hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Diagnosing Browser Lag

Diagnosing Browser Lag

So for about a week or two (not entirely sure when I first noticed the problem) my Firefox has been acting very strange. With few tabs open it takes up a shitload of CPU on Twitch, frequently spiking to 70-80%, and resting between 20-30% when outside it. Now at first I identified this as being on Source instead of Medium/Low and CPU usage came down considerably. But before and after changing it from Source, the browser would lag noticeably.

When I have a game such as NWN or CK2 running during said Youtube/Twitch sessions, it's very fast and responsive.

During periods of not having Twitch/Youtube open, the CPU usage is between 2% and 20-30%.

CPU is an i5-4690, has never been overclocked (I don't believe it's a model that can be anyway).

Things that have been tried:

Updating Firefox to latest

Using 64 bit over 32 bit

Updating GPU to latest (GTX 970) drivers

Observing CPU use without Youtube or Twitch open

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox and Flash

Browser addons and latest update datings:

Epub Reader Feb 17, 2017

NoScript, March 17 2017

Classic Theme Restorer, March 9 2017

Reddit Enhancement Suite, Feb 19, 2017

Addon Compatibility Reporter, March 17, 2017 (Installed this to see if it could help figure out what the problem is)

uBlock Origin March 13 2017

Mega's browser addon, March 16 2017

Addons but disabled:

Avast Online Security
    Avast Safe Price
    Enhanced Steam (Disabled it when compiling this list, noticing ACR said incompatible with multiprocess) Dec 21, 2015

Browser plugins:

OpenH264 March 15, 2017

Shockwave Flash 25 March 15 2017

Widevine Content Decrypt, March 15 2017

Extra Notes:

I have noticed around the same time League started having FPS issues ingame, that browser fuckery was first noticed. This was back around the 11th, others were reporting issues ingame on League too with similar hardware. Makes me wonder if somehow it's connected, but unlikely. Just remarking for posterity.

Disabling hardware acceleration does not seem to have a noticeable effect.

So I ask, minds of FHC: The fuck is wrong with my browser?

Tl,dr; Shitty browser lag on Youtube/Twitch/in general, gets fast and responsive when a game is running, issues started up around the same time League started shitting itself too. Possibly linked, but not 100% sure.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Your browser is wrong, don't use FireFox.

Also, who these days would even consider installing Flash?
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

So for about a week or two (not entirely sure when I first noticed the problem) my Firefox has been acting very strange.
    It has been iffy for me regarding video playback on a few sites for a few weeks now. Twitch and youtube are working fine though.

Now at first I identified this as being on Source instead of Medium/Low and CPU usage came down considerably.
    Well, the higher the resolution of a video the more work your system has to do...HD video isn't nothing regarding CPU load, mate.

It looks like you haven't tried a clean reinstall of the browser though?
    Last edited by FatFreddy; March 20 2017 at 12:37:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

IIRC the upgrade process was Install Firefox 64 bit -> Uninstall 32 bit.

I haven't done a straight remove Firefox completely then installed 64 bit again.

Could it have someting to do with Mozilla's ongoing project to switch over Firefox to Electrolysis (=process per tab vs. thread per tab)?

Yeah I was gunna say, double-check any user-set values for threading in about:config.
    That and quite how your plugins/extensions are supported in 52.

And you might want to backup and start a new profile in Firefox, because upgrading the binary won't change that part of your setup, and maybe it's some legacy other thing.

Fuck Flash man, it's 2017. Even BBC News doesn't need it as of this month it seems \o/

Also, try putting the binary and profile on an SSD if you haven't already. Unless your drive's filling/old, maybe some issue with the browser cache files.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; March 21 2017 at 09:12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I'm not actually sure what's changed to unfuck it. Had a BSOD 2 days ago while trying to close Firefox when it was using a lot of memory, shut the computer down, reseated RAM (to make sure it wasn't a hardware thing) and took a duster to it to be safe (There was some dust on the CPU, but not enough I think would impact it, normal build up if it makes sense).

Had no problems since then regarding CPU usage, browser back to normal speeds and such.

It's utterly bizarre.

The improper shutdown might have led to FF needing to rebuild/verify some profile or cache database file, iirc it has several SQLite ones for such purposes. It's possible it schedules this work during otherwise-idle time, or it's triggered per site/feature interaction, so it wouldn't just be a several-minutes-100%-CPU stall at first start up after such an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.