View Poll Results: stay or go

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • stay

91 84.26%
  • go

17 15.74%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we stay or do we go (FHC Migration poll/discussion)

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Would it be possible to retain user accounts etc while still massively modernising everything if you had complete control?
    Yes. And that is the best possible thing to do. Staying on failheap but with upgraded forum software with every post/postcount etc intact, no need to re-register and so on.

The thing with discourse (the forum software we ran at the other place) is it's as good to run on your desktop computer as it is on your mobile browser. Administration is easier, better search, it scales a lot better. Easier to hack in order to accomodate the community individual needs for functionality. Single signon solutions for basically everyting (including discord and steam).

And CCP migrated their eve forums to discourse just a couple of hours after we set up, which was a bit of a funny coincidence.

edit: https://meta.eveonline.com
    Last edited by helgur; June 20 2017 at 10:17:30 PM.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Would it be possible to retain user accounts etc while still massively modernising everything if you had complete control?
    Yes. And that is the best possible thing to do. Staying on failheap but with upgraded forum software with every post/postcount etc intact, no need to re-register and so on.

The thing with discourse (the forum software we ran at the other place) is it's as good to run on your desktop computer as it is on your mobile browser. Administration is easier, better search, it scales a lot better. Easier to hack in order to accomodate the community individual needs for functionality. Single signon solutions for basically everyting (including discord and steam).

And CCP migrated their eve forums to discourse just a couple of hours after we set up, which was a bit of a funny coincidence.
    Not a coincidence

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hels View Post

Not a coincidence

Can see a issue we would have to change all our clan tags in games from [Fail] and i also have no idea whats going on.

I'm not going to argue against a new forum or anything, yall do whatever you want. To me, a few new mods cleaning out the spam during the time zones I'm sleeping will make this place good as new. As for the forum dying, I think that's more a discussion about internet-based forums in general rather than FHC specifically.

I'm not saying EntroX hasn't been a bit of a mong with being absent lately, but he's no clamdong. FHC isn't going to php critcal error, and he's not going to shut it down without allowing someone else to prop up a suitable replacement, be it giving the domain over or SHC3.0.

God damn, i hope its just a coincidence and that test forum will be nothing but that!

The more i look at discourse the less i like it ^^

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post

I'm not going to argue against a new forum or anything, yall do whatever you want. To me, a few new mods cleaning out the spam during the time zones I'm sleeping will make this place good as new. As for the forum dying, I think that's more a discussion about internet-based forums in general rather than FHC specifically.

I'm not saying EntroX hasn't been a bit of a mong with being absent lately, but he's no clamdong. FHC isn't going to php critcal error, and he's not going to shut it down without allowing someone else to prop up a suitable replacement, be it giving the domain over or SHC3.0.
    Well, having failheap working makes moving a moot point anyway. But upgrading the forum as it is would be nice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    God damn, i hope its just a coincidence and that test forum will be nothing but that!

The more i look at discourse the less i like it ^^
    CCP stated that it would be better to have a forum that works separately from their in house software so their entire communication with their customers doesn't go down every time the eve servers needs maintenance work or shits itself. So it most likely will be discourse for you in the future.

As to your other point, the forum can be customized to our needs in regards to layout and such.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    helgur for admin to assist spasm.

job done?

Yeh, you need Entrox to do it first.

I already made helgur a supermod.

Absolutely stay. A few bots isn't the end of the world, and while annoying the loss of community and exposure would be catastrophic. We still do get new people. The ones that survive and thrive are few in number but all add to the community.

Now that spasm has started getting the shit in order things will get better. I remember what a clusterfuck the original move from SHC was, and i don't care to repeat that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    nah, Entrox made spasm our new admin overlord a couple of hours ago

All hail!

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    nah, Entrox made spasm our new admin overlord a couple of hours ago

All hail!
    So spasm can make you an admin too?

Cool but that's not the point m8.

Are you young going to maintain or update the forum?
    Cuz I don't see entrox doing it.
    Last edited by Stoffl; June 21 2017 at 06:02:06 AM.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

CCP stated that it would be better to have a forum that works separately from their in house software so their entire communication with their customers doesn't go down every time the eve servers needs maintenance work or shits itself. So it most likely will be discourse for you in the future.

As to your other point, the forum can be customized to our needs in regards to layout and such.
    Yeah. I get that. And i hope CCP does some customization too. Out of the box its looks ... how should i put it ... a sprinkle of fancy modern, with its likes and stuff , but at the same pretty character/life-less ...
    vb(4) or the eve forums, as old they are ... they have some character ;P

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Elmlicker and helgur got it looking pretty good in a few hours, it's fairly simple css.

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Cool but that's not the point m8.

Are you young going to maintain or update the forum?
    Cuz I don't seeing entrox doing it.
    I think there is only really one major update/patch (atm) actually from vb4.2.2 to vb4.2.5 , then its upgrading to 5+ (which is another question, 4 is fine imo)
    Although patching past 4.2.2 would be neat, recommended even

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    i really dont want to loose the community. SHC and FHC have helped me through some really crappy RL times. I have made several really good RL friends through it and with the majority of the people i grew up with as friends drifting out of my life, you bunch of mouth breathers are the closest thing i have to a community. id happily be a mod to help out or do anything i just dont want our own little brand of shitposting to disappear.

sorry soppy poast over.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

Yeah. I get that. And i hope CCP does some customization too. Out of the box its looks ... how should i put it ... a sprinkle of fancy modern, with its likes and stuff , but at the same pretty character/life-less ...
    vb(4) or the eve forums, as old they are ... they have some character ;P
    I don't think noone can disagree with that. Being said, apart from the "bland" web 2.0 style it has some really modern optimizations going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    i really dont want to loose the community. SHC and FHC have helped me through some really crappy RL times. I have made several really good RL friends through it and with the majority of the people i grew up with as friends drifting out of my life, you bunch of mouth breathers are the closest thing i have to a community. id happily be a mod to help out or do anything i just dont want our own little brand of shitposting to disappear.

sorry soppy poast over.

Spoiler:
    <3
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar