hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Tablet advice?

Tablet advice?

I'm thinking about getting a tablet, primarily for school work. Here's the things I'd like...

Budget is <$600
    8ish inch screen
    1080p
    Windows 10
    A couple usb A ports
    Usb c for charging would be cool
    Decent performance (I doubt I'll be gaming on it ever)
    Expandable memory
    Good battery life

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Well, I've decided to go a different direction. A Windows tablet is just out of the budget for now.

So instead, I think I'm going to build a Pi tablet and use a battery backup to make it mobile. I have a 20Ah Anker backup and a 15 watt Anker solar panel to go with it when I travel, its a bit overkill so I might look into using a smaller, lighter, flatter backup. I already have a few high speed micro SD cards laying around so I'm set there.

Anyway, here's the parts I'm planning on ordering for the curious:
    Touch Screen
    Pi 3
    Case to make it a tablet

If I really want high quality I'll use a separate monitor with the HDMI port. Nothing beats the value, versatility, and connect-ability of the Pi tbh.
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

I expect you are looking for somthing from a reputable manufacturer but have you considered some of the chinese windows tablets? all the features not a bad CPU and you could buy 2 for your budget.

aliexpress chuwi Hi10 Pro wni10 4GB 10.1"

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Why would you get a windows 10 tablet for $600 when you could buy a Nexus 10?

There are some Microsoft Surface tablets at slightly varying prices and just under $600 like http://amzn.to/2o2JDqg and http://amzn.to/2n532az . Perhaps the Lenovo Ideapad? http://amzn.to/2o2JF19
    Last edited by Jolin; April 3 2017 at 06:57:16 PM.

As someone with a device with USB C, it sucks so bad for charging, there is no gripping function. I hate it (I have nexus 5X, so it might be related to nexus 5X)

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    As someone with a device with USB C, it sucks so bad for charging, there is no gripping function. I hate it (I have nexus 5X, so it might be related to nexus 5X)
    Gripping function? As in hard to jank out by accident? Then I'd say USB C has it or at least thats the feeling i get on my N5X. I hate the USB C standard tho. Really fucking annoying since its a fucking pita to carry cables around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post

There are some Microsoft Surface tablets at slightly varying prices and just under $600 like http://amzn.to/2o2JDqg and http://amzn.to/2n532az . Perhaps the Lenovo Ideapad? http://amzn.to/2o2JF19
    Only problem with the Nexus 10 is that a lot of school stuff requires flash, and it runs Android 4.2. Puffin browser is the only way I know how to get flash on Android and it requires 4.4+
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Update. So I was expecting to have to pay almost all my remaining money in taxes this year, but it turns out I'm actually getting a refund. This means I have room in my budget for a ~$1500 tablet. I've researched them a little bit and so far an i5 Surface Pro and the new Galaxy Book are the top competitors.

I have a couple questions though:
    When does the Surface Pro 5 get released? Supposedly it was slated for April?
    Does the Surface Pro 4 use a proprietary charging port?
    What ports does the Galaxy Book have?

Any other suggestions are welcome. My new criteria are:
    -12'' screen
    -Pen
    -Keyboard

Cheers
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Surface devices since the 3 all use the same charger port (maybe 2 as well but I don't have mine any more to check).

I'd definitely suggest the surface pro 4, it's a really solid device. The pen is good, the keyboard is a lot better than the pro 3 keyboard. The pro 5 is reportedly barely an upgrade so I wouldn't bother with that much unless you really want it (or want the pro 4 price to drop off more than it already has).

You might be able to get a reasonable quality one from. Ebay for a good price if you look around, I got a pro 3 with keyboard for about 500 a year or so ago.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    uwot m8?

It's no harder to pull out than a USB A cable, and miles easier to insert

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post

Only problem with the Nexus 10 is that a lot of school stuff requires flash, and it runs Android 4.2. Puffin browser is the only way I know how to get flash on Android and it requires 4.4+
    Dolphin browser and Flashfox both support flash, afaik

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Surface devices since the 3 all use the same charger port (maybe 2 as well but I don't have mine any more to check).

