hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The bomber & gravity part can be handwaved by saying the huge battleship's own gravity generators created the extended gravity field, that's why the bombs could fall 'down'.

Same special techoblabla is needed since the first movies: why the ships slow down when they cut the engines... in space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Kylo isn't a Vader, he's an angry, lost man with super powers. Rey isn't a lost farm boy chasing dreams like Luke.
    Isn't he? I mean Kylo was pretty rad in this movie, [so was Rey tbh] so y'know, it might be nice to know a little from the established universe.
    If you have never seen a Star wars film in your life it wouldn't quite rankle with that person, however, a great deal have.

Rey isn't a lost farm boy chasing dreams like Luke. All of this is new and refreshing.
    No she is a just a lost space scavenger from another desert planet [with no parents just like old Luke]. It is not REALLY new and refreshing which is why some Star Wars fans lap it up
    and why some dislike it. Its like putting on those old Star Wars slippers while smoking your lightsabre pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

You know those bombers are an easy target, but some hand-wavium to explain them is rather easy. Hell, they could be magnetic, and simply "fall" in the direction of the largest metal ship around.

Clearly they were going for the "B-17's over Germany" type vibe, like so many other Star Wars stuff was really just WWII in Space.
    I get what they were going for.. and yes magnetism / large ships generating their own gravity wells etc. I guess.

My point was that they have an open access bomb bay that the crew can get in, but somehow when you open the bomb bay doors niether the crew nor their atmosphere is sucked out into space.

Usually they hand wave this with the blue magic atmospheric force field thingy - like they use on hangers - they just didnt seem to bother putting the effort in with rendering here though for some reason. I found it odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post

You know those bombers are an easy target, but some hand-wavium to explain them is rather easy. Hell, they could be magnetic, and simply "fall" in the direction of the largest metal ship around.

Clearly they were going for the "B-17's over Germany" type vibe, like so many other Star Wars stuff was really just WWII in Space.
    I get what they were going for.. and yes magnetism / large ships generating their own gravity wells etc. I guess.

My point was that they have an open access bomb bay that the crew can get in, but somehow when you open the bomb bay doors niether the crew nor their atmosphere is sucked out into space.

Usually they hand wave this with the blue magic atmospheric force field thingy - like they use on hangers - they just didnt seem to bother putting the effort in with rendering here though for some reason. I found it odd.
    In a similar vein, the cannons on the star destroyer irked me. They have classically had turbolasers but now suddenly have navel style cannons with laser bolts that arc through space. It wasnt a bit annoyance when I watched the movie but when I think back it did seem slightly off.

The whole thing made no sense, just launch all the tie fighters and ram the bloody engines, they must have had a few thousand in that fleet.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post

In a similar vein, the cannons on the star destroyer irked me. They have classically had turbolasers but now suddenly have navel style cannons with laser bolts that arc through space. It wasnt a bit annoyance when I watched the movie but when I think back it did seem slightly off.
    That bothered me in 7 too.

Iirc at some point early on one guy is like "charge the autocannon". Which is twice dumb because everyone knows those are close range only, and the Empire is clearly Amarr. Took me right out of the movie.

Yes the bomb bay doors thing was extremely retarded, and the way they were flying those things they should have just kamikaze'd them. Plucky little ISIS rebels that they are. Tbh all those nitpicky things arent disastrous on their own, but (as i think ive said before) its unnecessarily lazy.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; December 29 2017 at 11:36:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldiablo View Post
    The whole thing made no sense, just launch all the tie fighters and ram the bloody engines, they must have had a few thousand in that fleet.
    Or hyperspace ram the whole thing into dust.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post

Yeah when Kylos buddies shot the bridge of the ship it made sense that the shields on the cruiser only repelled energy weapons and fighters could pass through the shields. Similar to SG1 when O'Neill threw a knife through a personal shield that could repel bullets. So the First Order should just have launched 500 fighters and ripped the ship a new one from up close

Instead we got a 'Kylo come back we can't cover you from here'
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post

Yeah when Kylos buddies shot the bridge of the ship it made sense that the shields on the cruiser only repelled energy weapons and fighters could pass through the shields. Similar to SG1 when O'Neill threw a knife through a personal shield that could repel bullets. So the First Order should just have launched 500 fighters and ripped the ship a new one from up close

Snoke "launch all our fighters to run them down"
    Officer "but sir they are out of our range we can't cover them"
    Snoke "Did i fucking stutter?"

