hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 165 of 168 FirstFirst ... 65115155162163164165166167168 LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 3348

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

Mr Goxx, the crypto-trading hamster beating human investors
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58707641

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Mr Goxx, the crypto-trading hamster beating human investors
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58707641
    "A HAMSTER! I'M BEING BEAT BY A FUCKING HAMSTER!

oh hey, RCAT rose from the dead and is up 70%! *sells*"
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Pandora Papers: A simple guide to the Pandora Papers leak

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-58780561
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Pandora Papers: A simple guide to the Pandora Papers leak

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-58780561
    Remeber the Panama Papers and all the following worldwide legislation to stop this kind of exploitation? No? Me neither ... guess what will happen this time around?

Few more exploding jurno cars, not much else. My bet is on the ones working on Putin and co.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Few more exploding jurno cars, not much else. My bet is on the ones working on Putin and co.
    You bet that the Russian ruling class will be ruined by something everyone assumed already? Or is something new to Russians now?

My course schedule next semester is looking excellent, freeing up more time for me. I'd like to use some of that time to learn more about trading equities. I follow a strategy that is satisfactory to me for the amount of time I've put in it, but longer-term I need to diversify and learn proper risk management at the very least. Has anyone here gone down this rabbit hole and found useful stuff?

Off the top of my head:
    1) furus that explain their strategies, like using options flow analysis e.g. Unusual Whales.
    2) books like Alpha Trader: The Mindset, Methodology, and Mathematics of Professional Trading.
    3) stuff about technical analysis floating about online. Originally, I thought this was bullshit but I've been seeing it work way more often than it should if it was BS.
    4) go ahead and actually study the shit that the professionals study to become a professional, like maybe the Chartered Financial Analyst exams?

It seems painfully obvious that you *can* succeed very well in the market by using even laughably rudimentary strategies so long as your account is less than, say, 10 million dollars. There are strong indicators that there is not much price slippage at those levels, with some small exceptions.

Without large amounts of capital to invest you are essentially gambling on derivative plays or you should just stick money in an index after maxing out your taxable benefits in pension funds.

There are a lot of grifters out there trying to promise you easy money.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    My course schedule next semester is looking excellent, freeing up more time for me. I'd like to use some of that time to learn more about trading equities. I follow a strategy that is satisfactory to me for the amount of time I've put in it, but longer-term I need to diversify and learn proper risk management at the very least. Has anyone here gone down this rabbit hole and found useful stuff?

Off the top of my head:
    1) furus that explain their strategies, like using options flow analysis e.g. Unusual Whales.
    2) books like Alpha Trader: The Mindset, Methodology, and Mathematics of Professional Trading.
    3) stuff about technical analysis floating about online. Originally, I thought this was bullshit but I've been seeing it work way more often than it should if it was BS.
    4) go ahead and actually study the shit that the professionals study to become a professional, like maybe the Chartered Financial Analyst exams?

It seems painfully obvious that you *can* succeed very well in the market by using even laughably rudimentary strategies so long as your account is less than, say, 10 million dollars. There are strong indicators that there is not much price slippage at those levels, with some small exceptions.
    Or you could just #ThetaGang.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    You bet that the Russian ruling class will be ruined by something everyone assumed already? Or is something new to Russians now?
    The modern way is that leaders can be punching a baby to death in front of you, while denying it and nothing will ever happen to them - the next problem comes along too quickly to keep the punched baby in mind.

turns out that the best way to get away with an atrocity against the people is to just quickly move on to committing the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    The modern way is that leaders can be punching a baby to death in front of you, while denying it and nothing will ever happen to them - the next problem comes along too quickly to keep the punched baby in mind.

turns out that the best way to get away with an atrocity against the people is to just quickly move on to committing the next one.
    Dont agree. Our Dutch PM stood down over fuckery with benefits, our ministers of Foreign affairs and Defence stood down over Afghanistan. The Austrian PM is standing down over corruption during the 2016 campaign.

