hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 172425262728 LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 541

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

  1. #521
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    6,713

  2. #522
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,337
    finally we know what's wrong with star wars

    http://variety.com/2018/film/columns...rs-1202689891/

  3. #523
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,217
    As the creators of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” start to close out the ongoing story in the world of Westeros, it’s been revealed that their next project will take them to a galaxy far, far away. Lucasfilm announced Tuesday that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will write and produce a new series of films set in the “Star Wars” universe.

    Despite the public announcement, the plot of the duo’s upcoming film series is not clear. What is known is that they will be separate from the ongoing Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rain Johnson, who wrote and directed the most recent film, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”
    This message is hidden because Don Rumata is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Isyel is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because XenosisMk4 is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Malcanis is on your ignore list.


  4. #524
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    finally we know what's wrong with star wars

    http://variety.com/2018/film/columns...rs-1202689891/
    All the directors are white men ...except most of them are jewish ergo only white when its useful.

  5. #525
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,538
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    finally we know what's wrong with star wars

    http://variety.com/2018/film/columns...rs-1202689891/
    All the directors are white men ...except most of them are jewish ergo only white when its useful.
    Israel for the Israelis.

    Other countries for everyone.

  6. #526
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,337
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    finally we know what's wrong with star wars

    http://variety.com/2018/film/columns...rs-1202689891/
    All the directors are white men ...except most of them are jewish ergo only white when its useful.
    i.e. always

    unless you are in the middle of an angry sjw parade but then you just pretend to be one of them

  7. #527

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    9,720
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    finally we know what's wrong with star wars

    http://variety.com/2018/film/columns...rs-1202689891/
    All the directors are white men ...except most of them are jewish ergo only white when its useful.
    i.e. always

    unless you are in the middle of an angry sjw parade but then you just pretend to be one of them
    Man all those angry sjw parades infringing on them white men's rights to be better than everyone else.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  8. #528
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    finally we know what's wrong with star wars

    http://variety.com/2018/film/columns...rs-1202689891/
    All the directors are white men ...except most of them are jewish ergo only white when its useful.
    i.e. always

    unless you are in the middle of an angry sjw parade but then you just pretend to be one of them
    Man all those angry sjw parades infringing on them white men's rights to be better than everyone else.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    i sexually, physically and religiously identify as a block of Red Leicester cheese so im not welcome at their get togethers.

  9. #529
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Someday I suppose they'll just admit that The Last Jedi was simply a bad movie. All the hurfing and BS cannot explain away the failure in China, nor the fact that Disney has missed out on around $250 million and counting.

  10. #530

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    5,918
    The failure in China can be explained by there not having been 40 years & multiple generations growing up thinking Star Wars is the greatest thing ever. It's just another film over there - one that assumes you already know & care about what's going on.

  11. #531
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Box Office in China.

    The Force awakens - 124 million

    Rogue One - 69 million

    The Last Jedi - may reach 50 million

    Note that Valerian did better in China and it was another franchise that had no existing fan base in china either.

    China is now the second largest movie market and the money men at Disney will have noted this.

  12. #532
    Ski Boot Fortior's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,519
    I thought the whole point of the Star Wars franchise is to license and sell toys? The movie revenue (however indicative it is of the brand) is just icing on the cake.
    Real men pvp in barges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

  13. #533

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    I thought the whole point of the Star Wars franchise is to license and sell toys? The movie revenue (however indicative it is of the brand) is just icing on the cake.
    By all accounts the toys aren't selling that well. What happens when you target manchildren rather than actual children, I suppose.

  14. #534
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    I don't buy into any of this culture war bullshit when it comes to movies. I enjoyed The Force Awakened and actually liked Rogue One. I paid $5 to see The Last Jedi and felt cheated, it was just a terrible movie from my POV.

    In fact 2017 was a bad year for Star Wars. Not only has The Last Jedi fallen at least a quarter of a billion under expectations, but Battlefront 2 also failed to sell the expected number of units (on top of loot crate gate), and if anecdotes are to be believed the tie-in toys sold badly over Christmas.

    So that isn't just Disney losing expected money, it's also Hasbro and EA. Disney expected to milk the fuck out of the Star Wars franchise but if they face a similar % drop-off from episodes VII to VIII for VIII to IX then they'll only break even on a massive investment.

    All they need to do is make the next movies better, not make excuses.

  15. #535

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    9,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I don't buy into any of this culture war bullshit when it comes to movies. I enjoyed The Force Awakened and actually liked Rogue One. I paid $5 to see The Last Jedi and felt cheated, it was just a terrible movie from my POV.