I wonder how they were covering him while he was inside the enemy hangar blowing shit up. Maybe its figurative cover, like "we cant cover for you, the boss is starting to ask questions.".

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

I wonder how they were covering him while he was inside the enemy hangar blowing shit up. Maybe its figurative cover, like "we cant cover for you, the boss is starting to ask questions.".
    considering he is covered in plot armour it matters not
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

The bombers didn't bother me, Star Wars has never given a fuck about gravity. Walking around inside an asteroid worm wearing a basic oxygen mask?

Kylo vs Vader

Ignoring the prequels... Vader is a force of death, destruction and fear. He doesn't hesitate. He doesn't take shit from anyone. He treats the Emperor like a great warrior/general would treat a revered religious figure. Kylo starts off seeming like Vader, but we quickly see he is full of doubt, fear and rage. At the end of TLJ Kylo is still raging and afraid. He's crying and begging everyone to shoot at Luke. At the end of ESB Vader is telling Luke "Join me or Die." Hell Vader didn't deviate from being an evil bastard until he picked up Palapatine to throw him down the giant electric trash chute.

Watched it yesterday. Fucking hell that was bad. Competent-bad. As in it looked and sounded pretty (its no zack sneider blockbuster, that's for sure) while being insultingly dumb and confused tonally.
    Some good points which everyone seems to agree on mainly? Adam Driver has grown into the role and gives a decent nuanced performance with what he has to go on from the script. Everyone else? Ehhhh nah not for me. Maybe Ridley gets a pass for being competent. Good point number two im struggling with. I suppose its a great visual feast and children with non developed child brains will love it for its simple time-honed message of "veganism is the one true path to being the best jedi pokemon master in all the galaxy"

- Leia surviving in space and floating like an angel back to the ship.
    I am not sure why this isn't getting more attention from the fans honestly. I agree with most other criticisms of the film but i 'could' ignore it and suspend disbelief... but that supermaning back into the ship alive somehow, and then opening an inner door that didn't decompress the whole corridor really did piss me off. Utter retardation.
    Maybe it used the same tech as the bomber bomb bay doors at the start... you know on the bombers.. that drop bombs using gravity... in space... that have a bomb bay with a ladder, but can contain an atmosphere.

Remember that bit?

After I saw that bit in the cinema my head was filled with Irish submarine jokes for some reason.
    mag-con fields are known tech in Star Wars.

How the fuck do you think the Empire keeps the atmosphere in its Star Destroyers, you know the ships with a massive always-open hangar bay on the keel?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

How the fuck has none of you guys bitched about the ballistic arcs of the turbolaser shots fired at the fleeing resistance?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

That really annoyed me in the last movie as well, the "let's shoot down the tie-fighters with some odd kinda missile things instead of these stupid fast guns we used to have shitloads of"
    I understand that it's to give it a more exiting spin, the whole "oo it's getting closer", but i would rather have seen them flying through a hail of instant-death light-bursts like they used to :<

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    How the fuck has none of you guys bitched about the ballistic arcs of the turbolaser shots fired at the fleeing resistance?

Tapapapatalk
    Yeah, apparently they use cannons now for some reason. Maybe taking the ship part of spaceship too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk
    There's so much stuff to sperge about... give us time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

Right. They had taken out the fighter bay, and the cruiser apparently didn't have any point defenses of its own. There wasn't anything to challenge the fighters, never mind bombers had they decided to get serious.

Edit: Also, could no one be arsed to go get a freighter and bring the fleet more fuel?
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; December 30 2017 at 11:42:42 AM.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous