hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Middle-Earth: Shekels of War

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Assuming loot boxs didn't change from the pre-release review version, they aren't just "optional", but "entirely unnecessary and not necessarily even particularly helpful unless you really get off on that sort of thing, and by the way you get all tiers free relatively generously through normal non-grind play", so not sure that's a legit concern.
    yea, you're wrong m8.

many reviewers didn't get to the fourth act (Shadow Wars), requiring a fair amount of grinding, or buying loot-boxes to get to the actual ending.
    The review I read said it took him one weekend to beat the fourth act without microtransactions, of which about half the time was make-up because he had done a poor job picking good leaders for his outposts in the previous acts.
    After the one dude failed at the cuphead tutorial everything with "the reviewer failed to finish act....." is absolutely no argument for me anymore.

obligatory

As pointed out by many people, not being able to play well Is not a crime and one can still persevere and end up with a decent review eventually, but ffs don't release the footage. One should be professional enough to know that your footage makes the game look bad even though it doesn't deserve it so either don't release it at all or re-record it once you got a bit better so you can show the game off properly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have stolen this, will report in the evening.

I suppose it's too much to expect professional video game critics to have any competence whatsoever, let alone in playing video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I suppose it's too much to expect professional video game critics to have any competence whatsoever, let alone in playing video games.
    You are correct.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Requesting thread title change to Middle-Earth: Shadow of Moredough, alternatively Shadow of Moredollah

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Requesting thread title change to Middle-Earth: Shadow of Moredough, alternatively Shadow of Moredollah
    Supporting.

Would also accept Shekels of Mordor.

Shekels of War surely.

I stand corrected.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Here's an actually balanced review by someone who played 60 hours and beat the final act comfortably without microtransactions

https://kotaku.com/what-you-need-to-...sia-1819293793

You didn't need to drop a dime on Dead Space 3 as well. Didn't make it any less retarded of a concept.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You didn't need to drop a dime on Dead Space 3 as well. Didn't make it any less retarded of a concept.
    This.

Given that you don't need to spend any money on fee to pay content (which I'm sceptical that you don't need to do in the first place) in order to enjoy the full potential of the game, it is still bullshit. The industry's greediness is really starting to piss me off. The production costs are minimal compared to other big budget entertainment productions (like movies), and they are notorious dodging taxes of their profits. Then you have the corrupted moral of introducing a gambling element in a game that is marketed to kids aswell.

They can fuck right off. If I felt the need to get these games, I would do like razebro and hoist the jolly roger, because fuck giving any money to support the practices of this industry.

Luckily I find enough entertainment value in other games who's publishers yet have sunk into this rabbithole of assfuckery.

Here's an actually balanced review by someone who played 60 hours and beat the final act comfortably without microtransactions

https://kotaku.com/what-you-need-to-...sia-1819293793
    The hell is a "balanced review" here?

By someone who doesn't hate the concept of a game shoving you loot boxes in the face the whole game? A goddamn SP game at that? Sounds more like someone who isn't doing their job tbh.

That kotaku writer's point (it isn't a review, more a follow up editorial) is that you don't (yet) have to spend real money on boxes as you earn more than enough items/currency/orcs through regular play. The perception that the final stage is unfairly grindy to her seems less because it's purposely trying to make you buy loot boxes & more because the game is pretty easy up to that point, so you're unprepared for the difficulty spike. Keeping your orcs & gear adequately leveled is more effective than buying crates. Whether that will change when the full fee to pay economy is introduced remains to be seen.

To me, it sounds like they tried to do something similar to MGS5 hiding a cutscene behind that FOB multiplayer mode, minus Kojima's pretentiousness.

Middle Earth: Shadow of (Daddy) Warbucks

Because kotaku is such a paragon of - no you know what, I've beaten that horse to death, you all know my thoughts on the subject so there's no need to repeat myself again and again and again and...

I have finished a thorough preliminary research and can confirm that it is every bit as great as MESM. It is also more often a challenge thanks to new orcsy perks, managed to get an almost immune faggot 2 hours in.

Talion+Celeblambam are still awkward as fuck always going on about savehumies/FUCKSAURON but maybe that goes with the LotR territory. The black dude may be jarring for some but the sole issue i have with him is that he is THE ONLY black dude. Gurrrrl gondorian captain looks like a straight result of nepotism being the whiny moody archetype. Also Shelob looks like Jovovich but is not voiced like her.

This is probably the first case of metacritic userscore going full retard on my memory but hopefully it will be balanced by pity 10/10s like mine. Would give it an 8 otherwise, mostly for clusterfucked combat with way too many buttons to mash each doing three different things but this is just the PC master race opinion i guess.

P.S.: Beware of the automatic settings, dynamic resolution is the cancer that is killing your eyes.
    P.P.S.: Runs surprisingly good on my rustbucket, Monolith know their shit still.
    Last edited by RazoR; October 13 2017 at 01:21:33 PM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Because kotaku is such a paragon of - no you know what, I've beaten that horse to death, you all know my thoughts on the subject so there's no need to repeat myself again and again and again and...
    goobergate is dead, kotaku aren't that bad, let it go friendo

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Playing it. It feels like a more polished, slightly deeper rework of the original one, with more complex, vertical maps. If you like the first one its like that but better and deeper. Apart from the "market" option on the esc menu I havent noticed the microtransaction aspect at all, there's nothing I've been running short of that would encourage me to explore that aspect, nor is it particularly pushed by the game