    In fact 2017 was a bad year for Star Wars. Not only has The Last Jedi fallen at least a quarter of a billion under expectations, but Battlefront 2 also failed to sell the expected number of units (on top of loot crate gate), and if anecdotes are to be believed the tie-in toys sold badly over Christmas.

    So that isn't just Disney losing expected money, it's also Hasbro and EA. Disney expected to milk the fuck out of the Star Wars franchise but if they face a similar % drop-off from episodes VII to VIII for VIII to IX then they'll only break even on a massive investment.

    All they need to do is make the next movies better, not make excuses.
    Imo there are just too many in too short a time so hype doesn't quite build itself up back as much more than anything. Being in effect one continuous story removes some of the random popcorn appeal comic book movie shite has imo for the casual viewer.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  16. #536
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Yeh, I agree with that. From memory the spacing of the Lucas movies was something like three years apart, but Disney is releasing a movie every year.

    I can only assume that having spent $4 billion on Lucas Arts they are in a hurry to make their money back.

    The Force Awakens wasn't perfect but the script - even being a kind-of copy of A New Hope - gave the impression that people had been working on it for sometime. The Last Jedi felt like they held a brainstorming session where people were coming up with crap like Leia flying through space, and then they just made the script out of the notes. Plus there was this undertone of contempt for the IP (or so I felt watching it), like turning Luke into an arsehole.

    The only thing that matters in Hollywood is money. The estimates are that a Disney Star Wars film needs to make around $800 million to break even. That's a lot of money, and Disney investors aren't going buy the excuses peddled in the media if Disney doesn't rake in the cash.

  17. #537
    Crystalline Entity's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Yeh, I agree with that. From memory the spacing of the Lucas movies was something like three years apart, but Disney is releasing a movie every year.

    I can only assume that having spent $4 billion on Lucas Arts they are in a hurry to make their money back.

    The Force Awakens wasn't perfect but the script - even being a kind-of copy of A New Hope - gave the impression that people had been working on it for sometime. The Last Jedi felt like they held a brainstorming session where people were coming up with crap like Leia flying through space, and then they just made the script out of the notes. Plus there was this undertone of contempt for the IP (or so I felt watching it), like turning Luke into an arsehole.

    The only thing that matters in Hollywood is money. The estimates are that a Disney Star Wars film needs to make around $800 million to break even. That's a lot of money, and Disney investors aren't going buy the excuses peddled in the media if Disney doesn't rake in the cash.
    You are slowly becoming one of my more liked FHCers.

    [N.B: This may be a curse rather than a blessing]
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

    Smuggo - Brexit Thread

  18. #538
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,337
    Nah he's totes on point.

  19. #539
    Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke England
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Yeh, I agree with that. From memory the spacing of the Lucas movies was something like three years apart, but Disney is releasing a movie every year.

    I can only assume that having spent $4 billion on Lucas Arts they are in a hurry to make their money back.

    The Force Awakens wasn't perfect but the script - even being a kind-of copy of A New Hope - gave the impression that people had been working on it for sometime. The Last Jedi felt like they held a brainstorming session where people were coming up with crap like Leia flying through space, and then they just made the script out of the notes. Plus there was this undertone of contempt for the IP (or so I felt watching it), like turning Luke into an arsehole.

    The only thing that matters in Hollywood is money. The estimates are that a Disney Star Wars film needs to make around $800 million to break even. That's a lot of money, and Disney investors aren't going buy the excuses peddled in the media if Disney doesn't rake in the cash.
    i'm defo picking up on hostility towards the existing fanbase from both disney/Lucas arts and some other fans.
    For a franchise that is based on its huge expanded market making fun of the 40+ year old guys who have large amounts of disposible income who will buy all your action figures etc is probably not a smart move imo.

  20. #540

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    5,918
    Thing is that while Star Wars underperforming might not be good news for the executives in charge of managing it, it hasn't done the company itself much harm. Disney haven't been a media company for the last 20 years or so. They're an investment firm that specialises in media companies. & if the Fox acquisition goes ahead without issue, it won't really matter if one media franchise underperforms, because they'll own almost all of them, along with the main way they're distributed digitally. As eager as I'm sure they are to see that $4 billion made back quickly, I think it's fair to say they bought it not because they had grand plans for the franchise but simply to stop a competitor who might have from getting it. We're long past the point where the decision makers at the top of the company had any real investment in the actual IP, or the "art" of animation & filmmaking. They're just a bunch of professional executives for whom making & selling films is no different from bread. & they're pretty good at it, for better & worse.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •