hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I think the movie looks great overall and easily has some of the best cinematography of the Star Wars movies.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I think the movie looks great overall and easily has some of the best cinematography of the Star Wars movies.
    That's kinda true-ish, however you can't even begin to compare it to Blade Runner (either of them).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    That's kinda true-ish, however you can't even begin to compare it to Blade Runner (either of them).
    It was the only thing I liked about it tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    I also disliked the cinematography, but maybe that's just because I saw Blade Runner so many times and ESB has some amazing scenes. This one had like one or two okay shots.
    Seriously, don't even go there. You can't even compare them -.-
    I know, I just don't go to the cinema very often so it's what I had in my head.
    But like I hinted at, I think the Vader vs Luke scene in the carbonite chamber in Cloud City is by far the best shot in all of Star Wars, and this being the middle chapter I was hoping for something like that.

Comparing it to TFA though, I think TFA looks a lot better, especially on Jakku. The scenes with Rey scavenging are very well staged, I love the shots of the large vistas. The chase scene with the Falcon is way, way easier to read than the one in TLJ. Not only was the chase scene at the end of TLJ devoid of any tension, it's really hard to read not only because of how it was shot, but because of the environments were designed. The problem, I think, is that the movie doesn't commit to anything (except for the scene in Snoke's chamber) and never makes me feel invested. Maybe it's not any different from the other movies Disney makes, with a joke every five minutes so things don't get too serious, but I wouldn't know.

Just saw it and it wasnt that bad, felt like a good movie after the force awakens.
    Felt like they tried to explaon more about the different philosphies between the rebels and the empire.

And the stuff going on after snoke got killed with the rift within the first order started to make things even more intresting. Cant wait to see if there will be a mutiny within the order against kylo ren.

The rebels felt like they got their asses handed to them even more than in any of the previous movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    To be fair, what did we know about the Emperor before the prequel trilogy? He's a mysterious bad melted dude who wants to turn Luke Skywalker. That's it.
    The Emperor survived in Empire though and was part of Anakin Skywalker's story, that and being the first trilogy means it doesn't need to explain too much but then we get the backstory from the admittedly poor prequels as well
    as the first trilogy. Snoke needed to survive because the canon is already established and would build on it. The way he died isn't the problem it is the fact he died at all. People are already immersed into the Star Wars Universe and this
    just breaks the spell if we don't find out what he is. It just adds confusion, we know the rebels won but how did they lose? The original trilogy didn't have this problem because the trilogy was the 'once upon a time' in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    What's wrong with a space diner? People still need to eat in the future...
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    What's wrong with a space diner? People still need to eat in the past...
    fyp

I sometimes defend the prequels for ideas that had potential but were realised poorly but the space diner was mega stupid

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    What's wrong with a space diner? People still need to eat in the past...
    fyp
    You are technically correct. The best kind of correct!
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

The ideas being put forth in the movie are great. I don't mind the whole Luke losing his way thing. I'm ok with Snoke dying instead of being Emperor v2.0. Kylo isn't a Vader, he's an angry, lost man with super powers. Rey isn't a lost farm boy chasing dreams like Luke. All of this is new and refreshing.

But the jokes. The jokes are so fucking bad. Every character in this movie made a joke at some point. And almost all of them fell flat. I was almost completely pulled out of the movie a few times:

- The opening sequence between Hux and Poe. Like, wtf. A humorous tone to start the movie and then I'm supposed to quickly start caring about the Resistance dudes getting massacred?
    - Leia surviving in space and floating like an angel back to the ship.
    - Rey asking Kylo to put his shirt on.

Just dumb shit that completely undercut the mood of what was transpiring on screen.

Star Wars fans also liked Spaceballs didnt they! and those quippy marvel films are doing REALLY well arent they?

Lets do some of that in the new film too!

What could possiblie go wrong?

Wonder was it Disney or Rian's decision to write the quips in? I assume Disney since it has "worked so well" in all their other movies.

I liked Luke's humour, but the rest was pretty painful. I think Poe & Hux was the worst of it for me.

Looking forward to perhaps seeing some sort of credible professional first order leader/commander.

Someone like General Veers in ESB. There was a guy who made you believe that the Empire is actually able get shit done, and isn't just a collection of incompetent idiots.

Slapstick Hux can do one. Promote Captain Vyvyian!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    I am not sure why this isn't getting more attention from the fans honestly. I agree with most other criticisms of the film but i 'could' ignore it and suspend disbelief... but that supermaning back into the ship alive somehow, and then opening an inner door that didn't decompress the whole corridor really did piss me off. Utter retardation.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    I am not sure why this isn't getting more attention from the fans honestly. I agree with most other criticisms of the film but i 'could' ignore it and suspend disbelief... but that supermaning back into the ship alive somehow, and then opening an inner door that didn't decompress the whole corridor really did piss me off. Utter retardation.
    Maybe it used the same tech as the bomber bomb bay doors at the start... you know on the bombers.. that drop bombs using gravity... in space... that have a bomb bay with a ladder, but can contain an atmosphere.

Remember that bit?

After I saw that bit in the cinema my head was filled with Irish submarine jokes for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Maybe it used the same tech as the bomber bomb bay doors at the start... you know on the bombers.. that drop bombs using gravity... in space... that have a bomb bay with a ladder, but can contain an atmosphere.

Remember that bit?

After I saw that bit in the cinema my head was filled with Irish submarine jokes for some reason.
    You know those bombers are an easy target, but some hand-wavium to explain them is rather easy. Hell, they could be magnetic, and simply "fall" in the direction of the largest metal ship around.

Clearly they were going for the "B-17's over Germany" type vibe, like so many other Star Wars stuff was really just WWII in Space.