hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2529299100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2071

Thread: Photography Tech Thread

Over Christmas I have ascended to the Full Frame Master Race! Rejoice!

O la la, and welcome!

Ew, a mirrorless.

Spoiler:
    JK, enjoy it! Also get an f/1.4 prime asap.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

During the Christmas break I went through my dads collection of cameras that he's currently sorting through for selling off some of them. Among the :goodstuff: is a Hasselblad with lenses for like $40k (all it needs its a digital back and it's golden, but that'll be expensive) and a classic Leica M3 with 35mm/90mm/135mm lenses. The Leica is actually damn fine, quite the beauty to handle with the 35mm especially. When I move back home to Sweden I'll start using it more regularly for sure.

He has a bunch of other really impressive stuff but those two are the standouts.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    During the Christmas break I went through my dads collection of cameras that he's currently sorting through for selling off some of them. Among the :goodstuff: is a Hasselblad with lenses for like $40k (all it needs its a digital back and it's golden, but that'll be expensive) and a classic Leica M3 with 35mm/90mm/135mm lenses. The Leica is actually damn fine, quite the beauty to handle with the 35mm especially. When I move back home to Sweden I'll start using it more regularly for sure.

He has a bunch of other really impressive stuff but those two are the standouts.
    a) holy moly
    b) something like this? https://www.hasselblad.com/cfv-ii-50c-907x/ ?

Will likely get this next:

Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4
    https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en...ew.php?seq=418

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Will likely get this next:

Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4
    https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en...ew.php?seq=418
    You should. This lens has been my portrait workhorse since I've had the D90 almost a decade ago. It has transitioned very well to my D800. It's got fantastic optics and it's sharp as a needle. The only "issue" is that it's manual focus only and you will cockup a lot of shots, especially when wide open. But in time it will fluorish along with your photography skills. For the price it's unbeatable, probably the only upgrade to this is the Zeiss Otun tbh.

Edit: welp, it's a new AF one, very interesting stuff. I would go for it, if it's half as sharp as the MF one it's great. It's still a steal price-wise at 500 bux (I paid 200ish for my MF one).
    Last edited by Cosmin; January 5 2020 at 11:31:35 AM.

The Sony's own FE 85/1.8 is excellent as well. Probably the best bang for buck in the whole line-up.

I am going back and forth between those two. At least they cost exactly the same, which will not be too painful for my wallet either way.

[QUOTE=GeromeDoutrande;1876655]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post

a) holy moly
    b) something like this? https://www.hasselblad.com/cfv-ii-50c-907x/ ?[/

Yeah, something like that . Bit of a learning curve with it though hehe. Apart from actually making the investment, they sure don’t come for free.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shuko View Post
    The Sony's own FE 85/1.8 is excellent as well. Probably the best bang for buck in the whole line-up.
    I would go for the f/1.4 over the f/1.8. You can never have too much light.

Thought I might post my complete lens shopping list in case you have any comments:

Wide zoom
    Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 DI III RXD

35mm prime
    Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE

50mm prime
    Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE

Standard zoom
    Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 DI III RXD

Portrait prime
    Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE

Long zoom
    Sony SEL70300G 70 - 300 mm F4.5-5.6 FE
    Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 DI III VXD (planned release date Spring 2020)

Edit: I have been updating this to keep it up-to-date, so some of the responses to this post reference lenses that are no longer on my shopping list or have been added after they suggested them.
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; January 24 2020 at 10:54:31 AM.

Looks solid, why no 70-200 f/2.8?

I would go with f/1.4 where available. Are you really going to use that wide? I found myself using my phone for wide shots (XS Max) and usually just keeping the 70-200 f/2.8 on my dSLR. At times I like to carry my X100T as well as it yields some really atmospheric shots, but I've never really felt the need for a wide lens (my 24-70 f/2.8 is sitting gathering dust). Ultrawide - yeah, at times I wish I had one, but think 12-14-24 rather than 17 ->. You have a full frame btw, 17-28 is a focal range usually reserved to crop sensors.

Thank you for taking a look!

I have a manual Rokinon 12mm for Sony APS-C at the moment and I do use it. Certainly, wide for FF is certainly one of the lenses that I have not yet spent a lot of time looking around for and it will probably be the last lens of the shopping list that I will get. Hopefully there will be more options and/or my willingness to burn money on lenses will have increased by then.

I took a look at the Sony 12-24 as a proper ultra wide as well as the Sony 16-35 and the main reason for not listing either is the price. I am also thinking about a prime such as the Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 FE instead (there is also a Sigma Art one, but again more expensive).

I'm faced with a conundrum. I haven't really used my camera (A7 II) to take pictures all year. It certainly didn't go on any trips with me this past year.

The only time it got used was as a video camera at school in a rig. And even then it played second fiddle to the phone and a gimbal.

While traveling I've used my phone and was more than happy with it (P30 Pro).

I've been recently contemplating selling the camera and getting a cheaper camcorder to use at school.

The only type of photography I'm really into is portrait photography but I simply don't find the time and people to do it with.

What would y'all do?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

How much money would you gain from selling (minus the camcorder money)?

It looks like the A7 II and the 28-70 could go for €600-€700 on a German forum. All other lenses are M42, of those the Zeiss Pancolar could fetch €100, the 1950s Meyer-Görlitz 180 4.5 should fetch more than the €30 I paid for it. I mean 15 aperture blades for a perfectly circular aperture is just pure awesome sauce. And the Metz flash should also fetch €100.

So about €900?

I would probably get a Sony AX33, which is by itself €555 plus some additional batteries.
    nevar forget

So net €325 or so - for that sort of gain I would keep the camera just for the off chance that I might at some point want to use it again, and even if it turns out I never did in the end I would not be grumpy about the price for keeping that option open (n.b. that I am discounting any advantages of the AX33 for video in my argument since I have no clue what they would be apart from 4k which you most likely don't need).

So net €325 or so - for that sort of gain I would keep the camera just for the off chance that I might at some point want to use it again, and even if it turns out I never did in the end I would not be grumpy about the price for keeping that option open (n.b. that I am discounting any advantages of the AX33 for video in my argument since I have no clue what they would be apart from 4k which you most likely don't need).
    Yeah, my thinking so far as well. And 4K does have its uses even if you output to 1080p or even 720p: you can crop the video without loss of resolution. And while our current school PCs don't handle 4K too well (read: not at all) I am looking into buying a handful of new machines with the next budget.
    nevar forget

I took a look at the Sony 12-24 as a proper ultra wide as well as the Sony 16-35
    The 12-24 is a fine lens (though I sold mine since didn't really use/need that wide). The f4 version of 16-35 isn't that great. No experience with the 2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I would go with f/1.4 where available.
    Back (like 10 years ago) when I used to shoot with Canon, I was all "must have f1.2". Nowadays, it's too easy to have subjects eyes on different focusing plane even with 1.8. In general, you don't really gain anything except price and size.

I love the 55/1.8, but there are other good options as well.