There are high level cases lately of people dont giving a fuck like Trump or Bojo but that doesnt mean its the new norm worldwide.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

Dont agree. Our Dutch PM stood down over fuckery with benefits
    All of my lols. The PM's party has been stumbling from one corruption scandal to the next over the last few years but remains the biggest party in the country because people could not give less of a fuck as long as someone else suffers the consequences and not them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    our ministers of Foreign affairs and Defence stood down over Afghanistan.
    All of lols2. Bijleveld (the minister of defense) came out and announced she had no intention of stepping down despite calls for her to do so. It wasn't until the next day after she had been invited to an emergency meeting with her party leadership that she 'voluntarily' stepped down. Given that her parties' reputation was already in the toilet and is hemorrhaging members out of an open jugular because the only person with actual integrity in that party decided to peace out after they backstabbed him to suck up the PM mentioned above its rather obvious she was pressured into stepping down so the party could save face. (Watching party leadership do a bunch of interviews just to say she wasnt forced was not at all suspicious)

Our government is a perfect example of whispous's point

Can't get your voice loud enough to call for justice if everyone else is already shouting about the new problem

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Without large amounts of capital to invest you are essentially gambling on derivative plays or you should just stick money in an index after maxing out your taxable benefits in pension funds.

There are a lot of grifters out there trying to promise you easy money.
    You are correct that it is gambling on derivative plays. However, the ironic thing is, it's actually the smaller money you have, the better. The reason is that you don't have to worry about price slippage. And unlike Vegas, there are strategies where you are probabilistically assured success.

Seriously, I'm not kidding about last part. For example, you can do something called a debit spread option on Microsoft where you basically bet that MSFT will go up by 5% or more in one year. Go look this up. If MSFT goes up 5% in one year, you will double your money on this gamble. Probabilistically, does MSFT go up by an expected amount of 5% or more annually? Of course it does.

So you see, it really is possible.

That kind of bet becomes unfeasible the more money you have because. For example, if you have 10 million dollars and want to use it exclusively on MSFT debit spreads, you'd need to bet it 2000 times. I have no clue if the brokerages are set up to conduct that number of bets. I haven't gauged what level of $ that is, but for myself, I'm definitely not at that point.
    Last edited by August; October 11 2021 at 05:19:13 PM.

I mean, I wish you the best of luck and all, but this sounds a lot like my friends who were betting on sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post

Off the top of my head:

Or you could just #ThetaGang.
    Theta gang is certainly nice -- I'm assuming you mean covered calls, basically. I think you'd have to do it exclusively in a Roth IRA account to feel confident you're not actually screwing yourself out of extra gains. The reason is that you have to pay short term capital gains tax on your calls. Even worse, if your covered call does hit (of course it will at some point), well fuck, you just triggered a short-term taxable event on your underlying stock. This will fuck your gains up.

Simple example for AAPL stock. The average annual gain over the last 10 years has been 33%. Assume you trigger a short-term taxable event because your call option got exercised. Let's use the 24% short-term bracket. Well, now your annual gain is really 25%. Can you feel confident in making up the difference through the extra income from premiums? I'm not sure. I could be wrong TBH so feel free to educate me.
    Last edited by August; October 11 2021 at 05:34:08 PM.

There's no such thing as a free lunch
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...ra-200-a-year/
    If you're still searching for a PS5 and are a Best Buy customer, your ship may have just come in—that is, if you're willing to spend an extra $200 a year for access.

That's because the big-box electronics retailer is locking stock of in-demand holiday items like Sony's console behind membership of its new Totaltech program. The expensive customer service package was recently rolled out nationwide.
    In a couple of years the disparity between the have and the have-nots will be so large that there will be newly legalised "no pay" jobs where you live in a corporate apartment and sit on corporate furniture while eating corporate food, under the banner of "making sure people have the things they need"

Elysium was a crap movie but the divide it shows may VERY quickly become spot on.

Rent seeking behaviour is the optimal model in an economy which places no value on socially useful work.

Sounds like cultural appropriation of communism by corporations. Just replace the Party with the Board and the end effect for the proleteriat is the same. You get what they think you need as long as you get in with the program, or it's off to the Unemployment Office Gulag with you