hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 541

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

  1. #181
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post
    I have a mixed feeling about this one.

    Some bits were amazing, some were just incredibly stupid and immersion breaking.
    This.

  2. #182
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,148
    I think the only solid opinion I have is that it was NOT a 'safe' Star Wars film.

      Spoiler:

    -The pacing was awful. Like, atrocious. It did not need to be a three hour film and I'm amazed that nobody noticed.

    -I get it, film makers. Marvel does quips. You like quips. I like quips too, in Marvel films. Not every film needs every character to have quips. When it was just Poe Dameron it worked, you can't start giving your antagonist quips ffs.

    -The Finn and Rose storyline was a complete waste of screen time. It's nice that they did a "the heroes are off to save the day but actually they fucked it up more or less completely" thing but it did not need half as much screen time as it got.

    -New Luke is awesome. Really, really big fan of New Luke. A conflicted character who failed in his own way and compounds the failure by running away. He thinks he's found the solution, which is to let the Jedi die, because without Jedi there is no Sith. It's an interesting plotline that's been explored in the EU before and I like it a hell of a lot.

    -I don't like the way Snoke went out but I like that he went out. All along Kylo has been portrayed as a bit of a bitch, turns out he had a plan from day one. Killing his own father just to allay the suspicions of Snoke, just to give him cover to remain in the 'simpering apprentice' role. A shame Snoke died like an utter bitch, though. Can't wait for him to have clones because you just know he does.

    -On the subject of Kylo, huge fan of his characterisation and really liking Adam Driver's acting of it. He's trying so desperately to live up to the legacy of Vader because he thought he'd never live up to the legacy of Luke and he needed to be seen as a hero. When he realised he didn't need to do either, he could create his own legacy, I like that.

    -Not a fan of the usage of General Hux. He's just become the butt of everyone's jokes.

    -Why exactly did the Vice Admiral resolutely refuse to explain her plan to Poe? He was set up in the first film as this hero of the resistance, but in this one they seem to treat him like an overindulged child who needs to be brought down a peg or two. The whole fucking bullshit with the mutiny could have been avoided if she explained the plan.

    -Why does JJ Abrams hate Brienne of Tarth?

    -Apparently the whole galaxy just doesn't care that the First Order destroyed five planets in the first film, and nobody wants to stand up to them and say "hey gang, kind of a dick move"? Not buying that.

    -Stop trying to make BB-8 the hero. Just stop it.

    I don't know. As it reached the end of the first act I was absolutely convinced I was going to hate everything about it, because I hated almost everything about the first act aside from Luke throwing the lightsaber away, but it started to win me back with the Ren/Rey scenes and the Luke scenes, and the third act was brilliant. As I said, a safe Star Wars film it definitely is not, because it turns a lot of the universe on its head. Yes, it thematically borrows from the original trilogy, but I'm not precious about that; all the films should be thematically borrowing from each other, that's the point of creating a universe.

    For what it's worth, the friend I was with who is almost as big a Star Wars nerd as me absolutely hated every second of it to the point that he's refused to see it again with the friends he was originally supposed to be with.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  3. #183

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    3,407


    Hopefully the kids get a day off of school for The Last Jedi premier.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    December 15, 2012
    Posts
    381
    I came out of the cinema feeling a little disappointed, bewildered, and in total disbelief at certain parts of this film...

    where to start?
      Spoiler:

    SNOKE: the fuck is going on here, I know this is Star Wars and there's the whole apprentice eventually kills the master thing but this was so badly done! Rey manages to overpower Kylo with her untrained force powers, but suddenly Kylo does THAT to Snoke? is this a joke?

    LEIA IN SPACE: ok this was bullshit, you freeze and die in seconds in space, I don't buy this part force user or not... if they showed some technology that saved her, it would have been 100x more believable

    LIGHT SPEED BIT: ok this was brilliant, especially the lighting/editing, probably saved the film from being a total disaster and like several others sitting around me, jaws were dropped and people literally sat up in amazement at the awesomeness

    LUKE GOING EVIL: doing this to a dangerous student sure, doing this to your own nephew no... and explaining the whole Luke/Kylo hatred using this meagre bit of "self-doubt leading to a misunderstanding"... just so bad

    DROIDS: every action/comedy scene was stolen by a droid, oh hey kids rush out and buy your very own droid toy so we can make trillions from these movies and give the finger to the movie fans who've waited years

    THAT KISS: fuck off, no really get that shit out of the movie! this was so amazingly awkward there was a huge collective sigh of disgust/bemusement from the entire cinema when it landed...

