hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 100 of 104 FirstFirst ... 5090979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2071

Thread: Photography Tech Thread

were you able to sell the Pentax?

that page 100 snipe

And yes, I was, though I still have some lenses that I have to offload (45, 75 and 200mm). That could take a good while considering the size of the local market.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Guys, 8x10 film is lolexpensive.

Mm. I see lots of guys going for X-ray sheet film first due to price, but no idea where I'd look for one honestly.

I use Xray film atm to enlarge negatives, they're not hard to get. But usually they're sensitive to blue or green light spectrum - they give "weird" contrast when you use them to photo stuff. And I feel they don't have a stellar tonal range. On the plus side, they're not sensitive to red - meaning you can process them in normal darkroom light.

Think I've found my dream 8x10:

http://svedovsky.com/cameras/8x10-camera/

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I'm currently in the middle of my project of selling most of the unused stuff I've acquired over the years with the vision of either using it, or repairing it first and then using it; while none of it really materialized in retrospect. So, the Hexar AF and Nikon F3 went to a new home, while the Pentax 6x7 and the Bronica SQ-Ai kits are currently listed.

Hell, I've never realized how much... stuff... I've accumulated over time.
    Update:

I'm a weak, weak person.

To top it off, the Pentax came back to me; it picked the very best moment to exhibit a shutter issue (arrival at buyers doorstep), so understandably I took it back. Managed to exercise it out, but the whole shutter/mirror action sounds a bit unhealthy (= squeaks). My tech refused to take a look at it, on account of no spare parts being available (dude, I just wanted a lube job...). So, the camera body is now promoted to "project", since I have the repair manual and there is a Youtube video or two on the subject.

And, from the "kick him while he's down" department:

The shutter blade wasn't broken on arrival, but snapped within a week of purchase. Fortunately, the guys at the store I've bought the lens from (Kameratori, go Finland) are super nice and replaced the shutter blade without any fuss, and the Planar came in today, good as (old) new.

I'd love some MF equipment, but the cost of the stuff from when I was starting out with photography and didn't feel I could make the most of it, to now when I feel like I could justify it has jumped considerably. At one point an entire 6x6 or 6x7 kit could be bought for about €350/400. Now you're talking a good deal more than that, with the equipment being more abused and lesser quality.

I think I'll be making do with my cheap 35mm kit for a while, even with its availability equally sparse.

Taking a slight detour from your lovely discussion of steampowered photographomats from days yonder, what do those of you who live in the present think in terms of Lightroom vs. Capture One? I got a light version of Capture One for free (Sony version) and it seems alright to me (not doing piracy anymore these days, so money would need to be used). Would I be missing out on something in particular if I stuck with Capture One?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrenda View Post
    I'd love some MF equipment, but the cost of the stuff from when I was starting out with photography and didn't feel I could make the most of it, to now when I feel like I could justify it has jumped considerably. At one point an entire 6x6 or 6x7 kit could be bought for about €350/400. Now you're talking a good deal more than that, with the equipment being more abused and lesser quality.

I think I'll be making do with my cheap 35mm kit for a while, even with its availability equally sparse.
    About 350 is where I'd put a Bronica SQ kit, which is pretty decent (really no different than the Hassie). But yeah, prices slowly going up (which, size of my collection being what it is, I'd be happier about, if I'd managed to not consistently get my hands on hardware that's dying).

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Taking a slight detour from your lovely discussion of steampowered photographomats from days yonder, what do those of you who live in the present think in terms of Lightroom vs. Capture One? I got a light version of Capture One for free (Sony version) and it seems alright to me (not doing piracy anymore these days, so money would need to be used). Would I be missing out on something in particular if I stuck with Capture One?
    This actually interests me as well; the prospect of monthly LR subscription seems more realistic everytime I boot up Darktable (which is fine WRT features, but agonizingly slow).

I used LR for a while, I think I actually bought a version. When I bought my A7 II, I got the Sony edition of Capture One. And as far as I can tell, it does the same things as LR, if not a bit more.

I'm not a super advanced user though.

IIRC the Sony version isn't really a lite version but the full version without support for Phase One backs but instead has support for Sony cameras. That is, profiles and tethered shooting.

Tapapapatalk

Edit: I switched because my new camera wasn't supported by the LR version I had (4 I believe).
    nevar forget

If you're not planning on doing darkroom stuff, don't get lured into MF. There's not much point besides slight increase in scan detail (and not even this if you have dedicated 35mm scanner) or nicer depth of field.

To be honest, there's no point in getting into film photography at all if you don't plan on using these negatives to do oldschool prints.
    Last edited by Venec; September 4 2018 at 08:31:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    I'd love some MF equipment, but the cost of the stuff from when I was starting out with photography and didn't feel I could make the most of it, to now when I feel like I could justify it has jumped considerably. At one point an entire 6x6 or 6x7 kit could be bought for about 350/400. Now you're talking a good deal more than that, with the equipment being more abused and lesser quality.

