hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 257

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

  1. #221
    Yankunytjatjara's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post


    it's no Starcraft, but it's not that far off.
    No its not even a full dota game its a tiny fraction of it and not even close to starcraft m8
    That'll happen soon enough...

    https://deepmind.com/blog/deepmind-a...h-environment/

    https://github.com/deepmind/pysc2

  2. #222
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    20,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Really hyped for this, but there is this: [img]https://github.com/media/cdvikyrw4aac732.jpg[/img.

  3. #223
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,945
    Dun Dun Dun!

    Ford and Domino’s Pizza are teaming up to test self-driving pizza delivery cars in Michigan, as part of an effort to better understand how customers respond to and interact with autonomous vehicles.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/1...lf-driving-car
    meh

  4. #224

    Join Date
    November 30, 2014
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Dun Dun Dun!

    Ford and Domino’s Pizza are teaming up to test self-driving pizza delivery cars in Michigan, as part of an effort to better understand how customers respond to and interact with autonomous vehicles.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/1...lf-driving-car
    I assume they will respond with theft.

  5. #225
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    27,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Dun Dun Dun!

    Ford and Domino’s Pizza are teaming up to test self-driving pizza delivery cars in Michigan, as part of an effort to better understand how customers respond to and interact with autonomous vehicles.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/1...lf-driving-car
    I assume they will respond with theft.
    well, actually

    Those who participate in the test can track their order through a Domino’s app and will receive a unique code that matches the last four digits of their phone number to be used to unlock the so-called Heatwave Compartment — a container that keeps pizzas warm in the back of the car. Information will be communicated through screens and speakers on the exterior of the cars.
    also

    Each car will be driven by a Ford safety engineer, with other researchers onboard, who will zero in on the last 50 feet of the customer experience.

    Sherif Marakby, Vice President of Ford Autonomous Vehicles and Electrification, described the project as ethnographic research in an interview with The Verge. “We don’t want to wait until we get everything done on the tech and remove the driver. We’re trying to start doing the research. We still are working on the technology, because it’s not ready to be put on public streets,” he said. “It’s simulating that the vehicle is in autonomous mode.”
    Last edited by RazoR; August 30 2017 at 03:22:24 AM.

  6. #226
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Dun Dun Dun!

    Ford and Domino’s Pizza are teaming up to test self-driving pizza delivery cars in Michigan, as part of an effort to better understand how customers respond to and interact with autonomous vehicles.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/1...lf-driving-car
    I assume they will respond with theft.
    well, actually

    Those who participate in the test can track their order through a Domino’s app and will receive a unique code that matches the last four digits of their phone number to be used to unlock the so-called Heatwave Compartment — a container that keeps pizzas warm in the back of the car. Information will be communicated through screens and speakers on the exterior of the cars.
    also

    Each car will be driven by a Ford safety engineer, with other researchers onboard, who will zero in on the last 50 feet of the customer experience.

    Sherif Marakby, Vice President of Ford Autonomous Vehicles and Electrification, described the project as ethnographic research in an interview with The Verge. “We don’t want to wait until we get everything done on the tech and remove the driver. We’re trying to start doing the research. We still are working on the technology, because it’s not ready to be put on public streets,” he said. “It’s simulating that the vehicle is in autonomous mode.”
    Its basically the vending machine experience. but it comes to you when you call for it.
    meh

  7. #227
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    1,766
    Since this is an economics thread: Look who's back (or never left?)!

    ‘Nonprime has a nice ring to it’: the return of the high-risk mortgage
    https://www.ft.com/content/3c245dee-...2-e46f43c5825d
    (paywall to remind you that being poor is bad for you)

    At Citadel, which normally aims a notch or two below the typical Impac customer, in terms of credit score and debt-to-income ratios, there are seven foreclosures among 3,500 or so loans. That has prompted Perl to push out the boat a bit. In August he launched a new loan called “The One”, allowing a self-employed borrower to qualify based on one month’s bank statement rather than the usual 12. The move has “got everyone a little nervous”, he admits, despite a long list of safety features. But he reckons he has another four to five years of “clear sailing” before the market starts to turn once more. [...]

    As for “subprime”, he never liked it. “It sounds kind of neanderthal, doesn’t it? It sounds almost like you’re a monkey and humans are better. But nonprime has a nice ring to it.”*

  8. #228
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    13,342
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Since this is an economics thread: Look who's back (or never left?)!

    ‘Nonprime has a nice ring to it’: the return of the high-risk mortgage
    https://www.ft.com/content/3c245dee-...2-e46f43c5825d
    (paywall to remind you that being poor is bad for you)

    At Citadel, which normally aims a notch or two below the typical Impac customer, in terms of credit score and debt-to-income ratios, there are seven foreclosures among 3,500 or so loans. That has prompted Perl to push out the boat a bit. In August he launched a new loan called “The One”, allowing a self-employed borrower to qualify based on one month’s bank statement rather than the usual 12. The move has “got everyone a little nervous”, he admits, despite a long list of safety features. But he reckons he has another four to five years of “clear sailing” before the market starts to turn once more. [...]

