hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gayming laptops 2017

I tend to agree that a laptop at times deserves a larger initial investment, but at the end of the day it's a gamble. I have RMAed so far 4 Corsair Vengeance laptop DDR3 because they dieded (well, more like suddenly spat out tens of thousands of memtest errors and I was getting regular BSODs). OTOH I have just RMAed half of my desktop RAM, luckily enough they come with lifetime warranty (most of them, anyway).

Begs the question wtf to do when they solder it to the motherboard and it inevitably kicks the bucket. I mean I haven't had any issues with my late 2013 MBP Retina 15'', however I'm having daily backups of it since I'm terrified that it may suddenly crawl in a corner and die for no reason.

I wouldn't invest in a gaming laptop because it is much easier to sort out a desktop at the end of the day and you pay much less for more computing power. Plus going to lanparties is so 1999, really (which is a shame imho). I love the idea of having an ultrabook-like thingie I can lug around easily all day if need be since I don't have the time to game whilst on the go anyway anymore and the big thing at home for proper gaming (which I do less and less, luckily I can justify the costs by actually making it render stuff whilst I'm away).

I find most gaming laptops except the Blade to be large and unwieldy, but you can't really trick physics. Throttling will eventually be a thing as thermal compound dries (and I doubt it isn't applied automagically in big lumps cuz more is better right ) and generally heat builds up like hell inside those tiny boxes. And so is noise.

I don't want to advocate having multiple devices, but lately, after about 18 years (holy shit it's been a while) of toying with computers for gaming and for work I think I can cast an opinion that's not without experience to back it up. Generally I believe that the right tool for the job is something that's designed without (too much) compromise, and gaming laptops are an oxymoron. As are mobile workstations (I did lug around a Dell M6600 which had more problems than it solved and at 4kg computer only I know for sure it built up lots of my muscles ).

It's also very easy to get carried away with configurations and research and in the end splurge a lot more on a gaming laptop than on gaming desktop plus work low powered ultrabook like lappie.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Mate, gaming laptops are just fine as an investment for some people depending on the situation and these days can perform just fine. They are expensive, but then that makes sense when you keep in mind how much power can be packed in these days.

It's just that a lot of people who think they need or want one, don't really.

And dunno my MSI ghost thingy (the thin ones) never developed an issue with throttling or anything, still works just fine performance wise. And i used it as my daily machine for maybe 2 years until i decided i can settle down a little?
    Last edited by Isyel; June 15 2017 at 04:49:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Mate, gaming laptops are just fine as an investment for some people depending on the situation and these days can perform just fine. They are expensive, but then that makes sense when you keep in mind how much power can be packed in these days.
    I remember quite clearly this being said for a while now :3 Like, years.

I actually needed something like this when I got my M6600, since I was on the road a lot and what not, then again I didn't get to use it a lot as I thought I would be, it mostly sat on the window gulping down cold air so it could render a lot whilst I was trying to get some rest between shifts

And dunno my MSI ghost thingy (the thin ones) never developed an issue with throttling or anything, still works just fine performance wise. And i used it as my daily machine for maybe 2 years until i decided i can settle down a little?
    It depends a lot how much you really stress it tbh. If you do use it like you'd use a desktop, it will die (a lot) quicker. I'm not saying they're poorly designed, god forbid, they're masterpieces of engineering, all of them for cramping so much power in such tiny packages, but unfortunately you can't really reason with physics. My M6600 eventually developed a severe cooling/throttling issue and it had to be refunded
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Low budget laptops very a lot between brands, higher end, not so much. I own 17" acer aspire and I love it. Definitely keeping up well with heat, still can run everything on ultra details and I have it for almost 2 years.

get a mac and quit gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

I actually needed something like this when I got my M6600, since I was on the road a lot and what not, then again I didn't get to use it a lot as I thought I would be, it mostly sat on the window gulping down cold air so it could render a lot whilst I was trying to get some rest between shifts

It depends a lot how much you really stress it tbh. If you do use it like you'd use a desktop, it will die (a lot) quicker. I'm not saying they're poorly designed, god forbid, they're masterpieces of engineering, all of them for cramping so much power in such tiny packages, but unfortunately you can't really reason with physics. My M6600 eventually developed a severe cooling/throttling issue and it had to be refunded
    As i said, daily machine, and it was turned on all the time and played just about every major game that came out, and not for few hours either.

It's been said for years now because it's true and your info is *severely* out of date. Just because yours was shit it doesn't mean they all are.
    Last edited by Isyel; June 16 2017 at 10:12:34 AM.

I'm p sure it wasn't shit. It was top end workstation material. It just couldn't cope with the workload I threw at it, plain and simple.

Daily machine is fine and I don't think yours saw more than a few hours total of 100% CPU usage over those couple years. As I've said, rendering is a different thing from gaming and/ or browsing the internets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Banned
    If you do anything to a 17" gaming laptop other than leave it on your desk as a more expensive desktop replacement it'll die within a year

The things are /not/ supposed to be carted around regularly.

can't he just buy a desktop instead?

I've stopped buying desktops after I realized that I never swapped/upgraded parts of them, other than RAM and HD. Which is trivial for laptops, too (these days). By the time I was looking for, say, a new GFX card, the technology had moved so far that for being able to upgrade it, I would have needed to upgrade the MB. And with that the CPU. So basically a new machine. And that's what I did: buy a new desktop instead. But that thing is stationary. That's when I realized I could as well buy a gaming laptop.

I'm not carrying my laptop around outside my home, but inside, I do it quite a bit. Works for me, and I'm willing to shell out the extra bucks compared to an equivalent powerful desktop for this convenience. And I also use it on a daily basis and haven't had more issues than I had with my desktops.

