hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First laptop thread of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Having a look at the 13 inch laptops my housemates have I think it may be a bit small for what I want #sizequeen

I think ideally I'd want at least 15 inches
    14 inch is still ok but if you want 15, you are deep in huge laptop territory. I mean literally barely portable anymore. If you want more size at home, get a nice 24-27'' Dell ultrasharp and hook it to the laptop. If you want more size at work, do the same.
    Or get a laptop that will be heavy as a brick (in comparison) and no fun to move around in a shoulder / messenger bag. I get it, size > all but you can achieve it with an external monitor easily. Now if you need a workstation monster, get a thinkpad from the older series (W520/540) and see your life slowly fade away while this thing still trucks.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    Having a look at the 13 inch laptops my housemates have I think it may be a bit small for what I want #sizequeen

14 inch is still ok but if you want 15, you are deep in huge laptop territory. I mean literally barely portable anymore. If you want more size at home, get a nice 24-27'' Dell ultrasharp and hook it to the laptop. If you want more size at work, do the same.
    Or get a laptop that will be heavy as a brick (in comparison) and no fun to move around in a shoulder / messenger bag. I get it, size > all but you can achieve it with an external monitor easily. Now if you need a workstation monster, get a thinkpad from the older series (W520/540) and see your life slowly fade away while this thing still trucks.
    15" is not huge unless it's one of those cheap PC models.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Ppppffftt. Carried around 3kg+ 15" workstation notebooks for years. In a decent backpack thats no issue at all.

That said, these days you get decent business notebooks in the 15" size weighing around 2kg. Afaik Dell, Hp, Lenovo have business ultrabook type notebooks thereabout. As well as the MBP. (which is good, especially if you re on the mac side of life anyway. However imo its way overprized like anything apple.)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

Soo .. size 15"+ , not too heavy, durable'ish, good battery...

Dedicated GPU necessary? Optical drive still wanted? Any special accessory or connector needed? :P
    No need for GPU, optical drive or anything. Intel's onboard graphics are fine for my usage
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Dedicated GPU necessary? Optical drive still wanted? Any special accessory or connector needed? :P
    No need for GPU, optical drive or anything. Intel's onboard graphics are fine for my usage
    2nd-cheapest XPS 15 then (getting to an i5 is worth it). It's also not crazy to check out eBay for previous gen MacBook Pro 15's, there's a reason they hold their value so well and it's not because only snobs buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Well, after going lol, get a mac, I must say that I've been test driving one of the new HP chromebooks since Friday, and I'm actually pretty damn impressed, if you can live with in the web applications. I've found it surprisingly easy. Eclipse Che is fucking magic. Aptly named.

Current no.1 contender for Knaarcorps fleet.
    meh

Ppppffftt. Carried around 3kg+ 15" workstation notebooks for years. In a decent backpack thats no issue at all.

That said, these days you get decent business notebooks in the 15" size weighing around 2kg. Afaik Dell, Hp, Lenovo have business ultrabook type notebooks thereabout. As well as the MBP. (which is good, especially if you re on the mac side of life anyway. However imo its way overprized like anything apple.)
    Yeah I get that, but I also explicitly mentioned shoulder bags. I personally dislike backpacks since they dont suit coats (and other slightly more fancy clothing) at all. And they also look nerdy. Totally comfortable tho :/

My current 14 inch 'thinkpad' (T440, not a proper workstation) is fairly light and has a compact size adapter (unlike the huge 1kg+ bricks the older W5xx thinpads had). Still gets uncomfortable on the shoulder after half an hour or more. Laptop without adapter is fine though.

This is where I draw the line personally, if a laptop is over the ultrabook size/weight, I cant carry it on the shoulder and I personally dont really find it portable. Unless he really cant hook up a monitor at home/work, I wouldn't recommend anything above 14 inch for portability (and he indicated that 15 may barely be enough).

Just my 2c
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

I already have Office business licenses for Windows, I don't know if that changes anything. Plus I use OneDrive for all my cloud storage. I imagine this makes switching to Apple a bit of a pain
    Didn't check if anyone gave a more expansive answer than the ones on page one. But this is not even remotely an issue.

OneDrive integrates just fine into mac and office comes in both flavors, my license is an education license that specifies number of installs, not what type of system.

