hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: First laptop thread of the year?

They're not?

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how they've shat in my mouth.
    I can crack out a list of shitty business practices if you want, do you want me to exclude the manufacturing sector and focus on the product itself?
    But i'm really happy with my product, it's 6 years old and still behaves like a new machine. It also doesn't have windows - so win win for me.
    Cool, apple are still cunts though
    As is every other tech company *shrug.
    the other tech companies aren't charging $2000 for devices that overheat and you're not allowed to repair yourself
    Well i don't pay for mine so i'm just dandy!

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I'm not entirely sure how they've shat in my mouth.
    I can crack out a list of shitty business practices if you want, do you want me to exclude the manufacturing sector and focus on the product itself?
    But i'm really happy with my product, it's 6 years old and still behaves like a new machine. It also doesn't have windows - so win win for me.
    Cool, apple are still cunts though
    As is every other tech company *shrug.
    the other tech companies aren't charging $2000 for devices that overheat and you're not allowed to repair yourself
    Well i don't pay for mine so i'm just dandy!
    Somebody pays for it, just to keep in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I thought about a tablet but I like having a full size keyboard cause I often have to write texts and translations while on a trip.

This thing is kinda just small and just big enough
    Considering your description, that 14'' machine seems quite ideal for what you do

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    My 2010 macbuck pro still going strong. No issues with the battery aswell. Stuck an SSD in it the other day which did wonders to performance.

The new MacOS can't be installed on it tho. But I don't care tbh. I think this thing will outlive me at this point.
    Honestly the Macbooks are solid machines up to 2015 or so when they went full retard with everything soldered on and no way of recovering your data without proprietary Apple hardware that they don't sell unless you're an authorised Apple person. Or know how to ebay.

I still don't have High Sierra installed in my late 2013 Retina 15'' because honestly fuck them with the APFS thingie, I just had reached an equilibrium with HFS+ for Windows and NTFS for Mac from Paragon, now I'd have to re-buy all that crap and I'm really not in the mood for that.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    GF's 2009 MBP is still chugging along nicely, Core 2 Duo power. More ram, an SSD and a new battery from Alibaba has been installed, and it should be able to last a few more years.

What is crap though, is that it can't be upgraded past El Capitan, at least without some hackery, and El Capitan will stop receiving security updates soon, if I'm not mistaken.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    GF's 2009 MBP is still chugging along nicely, Core 2 Duo power. More ram, an SSD and a new battery from Alibaba has been installed, and it should be able to last a few more years.
    My old Dell m1330 from 2008/2009 is doing just fine as well with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and an 80GB SSD that was installed a few years after I got it. The wife is happy using Xubuntu 18.04 on it.

So I need two cheap-ish laptops for work. They only really need to be able to run a booking system through chrome and connect to the network, however the three laptops we have now (HP AMD A6 varients) are supposed to be that, but they're fucking shit and Chrome on its own maxes out the CPU on all three of them.

I've been looking at random i5 and i7 laptops ($500 US), new and old to futureproof myself but maybe that's overdoing it(?) and most of them come with gfx cards and dvd players I don't need.

Thoughts?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    So I need two cheap-ish laptops for work. They only really need to be able to run a booking system through chrome and connect to the network, however the three laptops we have now (HP AMD A6 varients) are supposed to be that, but they're fucking shit and Chrome on its own maxes out the CPU on all three of them.

I've been looking at random i5 and i7 laptops ($500 US), new and old to futureproof myself but maybe that's overdoing it(?) and most of them come with gfx cards and dvd players I don't need.

Thoughts?

Just get some second hand Lenovo ThinkPad, such as T450, T460 or T470 with a suitable CPU.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

Thoughts?

Just get some second hand Lenovo ThinkPad, such as T450, T460 or T470 with a suitable CPU.
    X220 also

do they have to be laptops?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Thoughts?

Sounds like a job for a decent tablet tbh

or some fucking chromebooks

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Need to be laptops. I need the portability and keyboard for booking and cashing up and a large enough screen that I can see the booking map at a glance 15" min. I don't have the space for desktops anyway.

I did think chromebooks, but after the shit show these laptops have been the past two years I ruled them out.

I'll look at what's been suggested so far.

Look into used HP 2570p as well. Get a beefy i7 and 16GB RAM and they can run anything. SSD obviously implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Look into used HP 2570p as well. Get a beefy i7 and 16GB RAM and they can run anything. SSD obviously implied.
    Almost overkill for running the Chrome browser

Need to be laptops. I need the portability and keyboard for booking and cashing up and a large enough screen that I can see the booking map at a glance 15" min. I don't have the space for desktops anyway.

I did think chromebooks, but after the shit show these laptops have been the past two years I ruled them out.

At my uni we got a dozen or so of the HP 14 inch Chromebooks in for folks that just need access to web services. They're p. decent kit, feel nice and solid for the price. Grab the one with the i3 if you're worried about performance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post

At my uni we got a dozen or so of the HP 14 inch Chromebooks in for folks that just need access to web services. They're p. decent kit, feel nice and solid for the price. Grab the one with the i3 if you're worried about performance.
    I'm a big fan of the HP chromebooks actually. There are a few things that keep me from jumping in, and it's mostly the state of cloud IDEs, tbh. The rest is eminently usable if you don't need anything other than an internet access device and are cool with cloud services.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Almost overkill for running the Chrome browser
    Ofc, but overall it's less than 500£