hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129136137138139
Results 2,761 to 2,768 of 2768

Thread: (Germany über alles) Superior EU Politics Thread

Oh right I forgot I'm so sorry about this.

Some of you also think facebook trolling got Trump elected...

Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I like how you guys still think facebook is relevant. It's quite clear you're all over 30. Guys technology simply overtook you and you're still stuck in 2010

It's all about Instagram and Snapchat now. I know a lot of people who stoped using facebook because of the ads literally everywhere
    Facebook owns Instagram, and Snapchat didn't grow user count last quarter. That's like being caught committing pedophilia in tech.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Starting my "online career" back in the haydays of CompuServe etc. I'm well aware of what dwelt in newsgroups. But it required at least a bit of technical skill to get there.

FB OTOH is easily accessable for everyone and feeds innoncent users content from whomever.

Yes, the same did happen in newsgroups or later forums, too. But one had a) to search fo those content and b) they mostly stick to themselves. I only ever registered to forums that had interesting content (to me). Whereas, say the Thule Netz/Web, didn't really appeal to me. And I would have to go thru hoops to get access. So a casual visitor was less likely of being exposed to the propaganda in there.

[Added]
    What Barth explained ...
    you'd get the same sort of shit we see today on the more general newsgroups Hel, stuff like HH1488 posting about the evils of Yugoslav refugees on the general news group was commonplace only it was easier to filter out in large part because the userbase was smaller so it was immediately obvious when somebody tried to poison the well with that sort of shit.
    See, I was all over newsgroups. And found the web replacment for newsgroups - the forum, a rather shitty replacment in the beginning. But I never stumpled over one of those, because - and that's my argument the whole time - one had to actively search for the servers/groups that may have intersting content. And then subscribe to them, configure the newsreader, download what was there, start reading.

The "user must be active in order to access 'bad' content" is the difference to FB etc, where FB "suggests" content to a user, without him actively searching for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I like how you guys still think facebook is relevant. It's quite clear you're all over 30. Guys technology simply overtook you and you're still stuck in 2010

It's all about Instagram and Snapchat now. I know a lot of people who stoped using facebook because of the ads literally everywhere
    It's still Zuck's empire. I don't see the difference here.

Starting my "online career" back in the haydays of CompuServe etc. I'm well aware of what dwelt in newsgroups. But it required at least a bit of technical skill to get there.

FB OTOH is easily accessable for everyone and feeds innoncent users content from whomever.

Yes, the same did happen in newsgroups or later forums, too. But one had a) to search fo those content and b) they mostly stick to themselves. I only ever registered to forums that had interesting content (to me). Whereas, say the Thule Netz/Web, didn't really appeal to me. And I would have to go thru hoops to get access. So a casual visitor was less likely of being exposed to the propaganda in there.

[Added]
    What Barth explained ...
    you'd get the same sort of shit we see today on the more general newsgroups Hel, stuff like HH1488 posting about the evils of Yugoslav refugees on the general news group was commonplace only it was easier to filter out in large part because the userbase was smaller so it was immediately obvious when somebody tried to poison the well with that sort of shit.
    See, I was all over newsgroups. And found the web replacment for newsgroups - the forum, a rather shitty replacment in the beginning. But I never stumpled over one of those, because - and that's my argument the whole time - one had to actively search for the servers/groups that may have intersting content. And then subscribe to them, configure the newsreader, download what was there, start reading.

The "user must be active in order to access 'bad' content" is the difference to FB etc, where FB "suggests" content to a user, without him actively searching for it.
    It works in the inverse though. It shows you things you like, or more accurately, people that "look" like you (to the "algorithm") like. You can take active steps to train it not to show you retarded junk. You can even do this with political stuff, If you want to see that at all. My feed, on facebook, which is the way the old city I grew up in diaspora have chosen to stay in touch with each other, is literally just that. Pictures of friends and their, by now, copious collection of children and pets. I aggressively prune anything else that creeps on there. I don't really see this as different to configuring a newsreader and then subscribing to NNTP feeds. Just in reverse.

The problem here is the default settings, the effort (or lack thereof) to tell users how to do this, and the open barn door on the backend where they sell your persona to anyone one who wants it. I accept the advertising as the cost of entry (because it is), and I minimize the usable information they need to really monetize me on the back end. Things like GDPR (my issue with the tactics of some groups aside) will help here. Having some insight into how all this stuff works helps there, no doubt. There is value to the user, in some ways, from a service like facebook (really, more a set of technology that can recommend things to users, see also Amazon or Netflix, which just suggest a narrower set of things), but Facebook have done a terrible job showing it to some users, and happily profit off the oblivious ones, who just want to see pictures of their grandkids and believe a cabal of Jews run the deep state.
    meh

Three or so years ago there was a big Meta study that said 70% of all online news articles had their origin in print media.
    Has that radically changes ?

Ill see if i can find the correct link with correct numbers but it was close iirc.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

[Added]
    What Barth explained ...

It works in the inverse though. It shows you things you like, or more accurately, people that "look" like you (to the "algorithm") like. You can take active steps to train it not to show you retarded junk. You can even do this with political stuff, If you want to see that at all. My feed, on facebook, which is the way the old city I grew up in diaspora have chosen to stay in touch with each other, is literally just that. Pictures of friends and their, by now, copious collection of children and pets. I aggressively prune anything else that creeps on there. I don't really see this as different to configuring a newsreader and then subscribing to NNTP feeds. Just in reverse.
    The difference is the initial/default setup:
    - Newsreader: not configured, i.e. not subscribed to any newsgroup at al = you see nothing
    - FB: not configured = you see stuff that FB deems "relevante" to you.

While I don't know the specifics of FB, I'm ofc exposed to these kind of "relevance estimating" by other services. Be that search engines or shopping sides. And my experience with those tells me that sometimes is outright ridiculous.

I don't know how many FB*) user's bother to tweak those filters. And that's when FB, without being "properly" configured, potentially feeds 'em crap.

*) I am and have been using "FB" as an example for all social media sites in all my statements.