If you're not planning on doing darkroom stuff, don't get lured into MF. There's not much point besides slight increase in scan detail (and not even this if you have dedicated 35mm scanner) or nicer depth of field.

To be honest, there's no point in getting into film photography at all if you don't plan on using these negatives to do oldschool prints.
    Admittedly I've not been taking photos since I moved to the place I'm in currently, but I've been printing B&W for about five or six years. I already have a couple of enlargers (getting them set up is a whole different thing.) I'd need to get a new lens to print 6x7, but at least one of the enlargers is ready for it. It could also handle wet printing colour film, although that way madness lies.

Also, I'd disagree with saying film photography is only worthwhile if you're making wet prints. I know quite a few people who've had a lot of success scanning black and white and colour film with both medium and large format. The response from some films in colour reproduction, latitude when it comes to dynamic and tonal range, and detail from the larger scans all makes it worthwhile. That's before you even get to the process as a means of shooting. It's only around now that the top end full frame cameras are starting to get near the detail of large format, and it's not quite there, nevermind the other aspects. That's before you get into cost whereby a FF camera could cost 3k plus, while a third of that would have you shooting medium format for a length of time, especially if you're coming from 35mm and have the bones of the equipment already (scanners, enlargers, trays, etc.) Some of the films are even designed with the idea that they'll be scanned and digitally worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I used LR for a while, I think I actually bought a version. When I bought my A7 II, I got the Sony edition of Capture One. And as far as I can tell, it does the same things as LR, if not a bit more.

IIRC the Sony version isn't really a lite version but the full version without support for Phase One backs but instead has support for Sony cameras. That is, profiles and tethered shooting.

Tapapapatalk

Edit: I switched because my new camera wasn't supported by the LR version I had (4 I believe).
    Here is a comparison between the free version that I have and the Pro version (there is a discounted Pro version that supports Sony cameras only):

https://www.phaseone.com/~/media/NEW...1-Express.ashx (opens a PDF)

There are a few editing features that are not available in the Lite version.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post

Admittedly I've not been taking photos since I moved to the place I'm in currently, but I've been printing B&W for about five or six years. I already have a couple of enlargers (getting them set up is a whole different thing.) I'd need to get a new lens to print 6x7, but at least one of the enlargers is ready for it. It could also handle wet printing colour film, although that way madness lies.

Also, I'd disagree with saying film photography is only worthwhile if you're making wet prints. I know quite a few people who've had a lot of success scanning black and white and colour film with both medium and large format. The response from some films in colour reproduction, latitude when it comes to dynamic and tonal range, and detail from the larger scans all makes it worthwhile. That's before you even get to the process as a means of shooting. It's only around now that the top end full frame cameras are starting to get near the detail of large format, and it's not quite there, nevermind the other aspects. That's before you get into cost whereby a FF camera could cost €3k plus, while a third of that would have you shooting medium format for a length of time, especially if you're coming from 35mm and have the bones of the equipment already (scanners, enlargers, trays, etc.) Some of the films are even designed with the idea that they'll be scanned and digitally worked on.
    Shooting LF is esoteric and a niche so I didn't mention it (currently saving up for one heheh). Tonal range can be improved by bracketing and stitching HDR way past what film supposedly offers - colours can be done in post processing. I even saw Lightroom plugins that were designed to imitate classic (T-Max, Hp5 etc) emulsion grain - they were done by scanning emulsion under microscope. That's couple of clicks vs whole developing process/scanning etc. I'm starting to dabble in alt processes now and if I somehow lost all of my photo equipment - I'd prolly just buy a digital and printer to print negatives on. I'm very far from romanticizing film - it's very, very time and material consuming, hence my print comment - going through the whole process just to scan a piece of negative then throwing it in a archival foil is a gross misunderstanding.

Since you do prints, don't get cheap iron curtain stuff. Kievs, Pentacons, Lubitels etc are not worth your trouble. They break down easily, are of crap quality from the start and generally a pain. The only commie block stuff worth recommending are Flexaret TLRs and Meopta enlargers.
    Last edited by Venec; September 5 2018 at 07:33:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post

Tapapapatalk

Here is a comparison between the free version that I have and the Pro version (there is a discounted Pro version that supports Sony cameras only):

https://www.phaseone.com/~/media/NEW...1-Express.ashx (opens a PDF)

There are a few editing features that are not available in the Lite version.
    Yeah, I bought the Sony Pro edition. Worth the price imho (which wasn't that much to begin with).
    nevar forget

Damn, the Sony version looks okay, but I'd probably miss output sharpening (somewhat) and the curves tool (very)...

If you have a Sony camera, you get the Pro version for like €100 or so. Not a subscription and you won't get the latest version as if you had subscribed.
    nevar forget

If you have a Sony camera, you get the Pro version for like €100 or so. Not a subscription and you won't get the latest version as if you had subscribed.
    Thanks for the help, I fiddled around with my version for a bit and it looks okay, so I bought the Pro version for the extra buttons one receives in return (I recommend to use Google and try some of the discount codes from the web for extra discount).

I biked for about 350 kms through mountains. Expect mountain prints in coming weeks.