hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: First laptop thread of the year?

GPD Pocket is a perfect mini laptop fitting in your pocket. Powered by Intel Atom X7-Z8750 Quad Core 1.6GHz ( up to 2.56GHz ) processor. Equipped with Intel HD Graphics GPU used in PC gaming. Packed with 8GB RAM 128GB eMMC. GPD Pocket is a perfect laptop for you.
    Aw gawd.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    GPD Pocket is a perfect mini laptop fitting in your pocket. Powered by Intel Atom X7-Z8750 Quad Core 1.6GHz ( up to 2.56GHz ) processor. Equipped with Intel HD Graphics GPU used in PC gaming. Packed with 8GB RAM 128GB eMMC. GPD Pocket is a perfect laptop for you.
    Aw gawd.
    I'm with Nerdmaster C on this one.

Big red flag there is the emmc thingie which is basically a micro-SD card, so it's highly likely it'll die frequently due to Windows writing stuff all the time on the system drive.

Aw gawd.
    I suspected it would make you shudder

Big red flag there is the emmc thingie which is basically a micro-SD card, so it's highly likely it'll die frequently due to Windows writing stuff all the time on the system drive.
    It's less a laptop & more a UMPC - it's a niche device. I can probably live with it being eMMC, between my own use case not being especially demanding on disk writes and that I can probably (?) mitigate some of that with a few tweaks if it keeps me awake at night. I think that considering the form factor, the quad core chip with AC wireless and 8 GB RAM are a winner. I'm only sad it lacks a Micro SD, but it has USB 3 A & C.

LMG did a video review last year on it after the successful Indiegogo campaign. I have seen a rumor floated that they're going to update the Pocket like they did recently with their gaming handheld.

Another one I'm watching, more out of general interest, is the Planet Computers Gemini, which has an active Indiegogo campaign and had working prototypes on show at CES. Interesting design choice there, no camera on the back but they put an I/O in under the cover plate so the end user can remove it and replace it with the one they plan to develop later.

That being said, I'd prefer having Win 10 & Linux (Kali) compared to Android & Linux.
    Last edited by Sparq; February 3 2018 at 11:32:12 AM.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I thought that they have improved emmc a lot over the last few years.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I thought that they have improved emmc a lot over the last few years.
    Yes, but a 'proper' SSD chip is still better so it's less than ideal - it's most likely a cost cutting measure (compromise) relative to the rest of the device.

Add to that they're surface mounted onto the main board, no replaceable daughter board or mpcie/msata interface so once the eMMC go it's pretty much a throw-away. That being said, the physical constraints in a device like this are extreme compared to larger contemporaries and I can't imagine how they could fit something like that in. Though, there's quite a void over beside the battery... so again, compromise is the word here. Maybe they just couldn't figure out how to get a battery in there with a beefier drive choice - these are all off the shelf components but it's like 4 dimensional Tetris in a space like this. The upshot is with 128 GB of that eMMC it should give the wear managing software an abundance of space to work with. Swings & roundabouts.

Watching a tear-down video there are a few potential issues - the internal battery connector is hardly robust, the CPU heat sink may not make good contact with CPU surface straight out of the factory and therefore need the sink legs bent slightly to shape to force a better contact, or maybe a copper shim pad applied between the two. There's potential for the fan connector to not be a very good component, fragile, so if the fan ever needs replacing or maintenance it has to be done very, very carefully. Nothing here is what I'd consider a deal breaker though, being forewarned is being forearmed. Cosmin is dead right about the need to watch tear-down videos before making a purchase. This is probably an extreme example but it's a good habit as a general rule. As an aside, access inside the chassis is quite simple & straightforward compared to some full size laptops I've worked on.

As an addendum regarding the eMMC, to quote the author of the video, "The CPU has only 2 PCIe Lanes, so this is simply not possible.". There's a performance bottleneck due to CPU choice.

In spite of all this I'm probably still going to go with GPD Pocket some time this year, since UMPC are my kink.
    Last edited by Sparq; February 5 2018 at 09:50:39 AM.

I use an old thinkpad and it's starting to slow down a bit now I tell you. Shame really I should get a few more years out of it sure but it's hot and it's loud and the battery doesn't last very long and the screen isn't great it also liked to crash because :drivers:

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

I bought a nine-cell battery for my seven years old x220, for two fiddy on Alibaba. Im getting six hours on a single charge.
      Spoiler:
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    also i like walrus.
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I bought a nine-cell battery for my seven years old x220, for two fiddy on Alibaba. Im getting six hours on a single charge.
    yeah I went with the real deal lenovo 9 cell for my W510 because none of the knock offs had the same ma/h rating. I get around 3 hours out of it now. The main problem is the power hungry early gen i7

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

If you're feeling especially brave you can probably find a tear-down guide to navigate your way in to clean or even outright replace the fan. Re-goop the CPU while you're in there, too.

As an aside and slightly off-topic, but I wish they'd start making Stick PCs with > 2 GB RAM, yes there're a few with 4 GB but they're either stupidly expensive or random brands I've never heard of ... especially when they're running Win 10 and most people want to use Chrome which together just eat memory.

I've gutted it already, not arsed regooping it unless I upgrade the CPU though. I missed the magic window for cheap parts on it though W510 replacement parts are getting rare enough now that they're going up in price

phoneposting

Now that the 2018 models are out, ive resolved to get a pure work horse and if the UHD 620 can run some indy games, then all the better.

So im getting an L480 with the Campus discount: link, and will add 8GB RAM as well as have them exchange the SSD for a 960 Evo since, from everything ive read, the Lenovo SSDs are abyssmal.

I hope that will last me at least another 6 years. Any reason not to, before i pull the trigger?

Looks legit, another 8GB RAM and a normal SSD should cover it. I'd keep the M.2 btw, boot drive and so on.

Aw gawd.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE~

So a friend of a friend linked this in a discord last night,

Indiegogo - "The World's Most Powerful Pocket-Sized PC"

so, five-fucking-inch screen, set eyes balls to squint! If the 7" GPD Pocket is niche, this is super niche.

I mean don't get me wrong for $130 USD I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. At the same time, there are plenty of red flags and I don't really feel like throwing a hundred-eighty of my dollary-roos (before shipping) into the mysterious ĉther on a whim.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    So... it's either a phone or a raspberry pi in a case, right?

hmm

Leo Cheung
    Hong Kong, Hong Kong
    1 Campaign

Oh, no, it's a scam

>Crowdfunding

If it actually existed it wouldn't be on indiegogo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

C

Fuck indiescamgo
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Another friend looking for a small laptop, got £400 to spend (UK) for surfing, watching things, word etc. Any recommendations?

Enviado de meu Nexus 5X usando o Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Another friend looking for a small laptop, got £400 to spend (UK) for surfing, watching things, word etc. Any recommendations?

Enviado de meu Nexus 5X usando o Tapatalk
    Acer Swift 1 is supposed to be ok.
    https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review...eview-3668906/
      Spoiler:
    Also:
    also i like walrus.
    Yer a hoot

Got it down to 3 so far:

Acer Swift 1:
    64GB SSD - https://www.ebuyer.com/822365-acer-s...p-nx-gp2ek-003
    128GB SSD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...v_color_name=0

Lenovo IdeaPad 320S:
    Intel Pentium Gold 4415U - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...64449-pdt.html
    Intel Dual-Core i3 7100U - https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ide...white/p3447051

I'm thinking the i3 IdeaPad is the best for the price, anyone got any thoughts?