    YODA: I was expecting some Obi Wan moment to explain Rey or even just to get the voice back into the movies but damn this scene was a Tardis moment right back to my childhood watching the Dagobah scenes in Empire

    LUKE VS KYLO: yeah this was kinda obvious after 50 laser cannons don't even scratch Luke, but at the end when you see he's still on the island, that is true jedi master awesomeness, worthy of yoda

    LUKE AT THE END : what in the everlasting fuck was that

    considering the only good bits were the CGI-heavy parts, god save us if Rian Johnson is doing Episode 10-12, shitshow incoming if this is his interpretation of Star Wars
    Last edited by cullnean; December 15 2017 at 09:54:14 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

  5. #185
    Shaftoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ships
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    I came out of the cinema feeling a little disappointed, bewildered, and in total disbelief at certain parts of this film...

    where to start?

      Spoiler:
    SNOKE: the fuck is going on here, I know this is Star Wars and there's the whole apprentice eventually kills the master thing but this was so badly done! Rey manages to overpower Kylo with her untrained force powers, but suddenly Kylo does THAT to Snoke? is this a joke?

    LEIA IN SPACE: ok this was bullshit, you freeze and die in seconds in space, I don't buy this part force user or not... if they showed some technology that saved her, it would have been 100x more believable

    LIGHT SPEED BIT: ok this was brilliant, especially the lighting/editing, probably saved the film from being a total disaster and like several others sitting around me, jaws were dropped and people literally sat up in amazement at the awesomeness

    LUKE GOING EVIL: doing this to a dangerous student sure, doing this to your own nephew no... and explaining the whole Luke/Kylo hatred using this meagre bit of "self-doubt leading to a misunderstanding"... just so bad

    DROIDS: every action/comedy scene was stolen by a droid, oh hey kids rush out and buy your very own droid toy so we can make trillions from these movies and give the finger to the movie fans who've waited years

    THAT KISS: fuck off, no really get that shit out of the movie! this was so amazingly awkward there was a huge collective sigh of disgust/bemusement from the entire cinema when it landed...

    YODA: I was expecting some Obi Wan moment to explain Rey or even just to get the voice back into the movies but damn this scene was a Tardis moment right back to my childhood watching the Dagobah scenes in Empire

    LUKE VS KYLO: yeah this was kinda obvious after 50 laser cannons don't even scratch Luke, but at the end when you see he's still on the island, that is true jedi master awesomeness, worthy of yoda

    LUKE AT THE END : what in the everlasting fuck was that

    considering the only good bits were the CGI-heavy parts, god save us if Rian Johnson is doing Episode 10-12, shitshow incoming if this is his interpretation of Star Wars


    Spoiler tags mate

    Its only the day after the film is out

  6. #186
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,449
    I think there are certain things I didn't like (eg bits that were hard to suspend disbelief) but the the bits I did like I liked so much more than any other star wars film. I also liked the craziness of the edit, the character development and fights, both in space and in with the lightsabers.

    I would have done it differently though.

      Spoiler:
    I would have had luke turn into a force ghost before the bit on Krait.

    Leia would have died doing the hyperspace kamikaze, holdo would have lived on for ep 9

    They should have explained why they could hyperspace sabuku today, and not the other dozen or so previous battles or even the other ships that blew up for no useful gain.

    I would have made phasma's demise more ambiguous.

    BB8 riding the AT-AT was one of the worst things in the whole movie. Just delete that pls.


  7. #187
    Movember 2012 I Legionnaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,666
      Spoiler:
    I hated it, about 15mins considered getting up and going home. They really didn't feel the need to fill us in on who the fuck Snoke is? There's this powerful dark force user (not a sith right???) who can bridge people's minds across a galaxy but somehow the emperor and Vader didn't know about him?

