hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pointless Insurance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I despise insurance companies in the USA for their byzantine terms and conditions that allow them to weasel their way out of paying for things (damages bills etc), and their lobbying efforts to make insurance a mandatory expense for all citizens thus ensuring their profit line.
    And or if you actually pay for the decent insurance and then they fix stuff for you without any hassles.

Now we can talk about umbrella policies?
    We can, though i know nothing about US practices or underwriting (though i have had experience of UK Umbrella Insurance). I have heard....stories....about a lot of US insurance but thats about it.
    I'm actually relatively happy with mine. It's not cheap, but I do automotive, house and umbrella policy through the same vendor. I've only ever had to claim once but it was, "oh, that's terrible. Take your car to 'long list of approved vendors' and get it fixed" and that was it as complicated as the claims process got. So far so good. I guess it's worth pointing out that my earthquake policy is as expensive as the other three combined.

I grew up as a car IRL and want to insure my garage - what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Interesting. I self-identify as a genderfluid bus stop-to-garage pansexual. Would you like to park in me?

Interesting. I self-identify as a genderfluid bus stop-to-garage pansexual. Would you like to park in me?
    What are your rates for "oil changes"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    What are your rates for "oil changes"
    Depends on how fancy the car is tbh.

Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Insurance: the greatest legal scam of the modern world. Yea I get it, people can't afford accidents so it's everyone else pitching in for it, but overall it would've been much cheaper on the whole to self-pay since you don't have to pay for overhead, salaries of agents and the statisticians they hire, etc.
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.

Motor insurance isn't to help YOU, at least not primarily. It's there in case you fuck up and injure/kill some poor innocent fucker. How many people can afford to pay for a life time of care for an injured person, or compensation for blinding them, or....whatever.

You get the idea.

The fact that you can get your car fixed cheaply is lovely, but not really the main thing insurance is protecting you against.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Yeah except if you kill someone in an accident the cost is so enormous most individuals can't afford it.
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.

Smuggo
    Actually, killing people is cheap. Crippling them is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    You get the idea though. The compo you'd have to pay to someone's family if you caused a death would be easily enough to bankrupt most folk.

You get the idea though. The compo you'd have to pay to someone's family if you caused a death would be easily enough to bankrupt most folk.
    yep. We're talking millions over a lifetime, with a large chunk of that as an upfront lump sum. Normal people could never afford it.

yep. We're talking millions over a lifetime, with a large chunk of that as an upfront lump sum. Normal people could never afford it.
    Same reason to carry umbrella, once you actually have assets.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Same reason to carry umbrella, once you actually have assets.
    Damn right.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    I grew up with a driver (as is the expat way), so sue me.
    if the driver doesn't turn off this radio immediately I'm going to cut out his heart and feed it to him. I simply must return more videotapes

phoneposting
    I run an impromptu mental health group at work. We're not all Patrick Batemans

I only have liability insurance on my car because loool my car worth is 600€. Any insurance would be pmuch more expensive than the car.

I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    if the driver doesn't turn off this radio immediately I'm going to cut out his heart and feed it to him. I simply must return more videotapes

phoneposting
    Narcissistic, power mad, money crazed arseholes with mental health concerns? Sounds like Bateman to me

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker

phoneposting
    Narcissistic, power mad, money crazed arseholes with mental health concerns? Sounds like Bateman to me
    This can only be settled in one way.

Show us your Business card Djan

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker

phoneposting
    This can only be settled in one way.

Show us your Business card Djan
    This. Block out the name, but I want to see how psychotic that card is

Police officers in the US understand this concept. Plus, killing people leaves one less witness.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Police officers in the US understand this concept. Plus, killing people leaves one less hostile witness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!