hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3138394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

I wanted to be scientist or artist. Then I thought to be a translator. Became a bike mechanic

I agree that this is the correct approach, btw. He's identified exactly where the value is.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/27/2...ook-journalism

Sanders also calls for a more ambitious idea that has been floating around left-wing policy circles all year: a tax on targeted advertising that would funnel money directly from tech giants to local newsrooms.
    meh

Depends who ends up owning the local news rooms
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    In our case, the same family who got weed outlawed.
    meh

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I agree that this is the correct approach, btw. He's identified exactly where the value is.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/27/2...ook-journalism

Sanders also calls for a more ambitious idea that has been floating around left-wing policy circles all year: a tax on targeted advertising that would funnel money directly from tech giants to local newsrooms.
    How many of those newsrooms are owned by Sinclair?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    They are generally owned by massive conglomerates

Exactly.

Maybe if the proceeds were used to enable journalists to work independently to the whims of billionaire media owners there would be a healthier ecosystem of information. Otherwise it's a scheme to subsidise mainstream media without addressing the decline of journalism as a profession.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I think there are other problems besides a few rich assholes hoovering up news outlets

Local journalists seem to have had their brains pickled in a right-wing jar for years. For instance they think there's nothing wrong with mugshot "reporting" thanks to decades of Law and Order coverage.

Mugshots being public record is mind-boggling.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Argentina's economy is imploding.

It implodes every other day!

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    A good war will sort that out quick smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Are Juntas trendy again yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelfreak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    A good war will sort that out quick smart.
    Ffs i already bought plane tickets to Patagonia. Wait with any problems till next year.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

They didn't do a whole lot to create a sound economic foundation after they got screwed by the IMF in 2001 and now they've spent 3 years letting go of trying to run a command economy they've got a pretty big inflationary crisis. Capital controls incoming and an apparently large black market of dollars seem to be fanning the flames.

It looks like they're once again asking the IMF for a bunch of cash. Which they'll get but only if the gov promises to make the public's life miserable.

Krugman tweeted a brief summary: https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/stat...95812165885954 .

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    They didn't do a whole lot to create a sound economic foundation after they got screwed by the IMF in 2001 and now they've spent 3 years letting go of trying to run a command economy they've got a pretty big inflationary crisis. Capital controls incoming and an apparently large black market of dollars seem to be fanning the flames.

It looks like they're once again asking the IMF for a bunch of cash. Which they'll get but only if the gov promises to make the public's life miserable.
    Wonder if they will default on their debt AGAIN

You know it's bad when a corpmate may have to stop playing eve because his Internet bill is inflating so fast he cant pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

Wonder if they will default on their debt AGAIN
    I'm not really sure what their options are at the moment. Obviously everyone will be crowing about "fiscal consolidation" but their dual currency culture must make public accounting very convoluted.