^ I am exactly insame spot. I carry my laptop inside my home a lot. I dont want for it to occupy big part of my room. My desk is everywhere. When I need mobility and laptop somewhere else i bring my 15' thinkpad from work. That brick in unkillable.

I'm p sure it wasn't shit. It was top end workstation material. It just couldn't cope with the workload I threw at it, plain and simple.

Daily machine is fine and I don't think yours saw more than a few hours total of 100% CPU usage over those couple years. As I've said, rendering is a different thing from gaming and/ or browsing the internets

So you're basing your assessment of all gaming laptops on an old one that you used in ways pretty much nobody sane would use, or at least super niche to make it sound less offensive.

Ok.

So you're basing your assessment of all gaming laptops on an old one that you used in ways pretty much nobody sane would use, or at least super niche to make it sound less offensive.

Ok.
    You are right, somehow. However what I'm saying is that if you use it in an intensive way, you're much better off with desktop to to the heavy lifting and a CPU integrated VGA laptop for messing around, rather than gaming laptop to cover both roles

Six shooters ruined PvP.

mate done went and bought an Alienware 17 R4 with all the bells and whistles - 1080, 4k, LEDs, the whole nine yeards for around 3.5k bux
    gwent at 4k, fick ja

Spoiler:

rivals isyel's mom in terms of weight

I've been using that beast (not R4, though) for a couple of years now, works like a charm for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    mate done went and bought an Alienware 17 R4 with all the bells and whistles - 1080, 4k, LEDs, the whole nine yeards for around 3.5k bux
    gwent at 4k, fick ja

Spoiler:

My one foray into gaming laptops was an alienware. It was good, and actually performed well, but the mobile video cards...

The 9800M? 8800M? is had died after 2.5 years and was going to be so expensive to replace i just bought and built desktop. I just don't think they have space to do proper thermal venting.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    gwent at 4k, fick ja

Spoiler:

My one foray into gaming laptops was an alienware. It was good, and actually performed well, but the mobile video cards...

The 9800M? 8800M? is had died after 2.5 years and was going to be so expensive to replace i just bought and built desktop. I just don't think they have space to do proper thermal venting.
    Pretty much everything involved in them, esp the expensive ones, got much better tbh.

gwent at 4k, fick ja

Spoiler:

this looks legit tbh

besides 10xx laptop GPUs are the same as desktop ones, just downclocked

if there ever was a time to consider a "gaming" laptop, it is now

One of those AW 17's for sale as an "open box" at my local Microcenter, slightly lower specs ( 1070 / FHD IPS screen ) but man for $1189 it's very tempting

Quote Originally Posted by gibson banjer View Post
    One of those AW 17's for sale as an "open box" at my local Microcenter, slightly lower specs ( 1070 / FHD IPS screen ) but man for $1189 it's very tempting
    Do it faggot. The case looks solid, the cooling is alright - Witcher turned it into overdrive but it isn't annoying in the least.

4k at 17" is hilariously overrated non-shocker
    Last edited by RazoR; June 22 2017 at 11:34:39 PM.

I tend to agree that a laptop at times deserves a larger initial investment, but at the end of the day it's a gamble. I have RMAed so far 4 Corsair Vengeance laptop DDR3 because they dieded (well, more like suddenly spat out tens of thousands of memtest errors and I was getting regular BSODs). OTOH I have just RMAed half of my desktop RAM, luckily enough they come with lifetime warranty (most of them, anyway).

Begs the question wtf to do when they solder it to the motherboard and it inevitably kicks the bucket. I mean I haven't had any issues with my late 2013 MBP Retina 15'', however I'm having daily backups of it since I'm terrified that it may suddenly crawl in a corner and die for no reason.

I wouldn't invest in a gaming laptop because it is much easier to sort out a desktop at the end of the day and you pay much less for more computing power. Plus going to lanparties is so 1999, really (which is a shame imho). I love the idea of having an ultrabook-like thingie I can lug around easily all day if need be since I don't have the time to game whilst on the go anyway anymore and the big thing at home for proper gaming (which I do less and less, luckily I can justify the costs by actually making it render stuff whilst I'm away).

I find most gaming laptops except the Blade to be large and unwieldy, but you can't really trick physics. Throttling will eventually be a thing as thermal compound dries (and I doubt it isn't applied automagically in big lumps cuz more is better right ) and generally heat builds up like hell inside those tiny boxes. And so is noise.

I don't want to advocate having multiple devices, but lately, after about 18 years (holy shit it's been a while) of toying with computers for gaming and for work I think I can cast an opinion that's not without experience to back it up. Generally I believe that the right tool for the job is something that's designed without (too much) compromise, and gaming laptops are an oxymoron. As are mobile workstations (I did lug around a Dell M6600 which had more problems than it solved and at 4kg computer only I know for sure it built up lots of my muscles ).

It's also very easy to get carried away with configurations and research and in the end splurge a lot more on a gaming laptop than on gaming desktop plus work low powered ultrabook like lappie.

As i said, daily machine, and it was turned on all the time and played just about every major game that came out, and not for few hours either.

It's been said for years now because it's true and your info is *severely* out of date. Just because yours was shit it doesn't mean they all are.

Ok.
    You are right, somehow. However what I'm saying is that if you use it in an intensive way, you're much better off with desktop to to the heavy lifting and a CPU integrated VGA laptop for messing around, rather than gaming laptop to cover both roles

gwent at 4k, fick ja

Spoiler:

this looks legit tbh

besides 10xx laptop GPUs are the same as desktop ones, just downclocked

if there ever was a time to consider a "gaming" laptop, it is now

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting