hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizza fight club

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    I'll have to taste it for final judgement, never seen it anywhere before.
    Must be an anglo thing ?
    Most of the takeaway here have those, never seen them in a real pizzeria though.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Went to a pub in a nice village just outside Oldham that did English breakfast pizzas. Baked bean sauce base, bacon, sausage, hash brown and black pudding toppings with a couple of eggs cracked in the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Went to a pub in a nice village just outside Oldham that did English breakfast pizzas. Baked bean sauce base, bacon, sausage, hash brown and black pudding toppings with a couple of eggs cracked in the middle
    To be fair baked beans are on a tomato base anyway. Minus hash browns that could taste pretty fine I reckon.

Hot sauce
    Onions
    Chicken
    Extra cheese

Side of garlic knots

The best

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    To be fair baked beans are on a tomato base anyway. Minus hash browns that could taste pretty fine I reckon.
    Yeah it was really good
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Chicken on pizza is such an american thing. (not that its bad)

The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Shut the Fuck up you silly boxhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Shut the Fuck up you silly boxhead
    Hahaha

I havent heard that term in years.

Quote Originally Posted by tighten View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Say it with me

Back bacon
    Back. Bacon.
    Or, just bacon as we call in it in SA. That said, why the fuck is it always round?
    Wat?

Round?
    Well that is just rolled ham isn't it?
    Depends on which side of the border you're on.
    that's not bacon.

do you even bacon? or just pork
    I pork with the best of them buddy. How many other people on this board make their own bacon...

I just find this particular product curious, and this is the primary accompaniment to pineapple on pizza round my neck of the woods.

So ham and pineapple?

So ham and pineapple?
    Yes, but they keep identifying it as Canadian bacon, and it's sweeter than ham.

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Hot sauce
    Onions
    Chicken
    Extra cheese
    This may sound a little odd but, the above plus...sweetcorn.
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Bbq sauce base anyone?
    Last edited by Larkonis Trassler; March 9 2017 at 05:38:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Hot sauce
    Onions
    Chicken
    Extra cheese
    This may sound a little odd but, the above plus...sweetcorn.
    The Prairies have corrupted you.

Filth.

Pizza is actually less about the toppings (most are nice) and more about how the pizza is made, and the quality of the ingredients (especially the dough). A superbly made pizza made by a master of the craft will be delicious regardless of the toppings (in limits of course).

The best pizza i ever had was a pizza margherita somewhere in italy (i dont remember where, and it kills me that i dont). I usually dont like that specific pizza because i find to to boring but that one blew me away.

And pizza doesnt really mean pizza, the overcheesed plates of fat and grease common in many parts of the anglo-saxon world can be delicous but its not a real pizza in the italian sense of the world (not to mention the other stuff, like deep dish pizza). I like myself a good bbq pizza with pulled pork and jalapeños and feta cheese (sprinkled lightly atop), but any italtian chef would kick my ass for calling that a pizza. Although i do struggle to come up with a word to describe all the food that falls under the pizza category myself.

The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Don't worry mate a few stern words and the Italian will join your side.

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Time to resolve some discussion here:

Anchovy - small forage fish of the family Engraulidae. 2-40cm adult length depending on species (144 species in 17 genera)
    A traditional method of processing and preserving anchovies is to gut and salt them in brine, allow them to mature, and then pack them in oil or salt. There are other ways, such as pickling in vinegar, but the one listed is how you find tinned anchovies for pizza.

Sardine - common name of several fish within the entire herring family of Clupeidae. 40cm adult length max, depending on species (21 species marketed as sardines)
    Commonly served in cans (best in olive oil). Fresh sardines can be grilled, pickled, or smoked.

Anchovy is generally the filet, and has a very strong flavor (and sometimes very salty when not rinsed/etc); while Sardine is often the entire fish (or minus the head) bones and all. Anchovy is tops for pizza, especially if you are sharing with someone and you get anchovy on your half :P Sardines are excellent mashed together with avocado and served on rye toast.

Freedom Bacon: Bacon is belly bacon, Canadian Bacon is a side cut, and much leaner (pork loin). Ham is from the leg, and is is much more similar to Canadian Bacon, than Canadian Bacon is to Bacon.

Pizza: Neapolitan pizza in a oak wood fired stone oven is superb. Everything else is a pale imitation once you have had it.

