hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse [Megathread]

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Belters are basically minmatar. Mars is gallente to earth caldari?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Mars are Caldari and Earth are Gallente. Mars are more technologically sophisticated and less numerous, striving to be independent from its "bigger brother".
    The fancy stealth ships had their special drives built on Earth, so I don't think that's completely true

It's just hard to have an advanced navy when you're funding basic income so 10 billion people Xenos can watch anime all day

I was more going for the Gallente freedom vs Caldari corporate greed angle as opposed to the technology angle

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Amos is best.
    Not empty quoting

Spoiler:
    Please don't make me fight you, because then who'd fly the ship?

So who else thought the spacing was extremely telegraphed?

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    as soon as he said "good safe ship" twice in a row...

Amos is best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Americans cannot into subtext
    [img]http://orig14.deviantart.net/351d/f/2015/121/c/0/_cover_zing__krul_tepes_by_skanantene-d8rqmf5.png[/img]

I don't remember the Ganymede refugee spacing from the books, so I only got the feeling when the belter captain held Prax back to save him. Was deliciously chilling when it happened a few seconds later. Should serve to legitimize his PTSD in the coming episodes, and it also illustrates how far militant belters with self interest in mind will go against the inners. These are effectively nations all but at war with each other. Parallels with today, a hallmark of the best sci fi.

As far as the belter dialect goes, it's sporadically spelled out in the books but mostly left up to interpretation as to how it would actually be spoken as a creole of various prominent earth languages. Obviously it would sound weird and nonsensical to us now, as most of us speak one or two of those languages. Language is changing faster and faster, just like most things today. I think the actors give differing performances, but for the most part I love the belter creole. If you accept that the belt speaks a different, shared language despite the distances often separating them more from each other than the inners, you begin to see them as a separate whole, albeit fractured, culture oppressed by the inners. I especially love Anderson Dawes' speeches.

Overall, I love the expanse because it seems such a believable future for our species. It's politics and human nature spread out into the solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by Raine Woot View Post
    I don't remember the Ganymede refugee spacing from the books, so I only got the feeling when the belter captain held Prax back to save him. Was deliciously chilling when it happened a few seconds later. Should serve to legitimize his PTSD in the coming episodes, and it also illustrates how far militant belters with self interest in mind will go against the inners. These are effectively nations all but at war with each other. Parallels with today, a hallmark of the best sci fi.

As far as the belter dialect goes, it's sporadically spelled out in the books but mostly left up to interpretation as to how it would actually be spoken as a creole of various prominent earth languages. Obviously it would sound weird and nonsensical to us now, as most of us speak one or two of those languages. Language is changing faster and faster, just like most things today. I think the actors give differing performances, but for the most part I love the belter creole. If you accept that the belt speaks a different, shared language despite the distances often separating them more from each other than the inners, you begin to see them as a separate whole, albeit fractured, culture oppressed by the inners. I especially love Anderson Dawes' speeches.

Overall, I love the expanse because it seems such a believable future for our species. It's politics and human nature spread out into the solar system.
    There are a few deviations from the books iirc. I dont want to spoil my own memory because i like the tv show so much. I did start to read from Abadons gate and onward again. Those books are soooo different from the first 3 (as in less focus on the Roci and crew).

re:belter dialect
    I found/find that hard to grasp. In most scifi books its usually just speak it out loud in rl and you understand it, in Expanse not so much. I regularly have no fuckin clue what they are saying as its 4 languages distorted speak. And not even the context helps you sometimes. Very well done.

The rocinante is crewed by retards and idiots and it's really hard to sympathise :-/

https://zkillboard.com/character/195872744/ have a look to see all the fun im having in eve. If you arent having fun in eve you`re probably bad at eve. Please better yourself.

Reference Prax
      Spoiler:
    IIRC he didn't make it off Ganymede and spent the time searching for his daughter, there were a couple of chapters on the gradual collapse of the eco system and stuff.

Belter creole is a bit cringy. Get the feeling there should be more in the way of hand gestures and stuff.
    TRAPS ARE GAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Longdrinks View Post
    The rocinante is crewed by retards and idiots and it's really hard to sympathise :-/
    Its cute when Holden tries to act all tough guy, when his default facial expression is "confused puppy".

For me, Alex seems to be the only guy who has it halfway together. Even Naomi is going full retard recently.

Re belter talk, i thought it was done very well in S1 with the hooker teaching earth police guy. They have shat the bed a couple of times in S2, for example last episode Naomi and security gal on the lift outside Tycho. Overall i still think it serves its purpose, although it may be a bit overused.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; March 19 2017 at 11:36:45 AM.

Latest episode good, one part is very much Baltar's trial esq, its good.

Holden and Scooby doo gang being doobies
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Just watched last 5 episodes in a row

Iz gud, but the Ganymede clusterfuck was a bit too clusterfucked. I guess they'll clear things up in coming episodes.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post

"Whereeeever I goddammm liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikeee!"

Based Earth Granny

evil granny is awesome
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

Iz gud, but the Ganymede clusterfuck was a bit too clusterfucked. I guess they'll clear things up in coming episodes.
    It's bad they didn't actually show how marines got rekt. Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

It's bad they didn't actually show how marines got rekt. Budget?
    Yeah budget dressed up as "suspense" I guess. Its looking less and less likely that we get to see that battle in any detail

Unless there's some plot device where they get hold of the camera drone footage further down the line.

wrt Belter, the book belter the writers just made up as they went, but the show belter is rather different, and they hired some dude to make it a 'proper' creole (i.e have all the linguistical halmarks of a creole language). Which also confused the hell out of me as the book belter was quite understandable, but the show belter I cannot make heads or tails off, but apparently that is also intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post

"Whereeeever I goddammm liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikeee!"

Based Earth Granny
    "Who ever de fuck you are"

She is cool
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread