hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse [Megathread]

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    S1 is on netflix, unsure why S2 is taking its time to get on there. Just stream/download from your (dis)reputable provider of preference.
    I read somewhere that Netflix were waiting for all episodes to air in the US and then they'll release them as a complete season.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    S1 is on netflix, unsure why S2 is taking its time to get on there. Just stream/download from your (dis)reputable provider of preference.
    I read somewhere that Netflix were waiting for all episodes to air in the US and then they'll release them as a complete season.
    http://www.syfy.com/episodes

No worky?

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    It'll only work in the US (and Canada?), Netflix have exclusive distribution rights elsewhere, it's actually billed as a Netflix original.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    It'll only work in the US (and Canada?), Netflix have exclusive distribution rights elsewhere, it's actually billed as a Netflix original.
    no proxy?

I love zero g scenes. Everything behaves as it should, it's awesome to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by equak View Post
    Didn't know about this, but if there are books I think I'll read them first.
    There are books and they are fantastic. However, I'd recommend to watch the show, then follow with the books. The characters in the books come alive and show does a very good job following the material (book authors are running the show).

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Just started watching this on netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by equak View Post
    Didn't know about this, but if there are books I think I'll read them first.
    There are books and they are fantastic. However, I'd recommend to watch the show, then follow with the books. The characters in the books come alive and show does a very good job following the material (book authors are running the show).
    Books start off great then go on a steady decline imo..
    TV show is a pretty decent adaptation
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

It's entertaining sci-fi but it's far from a great show. The whole thing runs like a tabletop RPG session where something bigger has to happen everytime something big happens because there's no point unraveling the consequences or intricacies of the fallout of one thing. So it just keeps up'ing the ante to ridiculous levels. They're questing across the solar system, from asteroid, to station, and back and having fights that mean nothing because the players get annoyed if they don't get to roll dice every session. There was even the whole "get them a spaceship" arc, because that's the first thing a PC wants in a space story. This is absolutely fair game for a page turner, wish fulfillment novel, or exactly what this is, a low-budget networks big name series, but it's not great TV by a long shot.

And floppy detective hair is a weirdo, "I love you Julie!" Despite never having met her and going after her initially for an off-the-books job, only then to have some weird middle-aged crush on her and chasing her across the system. And it's obvious why it did happen, because the authors had come up with an awful ending where she's the key and they have to justify some connection, only the justification they come up with is the equivalent of a katana wielding player character's motivation of "get the girl." He's a total weirdo, chasing a woman for absolutely no reason other than he likes her apartment's shower, or they were meant to be because she's equally a kindred spirit or some shite like that. Then it actually pays off where she in goo mode believes in his creepo-love for her.

There's a theory to film writing, you can set the premise and have one amazing event happen that sets everything off, but you can't have unbelievable stuff keep happening outside of the premise, and outside of the one event because any viewer who's paying attention will realise you've no clue and are magicking things to happen. So the big amazing thing the writers came up with was a magic goo that allows them do anything to keep the plot going. And them fighting their way off the attacked main ship of the Martain navy. And the stealth ships that destroyed everything else falling to them. And fighting their way of an asteroid. There was obviously a point where the authors realised this is an everyone survives story (including noble Venus death, which is the best kind of surviving as a legend, time to roll another character) because this is a heroes story and they killed off the medic guy to try and show people can get hit on their incredibly risky and completely fortunate encounters.

The whole mormon ship thing is the perfect example of crappy storytelling that ends up going nowhere satisfying and only forces the writers to come up with something even stupider. So they're setting up the mormon ship for all the series so far, so they can steal it and fly it into the rock. Except it misses. That's so entirely unsatisfying, they spent however many minutes of all those episodes just for a cool big story set piece of "steal ship, crash it into asteroid," and nothing comes of it. "Woah!" Third rate Keanu-face lead actor gurns. "It shouldn't move." "Alien goo!" The writers say, nodding sagely. "Yes, we made it inevitable that a character would die and you'd be wrapped up in it but instead something even woo-ier happens!"

It's great sci-fi, in that it looks cool and has fun things happening and there's bugger all other sci-fi of any merit happening. The acting is even pretty great at dragging it out of how awful it could be, the guy playing Miller makes it so you're just laughing at the character's story and motivation, and not actually cringing at the whole thing. Chatham plays the pseudo-sociopath/no moral radar guy really well ("Can you fix these people?" lolzo, please fix my broken head, this is character development.) But ultimately it's just adventures with spaceships that if the world wasn't so starved for any decent sci-fi wouldn't get attention beyond crappy pre-bedtime popcorn distraction.

Look at all them spoilers... Good job I've read the books. Also mrenda missing all the points.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Gave it a shot, 3 episodes later and I can't fathom why anyone would waste their time with this. Maybe if you have a massive sci-fi fetish, but other than that it's just a collection of atrocious actors giving the worst performances of their lives in an unconvincing setting and shit-tier writing

Maybe it gets better, but then you'd be hard pressed to make it any worse tbh.

Unless you have a massive space-boner, don't waste your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

I watched the trailers and it looks like some B-grade shit. Mrenda's post only strengthens my suspicions. A lot of you guys loved Firefly even though it was garbage so pardon me if I wait for stronger evidence before I waste any time on this thing.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Firefly was garbage
    Jesus christ all my wats

I watched the trailers and it looks like some B-grade shit. Mrenda's post only strengthens my suspicions. A lot of you guys loved Firefly even though it was garbage so pardon me if I wait for stronger evidence before I waste any time on this thing.
    3edgy5me

I read your posts and they looked like some B-Grade shit. Mrenda's waffling only strengthens my suspicions. A lot of you Irish guys post like Xenosis Raper so pardon me if I wait for stronger evidence before I waste any time on this post.

I looked for this on Amazon, it was not there and I was sad.

So... where can watch in UK? (legit sources only plz)

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

Read the books and have a really good imagination.

No legit sources in the UK. I am pirating now and purchasing later to support the show.

Season 1 is on Netflix in UK, Season 2 is on :the internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

Ok Netflix is fine.

Yeah I could read the books but I prefer to telly first then books because otherwise you watch the show and keep thinking "this was better in the book".