hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 83 of 89 FirstFirst ... 337380818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1778

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Well that didn't take long. A big deflection from anything I originally said in order to start a semantic argument over human nature which I won't engage with.

It is possible to enjoy things you don't personally own. You may have once enjoyed being in a park or maybe even spending time without being advertised at. Try to remember how that felt before shutting down any discussion because you perceive everything mildly left wing as the enemy.
    Am I shutting it down? Or hate everything mildly left wing? I'm just pointing out what's that going to entail in not too distant future. Give it 8 months and you'll even see it happening. How do you propose this should be dealt with, if at all?

Read my fucking post lmao

What makes you think I'm talking about 8 months from now
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Read my fucking post lmao

What makes you think I'm talking about 8 months from now
    Jesus, is it braindead day? Have you had a lobotomy? Or are you just pretending to be dense because you don't have an answer? In 8 months you will get a taste of what you're proposing would manifest in even worse scale.

Main reason why birth rate is so low in developed countries is people prefer to focus on personal luxuries and commodities (so yes, consuming) or are busy working to be able to sustain their consumer habits instead of having/raising children etc. When you propose substituting personal luxuries or pursuit of them with "collective luxuries that don't involve consumption of privately produced commodities" it's what people will immediately and naturally switch their focus to. And when you point victorians did that, well, they might have. Have you also heard about victorian orphanages or read Dickens? I know it's not Marx, so I shouldn't be even asking, but maybe you should.

Your argument against creating an alternative degrowth model to tackle climate change because lockdown has poor outcomes is a Malthusian argument that birth rates will rise and Dickens wrote about orphans?

You think I'm the one who has had a lobotomy?

Why even bring in birth rates unless you are using this a jumping off point for proposing eugenics in developing nations?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Your argument against creating an alternative degrowth model to tackle climate change because lockdown has poor outcomes is a Malthusian argument that birth rates will rise and Dickens wrote about orphans?

You think I'm the one who has had a lobotomy?

Why even bring in birth rates unless you are using this a jumping off point for proposing eugenics in developing nations?
    I have no argument against it and was sincerely asking what your proposed solution would be. Here:
    How do you propose this should be dealt with, if at all?
    in my previous post.

Thank you for letting me know what was the first thing that came to your mind.

IMPLIED
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

@rufuske he's rejecting your premise.

What evidence do you have to suggest that a well educated population with access to widespread contraception and high quality health care will, when provided with increased leisure time and greater public amenities, engage in a baby boom?

Everything I've seen is that the decrease in birth rate is strongly correlated to education and female empowerment, I've seen nothing to suggest it's inversely correlated with leisure time or access to public amenities.

I think we all agree that the aim point is a world society with at least western standards of living (in terms of things like education, health care etc) but with the lowest possible rates of consumption and probably a ~2.1 birth rate (or perhaps lower).

Many, if not all, of the goods and services that make up a "good life" are not necessarily carbon intensive. A large part of the issue is that the present model of "a good life" is car-centric, disposable and furled by consumption.

Imagine people having the ability to pursue knowledge and hobbies to their hearts desire without being constantly shackled by a hateful model that wants to make them all slaves to capital.

And the majority decides they'll instead throw it away and use all that time to raise children.

Ahahahahahahahahah. And the man talks about human nature. Whew.

Everything I've seen is that the decrease in birth rate is strongly correlated to education and female empowerment, I've seen nothing to suggest it's inversely correlated with leisure time or access to public amenities.
    Yeah if anything when people are comfortable and don't feel the need to have offspring to sustain them, aka a non fucked system, shit goes down.

Didn't realize in rufuske world as we grew more prosperous and educated the more children we started having.

Oh and on top of everything, shall we mention how much of a problem the aging population in developed countries is? Wanna breach that subject Mr overpopulation? That issue is mostly in poorer developing places where the need for bodies is high. The west already produces way more food and goods than needed as is, so tell me, where does this mythical problem come in?
    Last edited by Isyel; May 22 2020 at 03:54:42 AM.

Many Americans used part of their coronavirus stimulus check to trade stocks

Trading stocks was among the most common uses for the government stimulus checks in nearly every income bracket, according to software and data aggregation company Envestnet Yodlee.
    People earning between $35,000 and $75,000 annually traded stocks about 90% more than the week prior to receiving their stimulus check.
    “There’s clearly a correlation between Covid and people being reengaged with their money,” Bill Parsons, Group President, Data Analytics at Envestnet Yodlee told CNBC.
    The coronavirus rout also appeared to bring a copious amount of new accounts to online brokers in the first quarter
    People are buying stocks, economy is fixed.

Trading stocks was among the most common uses for the government stimulus checks in nearly every income bracket, according to software and data aggregation company Envestnet Yodlee.
    People earning between $35,000 and $75,000 annually traded stocks about 90% more than the week prior to receiving their stimulus check.
    “There’s clearly a correlation between Covid and people being reengaged with their money,” Bill Parsons, Group President, Data Analytics at Envestnet Yodlee told CNBC.
    The coronavirus rout also appeared to bring a copious amount of new accounts to online brokers in the first quarter
    priced in

Heh, that describes me to a T.

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

... Dickens wrote about orphans?
    Please Sir, can I have some of the means of production?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    More? You want more?

chases you out of the Rhodesian orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Of course not, but you can have a little worker representation as a treat.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Okay, economists who write articles, we need to talk.

I, a filthy entitled millennial, have given up avocado toast, Starbucks, eating out, buying designer threads, basically put my social life (and spending) on hold, worked my ass off at my quasi-essential company at the risk of contracting a virus that may kill my father, all in order to have enough money to buy into your housing scheme.

So why the fuck am I still having trouble finding an affordable house? According to you, I should have enough to buy a mansion.

Did you lie to us? Or did you just not care?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

I, a filthy entitled millennial, have given up avocado toast, Starbucks, eating out, buying designer threads, basically put my social life (and spending) on hold, worked my ass off at my quasi-essential company at the risk of contracting a virus that may kill my father, all in order to have enough money to buy into your housing scheme.

So why the fuck am I still having trouble finding an affordable house? According to you, I should have enough to buy a mansion.

The crucial ingredient you are missing is inheriting a lump sum off a relatively wealthy family member. Shit's fucked, yo.

*roleplay

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

The crucial ingredient you are missing is inheriting a lump sum off a relatively wealthy family member. Shit's fucked, yo.
    I have that ingredient! But home prices are going up faster than the difference I'm trying to make up!
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 27 2020 at 01:29:17 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

No saving, only spend!

And unless you buy now, take on an immense mortgage and get a second job, it will be even harder as prices will only increase. Stonks only go up, after all.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277