hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perpetuum Welcoming Bittervets from Eve

Perpetuum Welcoming Bittervets from Eve

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi ... perpetuum/
    Since these two days have been the single most important event since our launch, I feel we need to address both our new players and the situation we find ourselves in. First of all let me offer our warmest welcome to our world and wish you all a pleasant and exciting stay.

We were always expecting to service a large group of players - we just weren’t planning to service them so soon. We were expecting to see these kinds of numbers in four to six months! You all are here, however, and our determination at servicing will be just as persistent as our shiny robot MMOG. Obviously, our newfound popularity is going to come with a slight downside for the next few days, but we’re confident that will be resolved soon. In the meantime, we’d like to share a few things with you that we think you’ll look forward to:

First of all we are going to fix the server issues. The rumors of DDoS attacks are unfounded, it is a flawed achitectural approach that we have to replace. And replace it we will.

Next week, we’ll be releasing the first of many new additions to our PvE content. You can expect a suite of 18 new complex missions with appeal to new and old players alike. Later in July, you’ll see a complete revamp of all existing missions as well, to ensure everyone’s getting the fun they deserve and the NIC they need.

We’ll be completely retooling the website: faster, slicker, and with a newer, more cohesive lore that ties the day-to-day gaming experience with the very fate of Nia. (Oooh!)

Later, you can expect to see the creation of our “Energy Point System” where Agents will finally get an opportunity to do what Project Perpetuum is all about - sending energy back to Earth! The rewards for this system are sure to interest people in all aspects of Nia’s society.

Corporations with territory control will be able to construct and deploy linked sets of structures to achieve even greater goals, and build headquarters to be the envied.

Soon you will even be able to shape the very planet itself! Yes, terraforming - it’s not just for Devs anymore! We’re excited about the possibility of seeing what our playerbase can do, when the tools to change the very earth beneath their feet are placed in their hands.

So once again, welcome to Nia. Please be patient with us while we get a handle on this unexpected - and very welcome! - surge of population, and we’re very much looking forward to sharing with you all the joys Nia can provide.

You can find more information on all this on our dev blog: http://blog.perpetuum-online.com

Until next time, keep an eye on your radar and your guns warm.

Re: Perpetuum Welcoming Bittervets from Eve

Soon you will even be able to shape the very planet itself! Yes, terraforming - it’s not just for Devs anymore! We’re excited about the possibility of seeing what our playerbase can do, when the tools to change the very earth beneath their feet are placed in their hands.
    myre god

Someone should really inform these guys that the spike in numbers is most likely temporary...and dumping money into server expansion ahead of their planned 4-6 month schedule might not be the best idea.

aka Mitix

[01:59:17] <LethalRose> you have to spread out too there are anti blob mechanics
    [01:59:34] <Anilusion> when you die you explode and do damage to stuff around you
    [01:59:43] <LethalRose> you gain a debuff that increases locking time
    [01:59:52] <Wite Melkins> if you abort a mission, do u get a standing hit?
    [01:59:53] <Morrigi> oh look, eve channel
    [01:59:54] <Dark Omega> the more people that are close together the more interference you get which makes it alot longer to lock
    [02:00:02] <Morrigi> hi guys
    [02:00:07] <Drahkar> Also players cause itnerference, which gives an increasing penalty beyond certain levels of interference

gasp

[spoiler:2vgit9td]Interference is common phenomena on Nia that you should be always aware of. Robots in Perpetuum use waves to gain information about the surroundings, and such waves can interfere with each other.

The most common occurrence of interference is when several robots are nearby each other. Interference will affect these robots&#39; sensoring capabilities:

* slower target locking
    * shorter locking range
    * dropping of sensor strength
    * dropping of [[Help:Signal_detection_and_masking|signal detection]]

===The measure of interference===

Each robot has certain parameters about interference.

* &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference emission&#39;&#39;&#39; - The amount of interference that your robot emits.
    * &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference minimum&#39;&#39;&#39; - The maximum amount of interference that your robot can tolerate before suffering sensor penalties.
    * &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference peak&#39;&#39;&#39; - The maximum amount of total interference that can affect the robot. Any additional unit of interference will not affect your sensors any more.
    * &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference radius&#39;&#39;&#39; - The radius that your robot can affect other robots with its interference.

According to these parameters, the total interference of robots standing close to each other - friend and enemy alike - can actually affect their individual sensoring abilities. To avoid deterioration of your sensors, avoid crowd, team up in smaller squads, or stay away from large enemy forces.

You can check your own level of interference on your robot&#39;s status bar, near the speed meter. When it&#39;s green, it means the total incoming interference is below the &#39;&#39;&#39;interference minimum value&#39;&#39;&#39;. When it reaches the orange section, that means your sensor&#39;s parameters will get worse. These two values can change until your total incoming interference reaches &#39;&#39;&#39;interference peak&#39;&#39;&#39;, but after this point your sensors&#39; abilities cannot decline any further.

===The tactical use of interference===

Interference affects robotic sensoring in a negative way, so it&#39;s obvious that this effect can be used as a kind of electronic warfare. The tactical interference equipment consists of two parts: a module and an interference emitter.

First the &#39;&#39;&#39;interference module&#39;&#39;&#39; needs to be [[Help:Robot_equipment|equipped]] onto your robot, then you need to load the &#39;&#39;&#39;interference emitter&#39;&#39;&#39; into the module. You can place the emitter anywhere on the terrain, but it affects robots only on outer zones. It won&#39;t interfere with robots in New Virginia, Attalica, and Daoden. Also, emitters cannot be deployed closer than 150 meters to each other.

