hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the fuck am i doing!

An assault bot is a little more than I want to spend right now while learning how to PvP, I'd prefer to stick to Lights like the Promethius, providing they're viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena Silk View Post
    An assault bot is a little more than I want to spend right now while learning how to PvP, I'd prefer to stick to Lights like the Promethius, providing they're viable.
    Light bots is what I meant. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlona Sky View Post
    Having a recons type buddy to help scout and tackle is recommended, but not necessary.
    Actually, a light bot is pretty much the best scout in the game, as it has the maximum possible sensor strength:
    http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/detection_range

Bringing a buddy along is still a good idea, as the only thing a light bot can hope to kill is another light bot. I assume the players on the beta islands are all in mechs.

Does weapons fire get stopped by buildings? I noticed some NPC shooting me through the corner of a building and i was curious if this is just a graphics bug/poor collision box or whether this is the case will all buildings and such?

Either a glitch or missiles. Missiles make the check on weather they hit or not when they're fired like guns so they can have some weird graphic glitches when you move after they're registered as a hit.

I'd go with pore collision boxes as well.. I have had some NPCs be CLEARLY in LOS and I've hit a building or the intervening ground.. I have also noticed that I occasionally jump around and assuming the hit calcs are done server side then possibly desync?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksim View Post
    Actually, a light bot is pretty much the best scout in the game, as it has the maximum possible sensor strength:
    http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/detection_range

Bringing a buddy along is still a good idea, as the only thing a light bot can hope to kill is another light bot. I assume the players on the beta islands are all in mechs.
    I went out on a solo roam with my ewar bot and found out it does not have that great of a detection range. Found some harvested bot but due to my lolskills, lolewar dps and him having good anti-demobilizer skills; I was unable to kill him before he made it to the closest terminal. Will most likely take a light bot next time for industrial hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I'd go with pore collision boxes as well.. I have had some NPCs be CLEARLY in LOS and I've hit a building or the intervening ground.. I have also noticed that I occasionally jump around and assuming the hit calcs are done server side then possibly desync?
    The Terrain is calculated as boxes and the ground is averaged between them so even though you may see a LOS between the target and you the actual LOS may intersect one of the intersected terrain boxes resulting in a group of shots hitting the floor at some point between you and the hostile. This used to be extremely prominent when shooting down 45deg+ slopes, however the devs managed to reduce that quite a lot.

It is the down side to having a map that is alterable live, every time you have a session change the current map is downloaded. I am not sure how changes will be handled between session changes though for the terraforming stuff.
    I guess that this is also how the buildings hit boxes are the visible structure not quite being 100% accurate to the environmental boxes.
    I believe that the fix they made was to make the hit calcs handle the fact however I do remember the devs stating that it would be way to costly to match exactly what is visible.

Still haven't figured out what the hell i am doing, but the bot thingy was a dissapointment. the promo videos made me think i was gona stomp around in a bigass, mechwarrior-style mech with cannons on it. Not a tiny bug that give the impression of beeing the size of a chiuaua.

Well unless you're in a commie style corp, the pvp will never be like as it is advertised. This is really just EVE, only with much more downtime / grind / whatever you want to call it. Once the transport missions are nerfed the income generation is going to tank hard for 90% of the newer players, it's just a ragequit timebomb waiting to happen.

to be honest, i think the advantages of communism in robot land are kind of neat. i'd rather help my jews mine or whatever it is, compared to running the transports i currently am doing.

The problem is that we all know eve mining is boring and tedious, perp takes that to a whole new level. Most people aren't going to do that unless forced to, and there's really no way to get around that.

For me mining is a nice passive income, I just set up a miner and switch on his lazors, apart from checking the radar it is pretty much hands off allowing me to get on with other stuff as well as supplementing my income nicely.

Think I'm getting the hang of the game. But tbh i have still to find what's supposed to be fun about it.
    The NPCs just sit there shooting me and new ones magicaly appear nicely within range for me to keep shooting at.
    And I still look like a bug rather than a cool mech

Quote Originally Posted by Arele View Post
    The problem is that we all know eve mining is boring and tedious, perp takes that to a whole new level. Most people aren't going to do that unless forced to, and there's really no way to get around that.
    Personally, I find mining a damn sight more worthwhile in Perp than Eve. Having to scan ore fields doesn't really slow you down much, but it's frankly better than belts, and the lack of a drone region equivalent means mining is still an adequate source of low-effort income.

Quote Originally Posted by hroethgar View Post
    Personally, I find mining a damn sight more worthwhile in Perp than Eve. Having to scan ore fields doesn't really slow you down much, but it's frankly better than belts, and the lack of a drone region equivalent means mining is still an adequate source of low-effort income.
    Also the absolute shit recycle rates for no/low skills and the low drop rates of NPCs means that 'mission runners' aren't dumping billions of NIC worth of items on to the market every day..

Certain T1 mods are heavily farmed, like range extenders for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Arele View Post
    Certain T1 mods are heavily farmed, like range extenders for instance.
    That's because they are handy and hard to get.. So build T2? It takes seriously less than a week of crunching every kernel you get your hands on to be able to build up to and in most cases past T2.. T2 doesn't drop very often and is hard to farm, but is SO worth having because of the reduced fitting and weight.

So instead of REing T1 items and building them and trying to sell to an already flooded market, buy those T1 items, prototype them and then RE the T2 prototypes.. You can use buy orders to buy the farmed T1 good and produce the T2 goods for very little extra cost and then sell them back to the people flooding the T1 market at a significant markup.

T2 production is almost as easy as T1 production, especially when you can just buy the T1 goods..

If someone is interested in paying me to farm kernels for them please contact me in game.. I can get the low levels of any colour you want. (I can also apparently farm T1 lightweight frames, missile launchers, light EM guns and demobs if anyone is interested in them, but they aren't worth much)

lesson of the day.
    Your shiny new bot is not invincible.
    5 NPCs with railguns all fireing at the same time has a surprisingly strong alpha.

Well. back to the newbie bot again then... :noob:

but damn. now I want railguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Also the absolute shit recycle rates for no/low skills and the low drop rates of NPCs means that 'mission runners' aren't dumping billions of NIC worth of items on to the market every day..
    That helps, but I was mining in the North to fund PvP when they introduced the drone regions, and I watche Zydrine drop from 4K/unit to 1 inside a very short window. Mission whores made very little difference by comparison.