hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First laptop thread of the year?

First laptop thread of the year?

After two of my laptops have had catastrophic motherboard failures in about a month I now need a new one. I haven't bought a laptop for about 6 years though, so no idea where to look.

Main use will be for business, web design, plotting revolution, losing my temper with various crappy cloud CRM's and word processing. A fair amount of spreadsheeting to be done as well. A good battery life is pretty important and preferably lighter than a paving slab.

Budget up to around ~£800 but preferably cheaper.

Ta lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Get a MBP... and figure out how to deal with the budget issue.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

For business laptops, I still swear on the Dell Latitude series. Make sure to get the extended 3 years warranty with it (which than might be extended for another two years, so that's 5 in total). Those beasts seldom die.

I have no experience with their battery life, though. You might to look at a review or two to figure out if they fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Yeah get an overpriced and underpowered laptop that cannot be repaired unless you want to spend money on a new motherboard.
    Sounds like a steal to me.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    Yeah get an overpriced and underpowered laptop that cannot be repaired unless you want to spend money on a new motherboard.
    You know someone who has had their laptop break?

Most of our programmers use MBP's and we've had not a single one with any kind of hardware issue. This isn't the '90s nor the '00s.

Most of our programmers use MBP's and we've had not a single one with any kind of hardware issue. This isn't the '90s nor the '00s.
    And if you buy the apple care at $200 extra, or whatever, it just gets replaced for 3 years, no fuss, in a business context.

If you don't have processing or strange "must connect to 57 USB things at once" requirements the airs are actually p good for the basic office stuff you talk about.

I may not have to tell you, but I'll give you the boilerplate speech, and say get two cloud services. Save all your work under one directory and make that the sync folder for both cloud services. The computer and apps on it (most of the time) can be repurchased but the data cannot.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; March 25 2017 at 01:58:38 AM.
    meh

get a mac

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    And if you buy the apple care at $200 extra, or whatever, it just gets replaced for 3 years, no fuss, in a business context.

If you don't have processing or strange "must connect to 57 USB things at once" requirements the airs are actually p good for the basic office stuff you talk about.

I may not have to tell you, but I'll give you the boilerplate speech, and say get two cloud services. Save all your work under one directory and make that the sync folder for both cloud services. The computer and apps on it (most of the time) can be repurchased but the data cannot.
    Since we do development of virtualization infrastructure pretty much everyone at our company need to be able to run multiple virtual machines locally, so mac airs aren't really an option.

For 'backup' I just use a private github repository that gets updated using crontab, and what isn't in that repository isn't data I really need.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

P much this, another +1 for a Mac.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

I don't know anyone who had a problem with laptop x. Does that mean that these things should be impossible to repair? Or the iPhones? Your argument is so full of shit I'm not sure why I'm even bothering responding to you.

Meanwhile: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...o-repair-laws/
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For business laptops, I still swear on the Dell Latitude series. Make sure to get the extended 3 years warranty with it (which than might be extended for another two years, so that's 5 in total). Those beasts seldom die.

I have no experience with their battery life, though. You might to look at a review or two to figure out if they fit your needs.
    +1 for Dell Latitudes and the factory outlet

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    +1 for Dell Latitudes and the factory outlet

So just as apples to apples comparison (heh) as I could get.

A new Air, (with a CPU upgrade) 2.2Ghz i5 8GB 128GB SSD. $1149

(I'd honestly wait for the next air. It'll most likely have the fingerprint sensor and a haptic touchpad at the same price point).

New Dell Latitude 5280 (which is what I consider to be comparable, for a suave young communist internet marketing guru like comrade keckers) with 2.6Ghz i5 8GB 128GB SSD $1159

The Dell is a little quicker and has built in VGA (lol), RJ45 and HDMI. It also has a usb C port, which is the future. They both have 2 x USB 3. The Air currently available has Thunderbolt. The next gen will likely be all usb C. Probably 2.

Business class services (you are writing this off against tax, comrade?) are going to be about the same, I assume, and I normally advise next day replacement. It just saves you so much grief over time. Especially self employed doing projects others rely on. You don't get a lot of chances to fuck up.

They are around the same size and weight, which is why I picked this model of Dell. Dell don't make any real claims about battery life and Apple claim 12 hours. I know my wife's Air gets charged "occasionally" and is basically a champ. She uses it for office stuff, remote desktop and web browsing basically.

So, as it currently stands, They are about the same price. The dell performs a little better and has more legacy connectivity options, but the Air will have a much better detached time (I'm just basing this on who brings adapters into meeting rooms at work). The Dell is currently a newer gen but that will change soon.

All the tools you want are the same price, but you get Apples actually very good work suite free, which will cover you unless you are getting into kinky word and excel formatting, in which case God have mercy upon your soul anyway, and I straight up prefer Keynote to PP. I think macOs is the most business guy friendly unix and a far superior OS under the hood to windows, although I will give MS their due and say that 10/2016 are big steps forward. Some fundamental design decisions about windows are still fucking derpy though. Ultimately use what you feel most comfortable and are most productive with.

Another option is completely cutting the chord and going chromebook and letting big daddy google do all your word processing. I don't think that's super viable yet. You always need to be able to work on flights or whatever.

I think the choice is more nuanced that hurr durr, apple is shit. This is the dudes livelihood.
    meh

I already have Office business licenses for Windows, I don't know if that changes anything. Plus I use OneDrive for all my cloud storage. I imagine this makes switching to Apple a bit of a pain
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I already have Office business licenses for Windows, I don't know if that changes anything. Plus I use OneDrive for all my cloud storage. I imagine this makes switching to Apple a bit of a pain
    One drive works fine. I know our licenses float between mac and windows, but my current employer is like Fortune 20 so... Your licensing might not be as flexible as ours, but at least check that out.
    meh

I'm 99% certain you can't transfer a license from PC to Mac but it's worth giving them a call and asking.

+1 for the "Get a Mac" camp.

HP Elitebook / ZBook, or alternatively a Dell. (lol Mac)

Don't get an Air, they are waaaay behind the curve anymore and I doubt Apple will be updating them, since the MacBook fills the ultralight category and the 13 inch Pro is honestly about the same size as the Air just way more powerful.

In terms of reliability, Apple is about the only company where I'd honestly say that you can buy any of their products and be sure that you're getting the top end in build quality (if not the latest in specs/features, should that matter). Windows laptop manufacturers certainly have good machines in their lineup, but you have to do a bit more research to find out which ones are worth paying a premium for. In my work environment, we loan out a good number of laptops to university faculty who are frankly way harder on the machines than you'd expect, and I've had good durable models and bad flaky models from Dell, HP, Asus, MSI and Gateway all.

If I were to get a Windows computer out of that lineup for the uses you describe, Dell XPS 13. On the Apple side I wouldn't settle for less than the baseline Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Having a look at the 13 inch laptops my housemates have I think it may be a bit small for what I want #sizequeen

I think ideally I'd want at least 15 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Having a look at the 13 inch laptops my housemates have I think it may be a bit small for what I want #sizequeen

I think ideally I'd want at least 15 inches

Soo .. size 15"+ , not too heavy, durable'ish, good battery...

Dedicated GPU necessary? Optical drive still wanted? Any special accessory or connector needed? :P