hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1697

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

Considering how much maintenance goes into the fryers every day, it probably wasn't worth it as you need people on shift for maintenance anyway.

And doing fries is part of the work done by the guys at the cash register anyway. It's not like you'd save a lot of manpower automating that.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Robots are more expensive than the minimum wage humans
    As are the people required to maintain them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Back on topic:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/busin...ion/index.html

How many of the jobs lost in this recession will be given to robots?
    We're probably going to see the big push into robotics and remote work than what we had before. It was coming, but maybe it got pushed ahead a few more years because of the pandemic. I know some fast food places were testing out automated cashiers and such with one guy working as the manager and tech as the whole thing ran though its automation.
    Have you been to mcdonalds lately?

I cant even remember the last time I used the cashier at that fine establishment.
    Those machines increase throughput though. You can take more orders by a large factor if you've got four order screens + two cashiers processing orders. More orders = more people needed to cook.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Back on topic:

We're probably going to see the big push into robotics and remote work than what we had before. It was coming, but maybe it got pushed ahead a few more years because of the pandemic. I know some fast food places were testing out automated cashiers and such with one guy working as the manager and tech as the whole thing ran though its automation.

I cant even remember the last time I used the cashier at that fine establishment.
    Those machines increase throughput though. You can take more orders by a large factor if you've got four order screens + two cashiers processing orders. More orders = more people needed to cook.
    MY mate has fingers that dont register on the screens. It is quite funny

Back on topic:

Yeah I was part of the team that did some of the validation for this and McD's business plan was always to keep or even increase staff numbers, because they'd identified that ordering, not cooking/collecting, was the bottleneck, that eventually it would (and has) enable online ordering and that people buy more shit when they're buying from a computer and not a person. You don't feel judged by the touchscreen for throwing some cheesy bites onto your order in the same way you do by a person.

The business impacts are huge. The big reason they didn't do it sooner was that to fully enable the customisation of orders that the self-service kiosk facilitates they had to rework the kitchen flow away from dedicated lines to more flexible, on-demand cooking, and that's a big investment for them.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Back on topic:

Yeah I was part of the team that did some of the validation for this and McD's business plan was always to keep or even increase staff numbers, because they'd identified that ordering, not cooking/collecting, was the bottleneck, that eventually it would (and has) enable online ordering and that people buy more shit when they're buying from a computer and not a person. You don't feel judged by the touchscreen for throwing some cheesy bites onto your order in the same way you do by a person.

The business impacts are huge. The big reason they didn't do it sooner was that to fully enable the customisation of orders that the self-service kiosk facilitates they had to rework the kitchen flow away from dedicated lines to more flexible, on-demand cooking, and that's a big investment for them.
    My McD was the first in Germany (or East/North Germany, can't remember) to switch to the flexible line. We ran larger shift crews afterwards. When the order kiosks came, the shift crews got even larger (I didn't work there anymore by then). It was right next to the Autobahn, cash registers were a bottleneck. The kitchen could scale quite a bit in their speed and amount of products made, cash registers were a limited commodity. And no matter how quick you are there, it limits quickly.
    nevar forget

lol 2.3 trillion in loans announced by the fed
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    This was allready known by the banker class it seems (mate told me this a week ago). The total package reserved is 5 to 6 trillion he said. Mind boggling as we are not even 3 months into this shitshow.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    This was allready known by the banker class it seems (mate told me this a week ago). The total package reserved is 5 to 6 trillion he said. Mind boggling as we are not even 3 months into this shitshow.
    Well shit, why not just backstop ALL corporate debt while you're at it?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Could have given every American $20k and they could have voted with their wallets which companies deserved to live
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Could have given every American $20k and they could have voted with their wallets which companies deserved to live
    But what happens when the proles choose the wrong companies?!
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Real capitalism has never been tried etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    The UK has repurposed an old (and pretty useless) startup debt instrument into 'CBILS' to support businesses based on their forecasting before the pandemic hit. Basically if you were eligible for a business loan from your bank before March then you'll be eligible now (with a bunch of qualifiers based on turnover and payroll numbers). The government is backing something like 80% of the debt. We're going to see a huge amount of fraud as soon as the 12 month interest free period on them ends, it'll be glorious.

do a companies house search for "covid claims" and "coronavirus compensation" and similar terms

for bonus points start googling the directors' names plus words like "fraud" and "imprisoned" and "disqualified"

this is going to make ppi look like a primark returns desk

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    This is real capitalism. Free markets have never been tried because as soon as winners start to emerge the rational thing for them to do is dismantle the 'free' bit.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    do a companies house search for "covid claims" and "coronavirus compensation" and similar terms

for bonus points start googling the directors' names plus words like "fraud" and "imprisoned" and "disqualified"

this is going to make ppi look like a primark returns desk
    lol I started playing a similargame with some team members this week. The win condition is finding a tory MP on a directors list.

This is real capitalism. Free markets have never been tried because as soon as winners start to emerge the rational thing for them to do is dismantle the 'free' bit.
    Being serious for a bit, yup, exactly that. Monopolies, oligopolies and all other pathologies are formed and it's all for the big guys left standing to divide and rule. I just find it ironic that people shouting free markets etc the loudest, are the first to chop off the invisible hand of the market when it's banker and their finance pals businesses in danger. If other side does it, it's communism.

Being serious for a bit, yup, exactly that. Monopolies, oligopolies and all other pathologies are formed and it's all for the big guys left standing to divide and rule. I just find it ironic that people shouting free markets etc the loudest, are the first to chop off the invisible hand of the market when it's banker and their finance pals businesses in danger. If other side does it, it's communism.
    Welcome to the social relations between workers and capital. There's been a lot written about it which you might find interesting.