hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gayming laptops 2017

guys who r the new macbook pros for gaming

also, pre-installed McAfee was literally strangling it

my first advice was to swap it for MSE but he wasn't listening until it blocked gwent tracker overlay
    Last edited by RazoR; June 27 2017 at 08:45:29 AM.

Smuggo
    Not actually looking for a gaming laptop but this is a laptop thread so good enough.

Wife is going to be going to university to get an employer sponsored degree in September and wants a tablet/laptop. The Surface Pro was my main thought as a friend has one and I've used it and it seems pretty decent and has the obvious plus of offering proper Windows. Just wondering though if there any other options to consider that might be better or cheaper. Looking at current prices for Surface Pro 4 (which is now being discontinued for the new model) I can get her a decent one for about 900 to that's my starting price point.

Surfaces are good kit but you need to be real sure about using that keyboard long-term for any serious work. Probably my favorite "convertible" design so far is the Lenovo Yoga series, their hinge is a work of art, you just need to be ok with having the keyboard on the back of the device when you're using it in Netflix mode.

Does the wifey need something like a good stylus for art/3d work? Or is it just sort of a nice-to-have thing.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Surfaces are good kit but you need to be real sure about using that keyboard long-term for any serious work. Probably my favorite "convertible" design so far is the Lenovo Yoga series, their hinge is a work of art, you just need to be ok with having the keyboard on the back of the device when you're using it in Netflix mode.

Does the wifey need something like a good stylus for art/3d work? Or is it just sort of a nice-to-have thing.
    She does like doing art stuff on the computer in her spare time, so it would be good to have that sort of thing though she has a drawing pad for my desktop. For her uni work it is mostly going to be just writing up assignments and shit which obviously can be done any old cheapo laptop, but she'll also be getting sent to the campus for 2-week stints and staying in a hotel there so she'll also want something to keep her entertained in the evenings and such. I also want whatever she gets to be decent enough that she won't be moaning at me to let her use the desktop when I'm gaming etc...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Not actually looking for a gaming laptop but this is a laptop thread so good enough.

Wife is going to be going to university to get an employer sponsored degree in September and wants a tablet/laptop. The Surface Pro was my main thought as a friend has one and I've used it and it seems pretty decent and has the obvious plus of offering proper Windows. Just wondering though if there any other options to consider that might be better or cheaper. Looking at current prices for Surface Pro 4 (which is now being discontinued for the new model) I can get her a decent one for about 900 to that's my starting price point.
    Thinkpad master race

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I think tanoa is easily worth the expansion price the map is huge (i've spent whole session ~4h on half of a r.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

She does like doing art stuff on the computer in her spare time, so it would be good to have that sort of thing though she has a drawing pad for my desktop. For her uni work it is mostly going to be just writing up assignments and shit which obviously can be done any old cheapo laptop, but she'll also be getting sent to the campus for 2-week stints and staying in a hotel there so she'll also want something to keep her entertained in the evenings and such. I also want whatever she gets to be decent enough that she won't be moaning at me to let her use the desktop when I'm gaming etc...
    Yoga 910. i7, good display options, good keyboard, crazy battery life. Get a pen with it and you're laughing. Surface Pro is an interesting option but the kickstand/keyboard is just too awkward to use in a lot of situations imo.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Mate of mine just bought one of these and swears by it. He dabbles in graphic design and he has found it really fun to do aforementioned "art stuff" at work.

EDIT: that's $900 dollaroos, I assume Sterling it's much less. Word of warning if you get the 64 GB SSD option, once Windows Update is done find where it's storing like 15 GB of trash afterwards and reclaim that space.
    Last edited by Sparq; July 11 2017 at 11:14:33 AM.

Smuggo
    Thanks guys, I went for the Surface Pro 4 in the end tho as she didn't like the idea of folding back the keyboard to make it a tablet and preferred the ability to detach the keyboard as she wants to use it in tablet mode a fair bit for making notes and drawings etc...

Got the 8GB 256 SSD i5 version as seems like it will be high enough spec to last right through her course and still run newer stuff.

Bought myself a Dell 7567 i5 7300HQ 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM & 1050 (non-ti) from Dell outlet with a stacking discount for 560 incl VAT. Not exactly _gaming_ but enough for me and my WoT fetish along with some older AAA games.

I'm aware that the screen is SHIT and plan to swap it for an IPS for around 40-50, and drop another 8GB RAM in for 60.

Arrives on monday. Bit of a bargain in the grand scheme of things, and enough for me.

edit - to clarify, I needed a laptop rather than a desktop due to the PROTOCOL of the GF. Plus I like sex
    Last edited by SteeleResolve; July 21 2017 at 09:02:08 AM.

You dont really need to explain yourself - its your money, you buy what you like right?

Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    You dont really need to explain yourself - its your money, you buy what you like right?
    Is this sarcasm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is pretty defensive about it right?

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I think tanoa is easily worth the expansion price the map is huge (i've spent whole session ~4h on half of a r.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    He is pretty defensive about it right?
    Not really defensive, just when I mentioned it in Discord it was pointed out that I should just get a desktop. Usual stuff.