    As for “subprime”, he never liked it. “It sounds kind of neanderthal, doesn’t it? It sounds almost like you’re a monkey and humans are better. But nonprime has a nice ring to it.”*
    I guess this explains all those adverts you see everywhere offering chumps small investors the opportunity to "invest in property" by taking shares of a property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  9. #229
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    775
    Well, I've always assumed that a market crash is few years away once you start seeing adverts on "investment opportunities" for the common man on the bus stops and the like. Sounds about right again.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  10. #230
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,053
    i for one look forward to the conflagration and all the "serious people" who claim it could not be predicted while demanding we give proverbial container-ship loads of money to assorted banks to keep them afloat. that way we can further butcher the welfare state in order to fund another round of tax-cuts for the richest so we can truly become the hyper-capitalist dystopia we're destined to become.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  11. #231
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    14,211
    And the poor will suffer what they must.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  12. #232
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    And the poor will suffer what they must.
    the poor will be used for fuel in order to build "our" fully automated luxury capitalist future.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  13. #233
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Since this is an economics thread: Look who's back (or never left?)!

    ‘Nonprime has a nice ring to it’: the return of the high-risk mortgage
    https://www.ft.com/content/3c245dee-...2-e46f43c5825d
    (paywall to remind you that being poor is bad for you)

    At Citadel, which normally aims a notch or two below the typical Impac customer, in terms of credit score and debt-to-income ratios, there are seven foreclosures among 3,500 or so loans. That has prompted Perl to push out the boat a bit. In August he launched a new loan called “The One”, allowing a self-employed borrower to qualify based on one month’s bank statement rather than the usual 12. The move has “got everyone a little nervous”, he admits, despite a long list of safety features. But he reckons he has another four to five years of “clear sailing” before the market starts to turn once more. [...]

    As for “subprime”, he never liked it. “It sounds kind of neanderthal, doesn’t it? It sounds almost like you’re a monkey and humans are better. But nonprime has a nice ring to it.”*
    It basically never left, the mortgages were pulled for a year or two then came back.

    Financial markets are totally fucked, consumer credit growth has been the only thing keeping the economy going, often on very low rates. I've been tarting about credit card debts on 0% deals for 5 years now, my mortgage has been stupidly cheap. Conversely savings pay so little they are losing money in real terms.

    The financial crisis never ended it was just covered up with central bank money, low interest rates and a credit binge but soon it will be back and even worse than before. The only solution it to realise this economic model is fundamentally broken and can never be made to work. Let the banks collapse next time and start again.

  14. #234
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    14,211
    The key thing is when the banks collapse the burden is placed on the shoulders of those who can withstand it.

    People with one mortgage should keep their home. Buy to let landlords should cede their additional investment properties to housing associations and their tenants protected. Write off the credit card debt. Make housing a right. Enroll pensioners who had private schemes that crashed and burned on a universal basic income. Salvage productive financial assets and instruments into a national kitty to shore up currency.

    The biggest thing after that is making sure everybody after that plays by the same rules. Any nations who start a race to the bottom of regulations for financial markets need to become international pariahs. We have to learn from the mistakes of the next collapse of finance capital. It can't be continually excused in order to wage class warfare on behalf of capital against labour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  15. #235
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,275

  16. #236
    Smuggo
    Guest
    He seems ridiculously paranoid about AI.

    In other news, UK union says productivity gains from AI and automation should be used to help workers to retire earlier. https://www.theguardian.com/business...-age-tuc-urges

  17. #237
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    He seems ridiculously paranoid about AI.

    In other news, UK union says productivity gains from AI and automation should be used to help workers to retire earlier. https://www.theguardian.com/business...-age-tuc-urges
    AGI and automation are very different things.

  18. #238
    Larkonis Trassler's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    FEARLESS.
    Posts
    11,197
    Tesla Autopilot 'partly to blame' for crash

    The US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has found that Tesla's Autopilot system was partly to blame for a fatal accident in which a Model S collided with a lorry.

    Federal investigators say Tesla "lacked understanding" of the semi-autonomous Autopilot's limitations.

    The NTSB recommended that car manufacturers and regulators take steps to ensure such systems are not misused.

    It said the collision should never have happened.

    The crash, in May 2016, led to the death of Tesla driver Joshua Brown, 40. The driver of the truck, which was pulling a trailer, was unhurt.

    "In this crash, Tesla's system worked as designed, but it was designed to perform limited tasks in a limited range of environments," Christopher Hart, a member of the NTSB said in a meeting to discuss the findings of its investigation.

    "Tesla allowed the driver to use the system outside of the environment for which it was designed, and the system gave far more leeway to the driver to divert his attention to something other than driving."

    In June, the NTSB released a 500-page report stating that in 37 minutes of driving, Mr Brown had his hands on the wheel for just 25 seconds.

    At the time, the lorry driver told the Associated Press that Mr Brown had been watching a Harry Potter film when the collision occurred.

    However, the NTSB said today that there was no evidence that Mr Brown was watching a film while he was driving.

    The safety board added that the lorry driver refused to be interviewed for its investigation.
    Primary factors

    The NTSB found that both Mr Brown and the lorry driver had sufficient sight distance to afford time for either party to have acted to prevent the collision.

    The investigation found that Mr Brown's inattention and the lorry driver's unwillingness to give way were both primary factors of the crash.

    The investigators could not find a reason why Mr Brown was inattentive.

    However, they confirmed that neither driver was fatigued or impaired by alcohol and drugs, and neither driver was distracted by a mobile device.

    Following the meeting, the NTSB's report includes seven safety recommendations requiring car manufacturers to add safeguards to prevent automated vehicle control systems from being used outside the conditions for which they were designed.

    Tesla has yet to respond to the NTSB's findings.
    My bold. He should have read the manual and not watched Harry Potter.


  19. #239

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    5,777
    He should, but I doubt Tesla impress on their customers that their self-driving cars should actually be treated as regular cars with a smarter emergency brake system.

  20. #240
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,053
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •