hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1698

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Meanwhile...

So they'll lose their jobs in October, and the October jobless numbers won't come out until after the election in November.

Brilliant, tbh.
    They'll lose their jobs in time to vote though, so maybe not quite that brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Meanwhile...

So they'll lose their jobs in October, and the October jobless numbers won't come out until after the election in November.

Brilliant, tbh.
    They'll lose their jobs in time to vote though, so maybe not quite that brilliant.
    Just blame the dems, ezpz.

Democracy is wonderful: we get the governments we deserve.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Meanwhile...

Brilliant, tbh.
    Just blame the dems, ezpz.
    Singular cases of jobloss, but in the best economy in the best country wich the best president has made possible, all on his own, through his hard work and America is great. Vote Trump!

*voter proceeds to vote trump*
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

So happy to be sweating my ass off 6 days a week fusing "essential" steel instead of flying airplanes. Never thought I would get the chance to say that.
    Last edited by Right Rudder; March 29 2020 at 08:42:27 AM.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Right Rudder View Post
    yes
    so you're saying buy X stocks

Also sold some of my positions, made 8% on that Monday dip last week. Basically 1-2 years worth of earnings in one day. Stock market should have more global pandemics.
    Last edited by Spaztick; March 30 2020 at 10:47:16 PM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    In the coming months, I will probably dump all my money into bank or cruise stocks. For now, I'm sitting on my fossil fuel stocks, but I'm waiting for them to plateau. Fossil fuel ETFs are dogshit atm, though.

Is there a quick way to determine how much debt a company holds?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

In the coming months, I will probably dump all my money into bank or cruise stocks. For now, I'm sitting on my fossil fuel stocks, but I'm waiting for them to plateau. Fossil fuel ETFs are dogshit atm, though.

All public companies should have the reports they send to shareholders available on their websites due to Exchange rules. Debt will be a balance sheet items.

Atm probably more important is when any debt needs to be reissued. Currently money is cheap but credit can be hard to obtain which will affect borrowing costs. If a company has billions in commercial notes coming due in the next few months take that into account.

It's risky but cruise lines are taking a beating right now. Stocks are at all-time lows. Carnival hasn't had stocks this low since 1992 when they were doing well and I'm not even sure if this graph I'm looking at is nominal or real dollars.

If they don't go bankrupt whoever invests is gonna make a killing on the rebound.

I expect cruise lines to get hammered by class-action lawsuits going forward. There was a known problem with illness spreading through cruise ships before COVID, so they'll have a hard time defending allegations that they failed in their duty of care to passengers.

They'll also need to offer massive discounts to get passengers to return given the demographics of their customers.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    It's risky but cruise lines are taking a beating right now.
    The primary purpose of investing in cruise stocks is to get that sweet sweet Carnival dividend, which offers 15% yield. They will probably reduce or cancel their next two dividends, but if you hold onto it for a year...you might triple or quadruple your money, easily.

Stocks are at all-time lows.
    No, they really aren't. A lot of companies that are mulling layoffs have higher stock prices now than a year ago. Wells Fargo has taken a beating, but is still at 2011 levels. There is a lot more downside potential than upside potential right now.

If they don't go bankrupt whoever invests is gonna make a killing on the rebound.
    That's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I expect cruise lines to get hammered by class-action lawsuits going forward. There was a known problem with illness spreading through cruise ships before COVID, so they'll have a hard time defending allegations that they failed in their duty of care to passengers.
    We made the airlines virtually immune to liability lawsuits after 9/11, no reason it can't be done with cruise companies.
    Last edited by Nordstern; April 3 2020 at 02:51:56 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

guhhhh buhhhh what if the people deserve fluid lungs and homelessness because democracy

If you're playing with stocks but are too dumb to know what quaterly/yearly reports and consolidated reports are, stop now before you loose all your money.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

If you're playing with stocks but are too dumb to know what quaterly/yearly reports and consolidated reports are, stop now before you loose all your money.
    This might be the absolute worst time to go yield chasing, especially in businesses like cruises. Especially if you don’t know how to value businesses and read financial statements.

Sit on cash for another month after all q1 reports, then invest it all in index funds of various kinds but with low fees and then walk away. Do monthly savings and keep it up as long as you have a cash buffer to see you through tough times.

Or please go ahead and lose all your money.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Apparently zoom is worth as much as the entire American airline sector now.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    guhhhh buhhhh what if the people deserve fluid lungs and homelessness because democracy
    They voted for fluid lungs and homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Apparently zoom is worth as much as the entire American airline sector now.
    This won't last long. There are a couple of mega privacy bombs brewing.

The primary purpose of investing in cruise stocks is to get that sweet sweet Carnival dividend, which offers 15% yield. They will probably reduce or cancel their next two dividends, but if you hold onto it for a year...you might triple or quadruple your money, easily.
    Are you on crack? No company of any stripe will be paying dividends this year or next and the entire cruise industry is going to go bankrupt.