The level of emission of the deployed emitter depends on the type of module you use, and also the [[Help:Character_information_-_extensions|extension]] that you can install.[/spoiler:2vgit9td]

tl;dr: Each robot puts out interference. Each robot has a tolerance to this interference. More robots, more interference, and your sensors go to shit. This can also be controlled by players via modules and extensions.

Also addressing what Nicho said. This isn't EVE. This is Perpetuum. Add to the community in a rational and logical manner. Avoid dumping your bitterness on the game and try to get over your paranoia from EVE. Help to nurture Perpetuum and not smother it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho Void
    Someone should really inform these guys that the spike in numbers is most likely temporary...and dumping money into server expansion ahead of their planned 4-6 month schedule might not be the best idea.
    They're not dumb, they know what's going on. That said, if the game doesn't suck, I'll probably wind up subbing an account and keeping it. Even if CCP gets their heads out of their asses here, I'll be -1 account shortly (and -5 if they don't, probably -2 or -3 even if they do), and considering that the Perpetuum sub is cheaper than EVE, I'll probably keep a sub active and tinker with it from time to time. Especially if it really does feel like an early EVE.

Of course, I'm saying all of this before I even get onto the server. Hoping that later this evening as EU and Eastern US timezones get late the server population will die down a bit.

This page has given me some hope that there are still some decent, sane game devs out there.

I think I like the idea of the anti-blob mechanics, but above all, I think that I like the (current) attitude of the devs there, willing to respond to players. Not having to deal with CCP will be a wonderful thing.

Am currently looking for a new abode but will try this after the summer.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Had a chance to get on the server this evening, have to say I have good first impressions of the game and community. A few asshats in the eve channel, but I suppose that's expected. I'll likely keep a sub going since it's cheap and the game appears to be good. Who knows it might keep my from cycling my STO account on and off.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar

Based on what happened today the anti-blob mechanic with locktime is either not well understood or massively overpowered, or some combination of all of that.

Admittedly, we were in noob ships, but I was getting literally a 30s locktime against mechs several size classes up, and there were maybe 20-30 total on grid. Obv. the interference has a max-out number, but damn, 30 on grid and 30+s locktime? dunno about that....
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus Tenebros
    Based on what happened today the anti-blob mechanic with locktime is either not well understood or massively overpowered, or some combination of all of that.

Admittedly, we were in noob ships, but I was getting literally a 30s locktime against mechs several size classes up, and there were maybe 20-30 total on grid. Obv. the interference has a max-out number, but damn, 30 on grid and 30+s locktime? dunno about that....
    I've noticed lock time in general in this game is much longer. I've been running around with a sensor booster in my high. There is also a skill called Accelerated target locking under the Electronics skill set. It helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalnov
    [01:59:17] <LethalRose> you have to spread out too there are anti blob mechanics
    [01:59:34] <Anilusion> when you die you explode and do damage to stuff around you
    [01:59:43] <LethalRose> you gain a debuff that increases locking time
    [01:59:52] <Wite Melkins> if you abort a mission, do u get a standing hit?
    [01:59:53] <Morrigi> oh look, eve channel
    [01:59:54] <Dark Omega> the more people that are close together the more interference you get which makes it alot longer to lock
    [02:00:02] <Morrigi> hi guys
    [02:00:07] <Drahkar> Also players cause itnerference, which gives an increasing penalty beyond certain levels of interference

gasp
    FUCKING GENIUS

Several of us from PL have just started and made a group as well now.
    I used to have a sig.

Oh shit someone tell the dev his new crew of bittervets dont care about roleplaying and we dont want to save earth. Other than that im really excited to be part of the future wave of bitterness to leave Perpetuum in 10 years when they decide they are big enough to do what they want (we got these guys by the balls right now).

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Glide
    Oh shit someone tell the dev his new crew of bittervets dont care about roleplaying and we dont want to save earth. Other than that im really excited to be part of the future wave of bitterness to leave Perpetuum in 10 years when they decide they are big enough to do what they want (we got these guys by the balls right now).
    They can send out devblogs with roleplaying in them if they want.. i just want to kill shit (and get out of this noob bot)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Let me try to rephrase.

I think it's great so many Eve bittervets are trying out this new game...but how many of the hundreds of players that signed up for a free trial do you think will actually stick around and be here in 2 months time? I'm not knocking perpetuum, or being bitter about Eve, I'm just pointing out that this spike in users may be followed by a dip.

aka Mitix

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar

FHC changes games/mmos every two months anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin
    FHC changes games/mmos every two months anyway
    I, for one, welcome our new FOTM Overlord.

[quote=Fourfingers frankie]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tyrus Tenebros":27iifya4

As a pose to eve your lock time is not smaller for smaller bots. A heavy mech has the same lock time as a light bot at base. As most mechs / heavy mechs have one or two of the equivalent of sensor boosters they lock faster. Most of the folks in them will have trained the skills to 10 also. For a competent mech p[pilot your locking in under 5 seconds.[/quote:27iifya4]

sounds like we will be welping a ton of arkhes until we get more ep then....

And how to do MT right.

Quote Originally Posted by DEV Zoom
    As mentioned in the first part of this blog, this will be a microtransaction feature: for a small fee you’ll be able to purchase packages of multiple paintjob tokens that you can use to finalize colours on your robot.
    the quote can be found here

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho Void
    Let me try to rephrase.

I think it's great so many Eve bittervets are trying out this new game...but how many of the hundreds of players that signed up for a free trial do you think will actually stick around and be here in 2 months time? I'm not knocking perpetuum, or being bitter about Eve, I'm just pointing out that this spike in users may be followed by a dip.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level