat the mistake on a machine that is supposed to last 10 hours per charge.

I'd love an X220 or something similar but I've no real expendable income right now. The W510 is a massive lump to lug around with me, at least with a good battery it'll be a big lump that lasts a decent amount of time though.

every few months I look to see if the prices have dropped enough on the i7 920XM cpu but it's still over 100 bucks so no cpu upgrade, same goes for the 1080p screens.

If I leave it any longer however there may be no good stocks left of those parts and I'll never be able to upgrade them ;_;
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; July 15 2017 at 12:53:57 AM.

phoneposting

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Go for it. My laptop is as old as yours and I would spend more than that in order to breathe life in it for another 5 years.
    As is a bunch of things. Speak to your doctor.

I just remembered how much I paid for a fuck-huge Dell Precision battery. I think 200 Canadian Pesos is way too much for a 6-7 year old laptop, but if you're happy with it otherwise just shop around.

I wouldn't trust anything on Ebay or Amazon being anything but a cheaply made fake myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    I just remembered how much I paid for a fuck-huge Dell Precision battery. I think 200 Canadian Pesos is way too much for a 6-7 year old laptop, but if you're happy with it otherwise just shop around.

I wouldn't trust anything on Ebay or Amazon being anything but a cheaply made fake myself.
    Most stuff there is Chinese, yes, but I kept scrolling and eventually found a user selling a huge pile of original Lenovo batteries, complete with original packaging and user guide. Was quite happy I found them.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

You know most laptop batteries are 18650 cells with some over and under volt protection circuits attached right? You can replace them yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I vaguely seem to remember that there are shops out there, specialized in refurbishing batteries and which actually work well (enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    You know most laptop batteries are 18650 cells with some over and under volt protection circuits attached right? You can replace them yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron.
    Yep, almost all lithium batteries are 18650 cells. I keep an eye out for sales on batteries for cordless drills and the like at home depot since you can get 6-8 cells for half of what they'd cost at a vape shop.

Another good ones is you can get 6 AAAA batteries out of a 9v battery for quite a bit less than what a 4 pack of the quad A's costs

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Anyone got a recommendation on a ebayer that sells Thinkpad batteries? My X220i has 4 minutes of batteries...
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Anyone got a recommendation on a ebayer that sells Thinkpad batteries? My X220i has 4 minutes of batteries...
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/techdirectclub

That's who I used.

Well Aea helped shine some light on how much I should be investing in this laptop. It's only selling for around 350-400 on ebay so there's no real point in me spending 200 on a battery. I found some decent looking cheap batteries on amazon so I'll order one of them and see how it goes, might also try the cheap slice batteries they sell on aliexpress too but I'm not too fussed about getting involved with customs etc if I order from there

phoneposting