I'd definitely suggest the surface pro 4, it's a really solid device. The pen is good, the keyboard is a lot better than the pro 3 keyboard. The pro 5 is reportedly barely an upgrade so I wouldn't bother with that much unless you really want it (or want the pro 4 price to drop off more than it already has).

You might be able to get a reasonable quality one from. Ebay for a good price if you look around, I got a pro 3 with keyboard for about 500 a year or so ago.
    Do you think the pro 4s are likely to drop much more? I'd go for the step or two above base (i5, 8gb of ram, 256gb iirc) which goes for $950 on Amazon
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post

Do you think the pro 4s are likely to drop much more? I'd go for the step or two above base (i5, 8gb of ram, 256gb iirc) which goes for $950 on Amazon
    Probably not a lot, maybe another $100 or so. If that's $950 with keyboard then I'd take that.

What about the i5 version with 4gb ram, 128gb ssd with type cover for $850?

I guess the real question is, is 4gb enough?

Ehhhh I think the 8gb is worth the extra
    Last edited by OrangeAfroMan; April 24 2017 at 03:03:27 AM.
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Okay I'm doubting myself again. The Samsung Galaxy Book has 4gb of RAM with the i5 as well... is 4gb enough?

I likely won't do any heavy lifting with it, not even really gaming. School stuff, maybe some work in OnShape
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Okay I'm doubting myself again. The Samsung Galaxy Book has 4gb of RAM with the i5 as well... is 4gb enough?

I likely won't do any heavy lifting with it, not even really gaming. School stuff, maybe some work in OnShape
    It's enough until you try to keep more than three tabs open in Chrome ~ but it'll run Office and that jazz just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Probably best to add what you go to school for, if you do a lot of artsy stuff for example a ultrabook + a drawing tablet (something like https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490D...optenselect-20 or so for a cheap one or just go upwards) would probably serve you better and overall cost less.

Ive found that its almost impossible to take notes/write stuff on a tablet, even with a keyboard etc. You are just better of with a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

I've held off so far on buying one. Galaxy book is available today. The way I see it:
    Pros
    Light, thin, sexy.
    Keyboard/cover stand looks more stable
    Amazing screen
    Usb c
    NFC I think, maybe can use Android beam? Works directly with my Samsung phone

Cons
    Expensive, only the top model offers 8gb of ram (wtf)
    Only one usb port and it is usb c

Thoughts? Microsoft is supposed to announce the surface pro 5 on Tuesday so I'll see what that looks like
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Probably best to add what you go to school for, if you do a lot of artsy stuff for example a ultrabook + a drawing tablet (something like https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490D...optenselect-20 or so for a cheap one or just go upwards) would probably serve you better and overall cost less.

Ive found that its almost impossible to take notes/write stuff on a tablet, even with a keyboard etc. You are just better of with a laptop.
    My laptop is just too big and heavy to be portable. Plus I want something that I can keep in my car when I'm driving (I drive for Lyft/Uber for money), that I can just tuck away at a moment's notice with good battery life etc. A LOT of my classes involve literally hundreds of Power Point slides, so I want something that I can study those and fill in blanks and such while in class (hand writing with the pen to fill the blank would be ideal so I don't have to dick with a keyboard, using it specifically as a tablet). So that's why I'm drawn to these.
    Actually an '06.

www.twitch.tv/oameve

I think the only tablets with proper pen input are the Apple Pro ones with the Apple stylus accessory and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

And damn am I tempted by the S3.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

My wife has an ipad pro, 12.7" and i hate to admit it, but it is amazing! The sound quality is fantastic, it can honestly fill a room. Also the screen is great plus the apple stuff is very well developed and works right out the gate.

I'm not an apple fanboy, but the thing is pretty impressive. The battery lasts ages, she uses it constantly.