    What's up with the Power Ranger imperial guard? A light-saber whip? Really?
    Leia can all of a sudden move herself through space with the force?


    I don't understand how they managed to fuck this up so hard after the last two movies were so good.
    Last edited by I Legionnaire; December 15 2017 at 09:40:20 PM.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,800
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    I hated it, about 15mins considered getting up and going home. They really didn't feel the need to fill us in on who the fuck Snoke is? There's this powerful dark force user (not a sith right???) who can bridge people's minds across a galaxy but somehow the emperor and Vader didn't know about him?

    What's up with the Power Ranger imperial guard? A light-saber whip? Really?
    Leia can all of a sudden move herself through space with the force?


    I don't understand how they managed to fuck this up so hard after the last two movies were so good.
    There were many problems with the movie, but some of your complaints seem a bit dumb.

    Did you forget about the 30 year gap in the movies? Why exactly would vader/emps know about a darkside user that became powerful at least 15-20 years after they died?

    You have no issue with force users being able to enhance the height of their jumps inside a gravity field, but you take issue with one being able to apply a bit of motive force to themselves in zero g?

  9. #189
    Movember 2012 I Legionnaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,666
      Spoiler:
    Snoke looks like he's at least Luke/Leia's age, just a little explanation as to how he went from unnoticeable to in charge of the Empire would be nice. Leia hasn't shown any force powers in previous movies, yet she's able to pull herself to an airlock after being blasted into space... that's a bit much.
    Last edited by I Legionnaire; December 15 2017 at 09:40:33 PM.

  10. #190
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,777
    Legitimate concerns really.

  11. #191
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
      Spoiler:
    Snoke looks like he's at least Luke/Leia's age, just a little explanation as to how he went from unnoticeable to in charge of the Empire would be nice. Leia hasn't shown any force powers in previous movies, yet she's able to pull herself to an airlock after being blasted into space... that's a bit much.
      Spoiler:
    Leia is a skywalker and the benefits of that bloodline. She's also communicated with Luke in Empire via the force (mostly from Lukes side but still). The time jump should have given her plenty of time to become more trained in the force.

  12. #192
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    13,505
    Saw it today.

    God your tears guys, they are awesome.*

      Spoiler:

    *You sound like my students when I tell them that yes, they do have to take that test today and not next week or never.
    nevar forget

  13. #193

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    5,999
    Snoke exists because general audience member A knows that Star Wars is about plucky rebels fighting the evil space fascists who are led by a weird looking, leathery monster man. That being the case, the writers figured he'd make a good evil step-dad for Kyle - who is the important one. Who he is beyond that doesn't really matter.

  14. #194
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Who he is beyond that doesn't really matter.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

  15. #195
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,879
    First movie where i stood up to leave because its just so fucking bad. Amazing scenes.


    

  16. #196
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,927
    Really? Out of all the films in all the theaters in all your experience on this earth, what broke you was Episode 8? What the fuck else do you people watch, only Top 5 Oscar Contenders?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  17. #197
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Really? Out of all the films in all the theaters in all your experience on this earth, what broke you was Episode 8? What the fuck else do you people watch, only Top 5 Oscar Contenders?
    I have to agree with this, it isn't that bad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  18. #198

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Really? Out of all the films in all the theaters in all your experience on this earth, what broke you was Episode 8? What the fuck else do you people watch, only Top 5 Oscar Contenders?
    I suspect they have a very shit taste in regular movies anyway but decided to make a stand here because it's cool. Or something.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  19. #199

    Join Date
    October 30, 2017
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Really? Out of all the films in all the theaters in all your experience on this earth, what broke you was Episode 8? What the fuck else do you people watch, only Top 5 Oscar Contenders?
    Fans of sci-fi franchises like to really rage about things for unknown reasons. See Star Trek Discovery for further examples.

  20. #200
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    28,777
    Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Really? Out of all the films in all the theaters in all your experience on this earth, what broke you was Episode 8? What the fuck else do you people watch, only Top 5 Oscar Contenders?
    Fans of sci-fi franchises like to really rage about things for unknown reasons. See Star Trek Discovery for further examples.
    >star wars
    >star trek
    >sci-fi

    There is fiction and then there is straight up fantasy.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •