hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: The Pointless Insurance Thread

  1. #21
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I despise insurance companies in the USA for their byzantine terms and conditions that allow them to weasel their way out of paying for things (damages bills etc), and their lobbying efforts to make insurance a mandatory expense for all citizens thus ensuring their profit line.
    And or if you actually pay for the decent insurance and then they fix stuff for you without any hassles.

    Now we can talk about umbrella policies?
    We can, though i know nothing about US practices or underwriting (though i have had experience of UK Umbrella Insurance). I have heard....stories....about a lot of US insurance but thats about it.
    I'm actually relatively happy with mine. It's not cheap, but I do automotive, house and umbrella policy through the same vendor. I've only ever had to claim once but it was, "oh, that's terrible. Take your car to 'long list of approved vendors' and get it fixed" and that was it as complicated as the claims process got. So far so good. I guess it's worth pointing out that my earthquake policy is as expensive as the other three combined.

  2. #22
    SteeleResolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AKA Pubbie McLemming
    Posts
    3,123
    I grew up as a car IRL and want to insure my garage - what do I do?

  3. #23

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    I grew up as a car IRL and want to insure my garage - what do I do?
    Interesting. I self-identify as a genderfluid bus stop-to-garage pansexual. Would you like to park in me?

  4. #24

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    I grew up as a car IRL and want to insure my garage - what do I do?
    Interesting. I self-identify as a genderfluid bus stop-to-garage pansexual. Would you like to park in me?
    What are your rates for "oil changes"

  5. #25

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    I grew up as a car IRL and want to insure my garage - what do I do?
    Interesting. I self-identify as a genderfluid bus stop-to-garage pansexual. Would you like to park in me?
    What are your rates for "oil changes"
    Depends on how fancy the car is tbh.

  6. #26
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,517
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.

  7. #27
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Motor insurance isn't to help YOU, at least not primarily. It's there in case you fuck up and injure/kill some poor innocent fucker. How many people can afford to pay for a life time of care for an injured person, or compensation for blinding them, or....whatever.

    You get the idea.

    The fact that you can get your car fixed cheaply is lovely, but not really the main thing insurance is protecting you against.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.

  10. #30
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    You get the idea though. The compo you'd have to pay to someone's family if you caused a death would be easily enough to bankrupt most folk.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    You get the idea though. The compo you'd have to pay to someone's family if you caused a death would be easily enough to bankrupt most folk.
    yep. We're talking millions over a lifetime, with a large chunk of that as an upfront lump sum. Normal people could never afford it.

  12. #32
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    You get the idea though. The compo you'd have to pay to someone's family if you caused a death would be easily enough to bankrupt most folk.
    yep. We're talking millions over a lifetime, with a large chunk of that as an upfront lump sum. Normal people could never afford it.
    Same reason to carry umbrella, once you actually have assets.
    meh

  13. #33

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    You get the idea though. The compo you'd have to pay to someone's family if you caused a death would be easily enough to bankrupt most folk.
    yep. We're talking millions over a lifetime, with a large chunk of that as an upfront lump sum. Normal people could never afford it.
    Same reason to carry umbrella, once you actually have assets.
    Damn right.

  14. #34
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London (Silphe ingame)
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    I grew up with a driver (as is the expat way), so sue me.
    if the driver doesn't turn off this radio immediately I'm going to cut out his heart and feed it to him. I simply must return more videotapes

    phoneposting
    I run an impromptu mental health group at work. We're not all Patrick Batemans

  15. #35
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,658
    I only have liability insurance on my car because loool my car worth is 600€. Any insurance would be pmuch more expensive than the car.


    

  16. #36
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    7,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    I grew up with a driver (as is the expat way), so sue me.
    if the driver doesn't turn off this radio immediately I'm going to cut out his heart and feed it to him. I simply must return more videotapes

    phoneposting
    I run an impromptu mental health group at work. We're not all Patrick Batemans
    Narcissistic, power mad, money crazed arseholes with mental health concerns? Sounds like Bateman to me


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  17. #37
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    8,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    I grew up with a driver (as is the expat way), so sue me.
    if the driver doesn't turn off this radio immediately I'm going to cut out his heart and feed it to him. I simply must return more videotapes

    phoneposting
    I run an impromptu mental health group at work. We're not all Patrick Batemans
    Narcissistic, power mad, money crazed arseholes with mental health concerns? Sounds like Bateman to me
    This can only be settled in one way.


    Show us your Business card Djan

  18. #38

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    I grew up with a driver (as is the expat way), so sue me.
    if the driver doesn't turn off this radio immediately I'm going to cut out his heart and feed it to him. I simply must return more videotapes

    phoneposting
    I run an impromptu mental health group at work. We're not all Patrick Batemans
    Narcissistic, power mad, money crazed arseholes with mental health concerns? Sounds like Bateman to me
    This can only be settled in one way.


    Show us your Business card Djan
    This. Block out the name, but I want to see how psychotic that card is

  19. #39
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    Police officers in the US understand this concept. Plus, killing people leaves one less witness.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  20. #40
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    13,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    Police officers in the US understand this concept. Plus, killing people leaves one less hostile witness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •