Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    But if you buy a £20k car and it gets burnt to the ground a few months later you will not get anywhere near £20k to replace it from the insurance company.
    See, please stop applying your backwards 2nd world country UK logic to the GERMAN CASE at hand. We have a "Neuwertentschädigungsklausel" in contracts that will refund the FULL NEW LIST price of a car if younger than anywhere between 3months to 18 months depending on your actual contract and rates.
    We do here too. Either Smuggo doesn't understand insurance, or has shit insurance.
    New Car Replacement or Gap Insurance is a thing.
    The very fact you highlighted gap insurance proves my point. It is not your main vehicle insurance, it is an extremely expensive add-on.
    You ignored the other bit of my post, presumably accidentally and not because it 100% disproves your argument which was originally about new cars.
    It's still an extra dude, and when I weighed up the cost it just didn't seem worthwhile for the small chance of a total write-off in the first few years.
    New Car is included in the majority of policies though. From my link.

On 26 May, 2015, Gocompare.com checked 225 comprehensive car insurance policies on the matrix of independent financial researcher Defaqto and found that 92% included new car replacement cover.
    As i said....i think you got shit insurance tbh.

But this is honestly super offtopic, i apologise. I simply had to shoot down the latest "Germany is better because X" post, and Smuggo was the unfortunate ammunition i had to had.
    Presumably that insurance add on is more expensive though. I went for the best deal to get fully comp on two cars. I'm sure they aren't giving it out for nothing.
    Yes, they are. It's included in those policies. I worked in underwriting for insurers prior to fraud, and it has been this way for a very long time. They can do this because it's actually used such a tiny % of the time that it costs them almost nothing.

In fact, you might actually even have it in your cover and don't realise. If you PM me the company you are with (nothing else) i can likely find out for you in about 5 minutes, as long as they aren't a dickish company.

I'm with Admiral m8.

I'm with Admiral m8.
    Haha, shit. yeah, you did pick a bad one. Indeed there is no New Car Replacement as standard on Admiral. Slippery fuckers they are.

I know Direct Line, LV=, NFU definitely include it free. I'm also moderately sure that Churchill and MoreThan do, as do Saga.

I'm with Admiral m8.
    Haha, shit. yeah, you did pick a bad one. Indeed there is no New Car Replacement as standard on Admiral. Slippery fuckers they are.

I know Direct Line, LV=, NFU definitely include it free. I'm also moderately sure that Churchill and MoreThan do, as do Saga.
    It was still way cheaper to insure 2 cars. Like I say, not worth paying more for the remote chance of a write-off.

Playing with my money is like playing with my emotions

I'm with Admiral m8.

It was still way cheaper to insure 2 cars. Like I say, not worth paying more for the remote chance of a write-off.
    Fair. But the option is there, and for people with single or expensive new cars it works well.

Warning though....after working for insurance for 10 years (underwriting and fraud) before moving to what i do now, you ABSOLUTELY get what you pay for. Try not to have an accidents

Try not to have an accidents
    Well that's a given.

EDIT: Also you only ever get your money's worth on insurance if something goes wrong so... Fact is I've poured many thousands away to insurance over the years and am unlikely to ever see that back.

I tell you what pissed me off.....

I had 12 years no claim bonus accrued on cars in 2010. When I got my bike licence, none of that was factored in when buying a motorbike.

But when I had a bike accident in late 2010, I lost all my 12 years car no claim bonus.

Fucking cunts

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post

I had 12 years no claim bonus accrued on cars in 2010. When I got my bike licence, none of that was factored in when buying a motorbike.

But when I had a bike accident in late 2010, I lost all my 12 years car no claim bonus.

Fucking cunts
    Yeah we had it with the multi-car insurance. Apparently we could only "use" the no claims discount on one of the cars. Like... how does that make any fucking sense? If you've not claims for X years then you've not claimed, how the fuck would it matter how many cars you have?

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post

Fucking cunts
    When I signed the insurance on my 1200 GSA SUV the insurance guy first didn't want to sign over the bonus I'd accrued on my car. But after a bit of arguing I managed to convince him.

Same thing on my private car insurance to my company car insurance.

EDIT: Also you only ever get your money's worth on insurance if something goes wrong so... Fact is I've poured many thousands away to insurance over the years and am unlikely to ever see that back.
    I mean...yeah. That is literally the idea of insurance. If you could get your moneys worth if nothing went wrong, there would be no insurers.

My Dad has an insured no-claims or some bollocks.

Surely that completely misses the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I can't drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    My Dad has an insured no-claims or some bollocks.

Surely that completely misses the point.
    Guaranteed? Yeah, thats a paid extra some companies offer.

its fun when the realise that their policies will increase if they have accidents anyway though. People think the NCD is a lot more important to policy price than it really is. I mean...it IS, but your general risk level is a bigger issue.

Growing up in a shitty village has made me grateful for good public transport in london and not needing a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Growing up in a shitty village has made me grateful for good public transport in london and not needing a car.
    Having a car is great TBH, especially out in the sticks where there's little traffic. Wouldn't want to move back into the city as it would ruin driving for me.

I despise insurance companies in the USA for their byzantine terms and conditions that allow them to weasel their way out of paying for things (damages bills etc), and their lobbying efforts to make insurance a mandatory expense for all citizens thus ensuring their profit line.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I despise insurance companies in the USA for their byzantine terms and conditions that allow them to weasel their way out of paying for things (damages bills etc), and their lobbying efforts to make insurance a mandatory expense for all citizens thus ensuring their profit line.
    And or if you actually pay for the decent insurance and then they fix stuff for you without any hassles.

Now we can talk about umbrella policies?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I can't drive.
    bus wanker
    I grew up with a driver (as is the expat way), so sue me.