hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First laptop thread of the year?

Genuine battery pack off amazon is £24.99. Issue is that the battery is so viciously glued to the bloody chassis that if/when you take it out it takes the trackpad wiring with it, so basically 175ish quid is the cost of having everything replaced without any risk of getting something irremediably fucked in the process.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Genuine battery pack off amazon is £24.99. Issue is that the battery is so viciously glued to the bloody chassis that if/when you take it out it takes the trackpad wiring with it, so basically 175ish quid is the cost of having everything replaced without any risk of getting something irremediably fucked in the process.
    Love me some soldered ssd's on the mbp too, quality
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

My model has the replaceable one. Otoh, it was top notch to begin with (I got the 1TB version which is amazing speeds, 1GBps read, 1GBps write).

Will consider replacing it when there will be larger capacities available at a decent price.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Looking at upgrading my current mobile solution from a 6-year(ish) old Lenovo U160 IdeaPad (that has degraded so much that its basically a Chrome book now) to something mid-tier that can do most things work, streaming and a bit of light gaming okayish on the go.

Ive got my eye on Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-85XD, 12gigs DDR4, i78550U, 256GB SSD + 1TB internal HDD, GeForce MX150 on top of a Intel HD 620.

Very hesitant to pull the trigger tho. Is there anything obviously wrong with the model? Someone got an equally priced alternative recommendation? Im really not what you would call a hardware guy.

edit: hmmm the 17in version runs just 50bucks more, with a bit less RAM for some reason but that can be stocked up it think? But then, 17in models usually arent what i consider mobile any more... cant decide.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; December 24 2017 at 11:13:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Looking at upgrading my current mobile solution from a 6-year(ish) old Lenovo U160 IdeaPad (that has degraded so much that its basically a Chrome book now) to something mid-tier that can do most things work, streaming and a bit of light gaming okayish on the go.

Ive got my eye on Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-85XD, 12gigs DDR4, i78550U, 256GB SSD + 1TB internal HDD, GeForce MX150 on top of a Intel HD 620.

Very hesitant to pull the trigger tho. Is there anything obviously wrong with the model? Someone got an equally priced alternative recommendation? Im really not what you would call a hardware guy.

edit: hmmm the 17in version runs just 50bucks more, with a bit less RAM for some reason but that can be stocked up it think? But then, 17in models usually arent what i consider mobile any more... cant decide.
    Dont buy Acer or HP.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I don't trust anything with a GTX MX card tbh

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    :vov:

Im not going to go for a "gaming laptop", the alternative is only relying on a Intel HD620. While i do deal with a fair bit of image data, im pretty sure the applications all run from RAM exclusively (and mostly on a single core). Some simulation software is multi-core and uses the GPU, but if push comes to shove i run those things from a workstation since they can take up to a day either way.

The MX was meant to deal with low-demand games like Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea or maybe Divinity at the max, not 3D shooters.

What else is there to look at, then?

If i exclude HP and Acer, but stick to i7-8550U and 15in in the same price range, i only come up with Dell Inspiron 15 5570 (which has a Radeon 530). Better/equal/worse?
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; December 25 2017 at 12:03:49 PM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    :vov:

Im not going to go for a "gaming laptop", the alternative is only relying on a Intel HD620. While i do deal with a fair bit of image data, im pretty sure the applications all run from RAM exclusively (and mostly on a single core).

The MX was meant to deal with low-demand games like Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea or maybe Divinity at the max, not 3D shooters.

What else is there to look at, then?
    If it makes you feel any better, my Thinkpad X230 runs Darkest Dungeon just fine on an HD2000

The Acer you mentioned looks fine and was reviewed quite favorably here:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-A....240090.0.html

Seems good value for the money.

Thinkpad X230, HP EliteBook 2570p. Aftermarket CPU replacements/moar RAM/SSDs.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    The Acer you mentioned looks fine and was reviewed quite favorably here:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-A....240090.0.html

Seems good value for the money.
    Maybe ill hold off on it for another month (until i really need it), to see if more models pop up. Thanks tho!

I've had acer laptops in the past and wouldn't recommend them. Build quality was quite poor. My girlfriend had an hp that was pretty shit and ended up being strangled by bloat ware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Look to buy used refurbished business class instead of new consumer stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Six shooters ruined PvP.

I've heard a few refurb horror stories from friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Im holding off for now because i dont like Acer that much either, and the body looks like shit. Definitely want 8th gen i7 and some form of dedicated graphics tho, without breaking the bank.

If it had been the same hardware in a rugged ThinkPad design, id have taken it.

Best laptop 13" <£500 for videos/office stuff?

Was thinking this, but 64GB puts me off...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M265V...-1550332561-21

e: or this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-YOGA...n%3A7167381031
    Last edited by NoirAvlaa; January 10 2018 at 10:18:43 AM.

Now that a couple days have passed ive taken a look at Ryzen laptops again... the pickings are still slim, but theres: Lenovo 720S-13ARR 81BR002HGE. Theres also a 7 2500U version (Lenovo 720S-13ARR 81BR000XGE) for the same price but half the SSD size :S

On paper they have the same power consumption (TDP), although im not sure how much to trust that. So the question is really, 1) will it handle the heat, 2) does onboard RAM exclude jabbing another 8gig in there eventually, and 3) can i replace the SSD of the 7 model if it ends up really bothering me. These ultrathins dont sem to be really upgrade-friendly.

Wish theyd hurry up and give a release schedule / more models, id have loved to have it for a trip next month.

If it's got embedded/soldered RAM you can't upgrade that. Look for any teardown on the web to see what can and can't be changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Six shooters ruined PvP.