I remember some years ago Microsoft going out of their way to point out that Apple isn't a competitor they try to shut out of their office ecosystem. It's rather the opposite, Apple was their first and biggest customer of MS Office. And Apple sells MS Office in their webstore.
    nevar forget

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I already have Office business licenses for Windows, I don't know if that changes anything. Plus I use OneDrive for all my cloud storage. I imagine this makes switching to Apple a bit of a pain
    Didn't check if anyone gave a more expansive answer than the ones on page one. But this is not even remotely an issue.

OneDrive integrates just fine into mac and office comes in both flavors, my license is an education license that specifies number of installs, not what type of system.

I remember some years ago Microsoft going out of their way to point out that Apple isn't a competitor they try to shut out of their office ecosystem. It's rather the opposite, Apple was their first and biggest customer of MS Office. And Apple sells MS Office in their webstore.
    MS is basically scared shitless of the possibility (which is inevitable btw) that their monopoly on office and business related software gets eroded. Especially now that virtual machines are so ubiquitous.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

You can alternatively get an HP Elitebook 2570p off ebay for 200 quid (top quality lappie) and stick in it a big SSD and get a dedicated monitor for when you get home, best of both worlds. Total shouldn't be more than £500.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

MS is basically scared shitless of the possibility (which is inevitable btw) that their monopoly on office and business related software gets eroded. Especially now that virtual machines are so ubiquitous.
    I note with some interest that office "optimized for chromebook" is a thing.

Are there "gaming" laptops with 1060 yet? Figure Lenovo Y720 would be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Sounds good (apart from the apparently somewhat "meh" screen):
    http://laptopmedia.com/review/lenovo...bout-features/

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    We've been using an MSI GS72VR with a 1060 as a mobile Oculus Rift station, ran it all day at a tech conference booth and never had a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post

2nd-cheapest XPS 15 then (getting to an i5 is worth it). It's also not crazy to check out eBay for previous gen MacBook Pro 15's, there's a reason they hold their value so well and it's not because only snobs buy them.
    The Dell XPS 15 or the HP Spectre x360 15". Cheaper than MBPs.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For business laptops, I still swear on the Dell Latitude series. Make sure to get the extended 3 years warranty with it (which than might be extended for another two years, so that's 5 in total). Those beasts seldom die.

I have no experience with their battery life, though. You might to look at a review or two to figure out if they fit your needs.
    +1 for Dell Latitudes and the factory outlet
    I have recently found the Dell factory outlet queue 6 7k series Lattitudes laptops purchased in 2 weeks the best we did before were the odd 5k series most being 3k. Scratched and Dented hmm where? and over 50% less than the front page "discounted" prices, now all i have to deal with is complaints about every one elses laptops being too heavy :/.

I get the gut feeling that it really should be 'the first rule of the Dell outlet store is do not talk about the Dell outlet store" i don't want all the good deals to be gone before I can get them.
    Last edited by Tailn; April 10 2017 at 02:30:50 PM.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For business laptops, I still swear on the Dell Latitude series. Make sure to get the extended 3 years warranty with it (which than might be extended for another two years, so that's 5 in total). Those beasts seldom die.

I have no experience with their battery life, though. You might to look at a review or two to figure out if they fit your needs.
    +1 for Dell Latitudes and the factory outlet
    I have recently found the Dell factory outlet queue 6 7k series Lattitudes laptops purchased in 2 weeks the best we did before were the odd 5k series most being 3k. Scratched and Dented hmm where? and over 50% less than the front page "discounted" prices, now all i have to deal with is complaints about every one elses laptops being too heavy :/.

I get the gut feeling that it really should be 'the first rule of the Dell outlet store is do not talk about the Dell outlet store" i don't want all the good deals to be gone before I can get them.
    Too bad there's no outlet in germany

Need advice:
    £500 max
    14" screen
    In white <- apparently this is important for whatever reason.
    Similar to my Lenovo Yoga 3 14" (She used it for a while, likes it, also has another lenovo so likes the keyboard)

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Need advice:
    £500 max
    14" screen
    Similar to my Lenovo Yoga 3 14" (She used it for a while, likes it, also has another lenovo so likes the keyboard)
    Does anyone other than Apple still make white laptops?

edit: Lenovo sells a Yoga 720 13" starting at $799 (607 quid), so start looking for refurbished, smaller screens, or raise your budget.
    Last edited by Nordstern; August 3 2017 at 12:52:18 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Need advice:
    £500 max
    14" screen
    Does anyone other than Apple still make white laptops?

edit: Lenovo sells a Yoga 720 13" starting at $799 (607 quid), so start looking for refurbished, smaller screens, or raise your budget.
    apple don't make whiet laptops for yeaaaaaars mate