hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizza fight club

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yes, but that has nothing to do with understanding why it's there..:
    It's there... to make people fat.
    Ok, but seriously, cheese on pizza specifically, or like, cheese in general?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    VEGAN CHEESE
    Imma let you finish, but what the fuck is vegan cheese?
    So I know a friend who worked in a vegan restaurant; they made vegan cheese.

Most of their vegan 'dairy substitute' came from cashews. They would soak cashews, and since they are fatty even for nuts, somehow separate the resulting slurry into cashew curds and whey?

The nacho's with vegan cheese were nothing to write home about. The vegan burger was tasty, but had the wrong texture altogether. The vegan chocolate milkshake was actually quite tasty, consisting of aforementioned cashew dairy substitute along with coconut and chocolate and whatever else they put in it.

The problem I have with the whole thing is all the trouble they put into it trying to mimic something else, when there are perfectly good vegan dishes (like a wondrous variety of curries) that don't have to try so hard to be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Proxy View Post
    VEGAN CHEESE

Most of their vegan 'dairy substitute' came from cashews. They would soak cashews, and since they are fatty even for nuts, somehow separate the resulting slurry into cashew curds and whey?

The nacho's with vegan cheese were nothing to write home about. The vegan burger was tasty, but had the wrong texture altogether. The vegan chocolate milkshake was actually quite tasty, consisting of aforementioned cashew dairy substitute along with coconut and chocolate and whatever else they put in it.

The problem I have with the whole thing is all the trouble they put into it trying to mimic something else, when there are perfectly good vegan dishes (like a wondrous variety of curries) that don't have to try so hard to be delicious.
    Actually that cashew cheese isn't very hard to make and it's absolutely delicious if done right. I wonder what that restaurant was doing wrong. My ex used to do it at home. It was something like soaking some cashews overnight, then blending them with a few spices and miso (from whence the cheesyness comes). Not much work at all and as a dip it's fantastic.

Normally I agree that vegetarian/vegan foods are at their worst when they attempt to fake meat, rather than play on their strengths. Ice cream and that cashew sauce are not such cases. I've also had burgers that were really good, but those were a lot of work and didn't involve some shit soy patty.
    Last edited by Frug; March 11 2017 at 03:42:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    VEGAN CHEESE

Actually that cashew cheese isn't very hard to make and it's absolutely delicious if done right. I wonder what that restaurant was doing wrong. My ex used to do it at home. It was something like soaking some cashews overnight, then blending them with a few spices and miso (from whence the cheesyness comes). Not much work at all and as a dip it's fantastic.

Normally I agree that vegetarian/vegan foods are at their worst when they attempt to fake meat, rather than play on their strengths. Ice cream and that cashew sauce are not such cases.
    Oh it wasn't so much the cheese on the nacho's was an issue, more that if I am going to actively seek out vegan nourishment, there are so many things I would prefer to eat than nacho's. The burger was quite tasty, but other hard core carnivores couldn't get past how the texture could not come close to what their expectations of what a burger should be.

Oh it wasn't so much the cheese on the nacho's was an issue, more that if I am going to actively seek out vegan nourishment, there are so many things I would prefer to eat than nacho's. The burger was quite tasty, but other hard core carnivores couldn't get past how the texture could not come close to what their expectations of what a burger should be.
    What if I like those nachos (I really do. Like, as much as melting real cheese on them)? Why limit things?

The burgers can be good, but you can't take someone who's hoping to get meat, or is a 'hard core carnivore' who wants to hate it, and tell them it will fool them. That's a naive expectation. People can detect even the slightest deviation from any recipe, so how on earth would a substitute of that magnitude to go unnoticed? At best it's tasty and filling. I eat them occasionally because I like variety (I also eat meat) and I never hate on foods for being different.

Unless it's one of these https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/

I want to try one of those.
    Last edited by Frug; March 11 2017 at 04:03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    I'm declaring Hawaiian pizza the official pizza of FHC.
    Will that be before or after you make all those new mods you promised months ago?
    Get back to me whenever I get admin access.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Both.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

itt people asserting that in the reality we live in nowadays that cheese isn't an essential constituent of pizza.

Yeah sure OK mate.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    itt people asserting that in the reality we live in nowadays that cheese isn't an essential constituent of pizza.

Yeah sure OK mate.

i'd argue that it's more the case that you can swap out any part of a pizza APART from cheese. Therefore, pizza is just a conduit for cheese.
    irony1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

you can get really fucking good pizza without cheese tbh, i was shocked myself when i first had it (by accident, mind)

really requires fucking top of the line ingredients and baking though, the crust must be utter perfection and the toppings good and fitting. I think mine was a prosciutto rucola and stuff.

That said, adding cheese to it wouldnt have made it worse at all, and probably only even better.

Oh, wait, just remembered it came with grated parmesan on top so not entirely cheese-less anyway heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    you can get really fucking good pizza without cheese tbh, i was shocked myself when i first had it (by accident, mind)

really requires fucking top of the line ingredients and baking though, the crust must be utter perfection and the toppings good and fitting. I think mine was a prosciutto rucola and stuff.

That said, adding cheese to it wouldnt have made it worse at all, and probably only even better.

Oh, wait, just remembered it came with grated parmesan on top so not entirely cheese-less anyway heh.
    Degenerate.

Both.
    Don't like the taste, or is it this strange phobia it'll make you fat?

Not even a little parmesan on the bolognese?
    meh

It's Rak...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Degenerate.
    Slav.

Wait, shii~

Both.

What people call sauce bolognese nowadays now that is a fucking disgrace. If it hasnt been cooked (and then thrown away) for at least 2 hours (at the very least) its not a sauce bolognese. People that call any tomato sauce with minced meat in it a bolognese should be put down.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Both.

What people call sauce bolognese nowadays now that is a fucking disgrace. If it hasnt been cooked (and then thrown away) for at least 2 hours (at the very least) its not a sauce bolognese. People that call any tomato sauce with minced meat in it a bolognese should be put down.
    I know what bolognese sauce is W0lfy. I'm an aspiring BBQ champion, remember. I know what slow cooking is.
    meh

slow cooking is when you give a normal recipe to Wolf and let him improvise

My fucking sides

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    My fucking sides

Post of the week right there. Or possibly more.

My sides, have abandoned me.

Post of the year material right here.