For those not worried about being authentic, this recipe from Cooks Illustrated (and their program on PBS) for their approximation of Chicago deep dish pizza is really good, if time consuming to make:
      Spoiler:
    Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza
    From Season 11: Deep-Dish Pizza

Why this recipe works:
    Bad deep-dish pizzas are doughy and tasteless, while recipes for the good versions are staunchly protected by the people who make them—in Chicago pizzerias. We wanted a recipe for the best pan pizza Chicago has to offer: one that boasts a thick, crisp crust with an airy, flaky interior, and a rich taste that can hold its own under any kind of topping.
    The recipes we came across in our research sounded a lot like classic pizza dough, with the exception of cornmeal for added crunch and butter for tenderness and flavor. These crusts weren’t bad, but they weren’t as flaky as a Chicago-made crust. To increase the flakiness, we turned to laminating. This baking term refers to the layering of butter and dough that creates ultra-flaky pastries through a sequence of rolling and folding. A combination of adding melted butter to the dough and spreading the rolled out dough with softened butter, before folding, did the trick. This crust was a huge improvement. Our only additional tweak was adding oil to each pan to crisp the edges.
    With our crust all set, we turned to the toppings. Following Chicago tradition, we covered the dough with freshly shredded mozzarella and then topped the cheese with our thick, quick-to-make tomato sauce. The cheese formed a consistent barrier between the crust and our sauce, which prevented our thick, flavorful crust from turning soggy.*

Makes two 9-inch pizzas, serving 4 to 6
    Place a damp kitchen towel under the mixer and watch it at all times during kneading to prevent it from wobbling off the counter. Handle the dough with slightly oiled hands, or it might stick. The test kitchen prefers Dragone Whole Milk Mozzarella; part-skim mozzarella can also be used, but avoid preshredded cheese, as it does not melt well. Our preferred brands of crushed tomatoes are Tuttorosso and Muir Glen. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater.

Ingredients

Dough
    3 1/4 cups (16 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup (2 3/4 ounces) yellow cornmeal
    1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
    1 1/4 cups water (10 ounces), room temperature
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted, plus 4 tablespoons, softened
    1 teaspoon plus 4 tablespoons olive oil

Sauce
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup grated onion , from 1 medium onion (see note)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano *
    Table salt
    2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (see note)
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil *
    Ground black pepper

Toppings
    1 pound mozzarella cheese , shredded (about 4 cups) (see note)
    1/2 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)

Instructions
    1. FOR THE DOUGH: Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and yeast in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook on low speed until incorporated, about 1 minute. Add water and melted butter and mix on low speed until fully combined, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping sides and bottom of bowl occasionally. Increase speed to medium and knead until dough is glossy and smooth and pulls away from sides of bowl, 4 to 5 minutes. (Dough will only pull away from sides while mixer is on. When mixer is off, dough will fall back to sides.)
    2. Using fingers, coat large bowl with 1 teaspoon olive oil, rubbing excess oil from fingers onto blade of rubber spatula. Using oiled spatula, transfer dough to bowl, turning once to oil top; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled in volume, 45 to 60 minutes.
    3. FOR THE SAUCE: While dough rises, heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar, increase heat to high, and bring to simmer. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, 25 to 30 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and oil, then season with salt and pepper.
    4. TO LAMINATE THE DOUGH: Adjust oven rack to lower position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Using rubber spatula, turn dough out onto dry work surface and roll into 15- by 12-inch rec-tangle. Using offset spatula, spread softened butter over surface of dough, leaving 1/2-inch border along edges. Starting at short end, roll dough into tight cylinder. With seam side down, flatten cylinder into 18- by 4-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half crosswise. Working with 1 half, fold into thirds like business letter; pinch seams together to form ball. Repeat with remaining half. Return balls to oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in refrigerator until nearly doubled in volume, 40 to 50 minutes.
    5. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with 2 tablespoons olive oil each. Transfer 1 dough ball to dry work surface and roll out into 13-inch disk about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer dough to pan by rolling dough loosely around rolling pin and unrolling into pan. Lightly press dough into pan, working into corners and 1 inch up sides. If dough resists stretching, let it relax 5 minutes before trying again. Repeat with remaining dough ball.
    6. For each pizza, sprinkle 2 cups mozzarella evenly over surface of dough. Spread 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce over cheese and sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over sauce. Bake until crust is golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove pizza from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

1/4 teaspoon of sugar in 2 1/2 cups of reduced sauce.
    The flavor is the dough, with the unique crust (its laminated with butter); the sauce, with tomato, garlic, onion, and oregano; and the cheese.
    If you want 'toppings' you place them on top of the cheese, under the sauce. You can always go the meat option, basically all the stuff you would find on a antipasto plate works well.
    Another favorite is spinach, take a brick of frozen spinach, heat it up on the stove in a pot and cook away most of the moisture, and layer it between the cheese and sauce; delicious.*

*Spinach on deep dish pizza is wonderful, spinach on flat pizza, not so much.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.
    Wish I could rep him more.

And yeah I meant anchovies instead of sardines. Deep.

The best pizza I ever had was one I made myself.

I cut up some left over steak and put onion and bbq sauce on it and it was big good

Your posting is medium, its not rare and its not well done
    - Krans 26/7/12