hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse [Megathread]

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    This week I just watched the entire second series. I liked it a lot with two exceptions: the unnecessary dragging out of many, many scenes in a very clumsy attempt to build dramatic suspense and fill in time, and Steven fucking Straight. God he acts and looks like a petulant 7 year old. The worst casting of the entire show.

If I wanted to be pedantic, I could complain about a lot of things in the show, but it's a TV show with a limited budget and they do a very good job with what they have. The characters and the acting in the scene on Ganymede where choices had to be made over life and death were amazing.

My absolute favourite scene in the whole second series is where Cara Gee, aka Drummer, Johnson's second, grabs Alex's gun and shoots the two blokes on their knees. That was juicy visceral revenge. She does an amazing job as an actress of coming across as a tough as nails bitch you don't want to mess with.
    The budget per episode is the same as game of thrones. It's not low budget.
    Lol no. Unless they spend it all on hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    This week I just watched the entire second series. I liked it a lot with two exceptions: the unnecessary dragging out of many, many scenes in a very clumsy attempt to build dramatic suspense and fill in time, and Steven fucking Straight. God he acts and looks like a petulant 7 year old. The worst casting of the entire show.

If I wanted to be pedantic, I could complain about a lot of things in the show, but it's a TV show with a limited budget and they do a very good job with what they have. The characters and the acting in the scene on Ganymede where choices had to be made over life and death were amazing.

My absolute favourite scene in the whole second series is where Cara Gee, aka Drummer, Johnson's second, grabs Alex's gun and shoots the two blokes on their knees. That was juicy visceral revenge. She does an amazing job as an actress of coming across as a tough as nails bitch you don't want to mess with.
    The budget per episode is the same as game of thrones. It's not low budget.
    They have to spend quite a bit on things like CGI work and green screening. What I meant is they don't have the budget of blockbuster movies for all the scifi stuff. But whatever, it doesn't matter.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Needs more facts and less hear-say about the budget, only number for the expanse that I could find was on one review claiming 5M per episode, which I pretty much doubt. GoT is currently spending about 10M per episode, and they have much more CGI than expanse...

Some of you probably already know this, but I just found out that the expanse was originally a background setting for an MMO that fell through.

The guys who worked on it then used it as a background setting for a private RPG campaign.

The crew of the Rocinante's exploits is based on that RPG campaign. Remember the guy who had his head shot off by a railcannon round? The person playing that character had to bail early so he was given a spectacular death as a good way to exit.

The people playing as the crew of the Rocinante were having so much fun that a second parallel campaign was setup for some other people. Miller and the events of Ceres were the result of that.

It was all so engaging, that it was eventually written up as a book. Then a series of books. And now a TV series.

:MindBlown:

Edit: Link to the full story http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...imlinksM000006
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; May 18 2017 at 09:21:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Needs more facts and less hear-say about the budget, only number for the expanse that I could find was on one review claiming 5M per episode, which I pretty much doubt. GoT is currently spending about 10M per episode, and they have much more CGI than expanse...
    "people say 5m, but GoT has much more CGI and spends much more money so i don't believe it"

that doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Some of you probably already know this, but I just found out that the expanse was originally a background setting for an MMO that fell through.

The guys who worked on it then used it as a background setting for a private RPG campaign.

The crew of the Rocinante's exploits is based on that RPG campaign. Remember the guy who had his head shot off by a railcannon round? The person playing that character had to bail early so he was given a spectacular death as a good way to exit.

The people playing as the crew of the Rocinante were having so much fun that a second parallel campaign was setup for some other people. Miller and the events of Ceres were the result of that.

It was all so engaging, that it was eventually written up as a book. Then a series of books. And now a TV series.

Edit: Link to the full story http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...imlinksM000006
    sounds legit

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post

sounds legit
    It is.
    TRAPS ARE GAY!

i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?

i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?

It is. But that makes her one of the more advanced light warships in the solar system, being flown by hero characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
      Spoiler:

It is. But that makes her one of the more advanced light warships in the solar system, being flown by hero characters.
    four two hero characters instead of the full complement of a dozen iirc

topkeks

oh well whatever

Spoiler:

topkeks

oh well whatever
    yeh it's brand new, top of the range, best tech in the solar system corvette... So p. deadly.

Spoiler:

topkeks

oh well whatever
    Yep. That's a bit lol, bit the ship itself really is powerful, like most Martian ships. And it's one of the top of the range even for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    yeh it's brand new, top of the range, best tech in the solar system corvette... So p. deadly.
    Kindof makes you wonder why the Donager crew didn't stick a few guys in it to help in the battle or even just to help repel borders what with the Martian military being so well trained and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Kindof makes you wonder why the Donager crew didn't stick a few guys in it to help in the battle or even just to help repel borders what with the Martian military being so well trained and all.
    They were over-confident in their tech-superiority. The captain initially states about the attackers that whoever they are that they are on a suicide mission. It's only when they realise that the opponents torpedo guidance tech is advanced that they start to get worried, and when the small ships reveal that they had mass-drivers on such a small hull that they were boned.

The captain's final words were "never thought we could lose".

So they didn't launch the Rocinante because they didn't think that it would be needed.

A bit of a necro, but season 2 is finally on Netflix.
    I know I'm a bit late to the party, but one thing that had me going WTF was the IDE cable sticking out of the airlock terminal on Eros in Ep.4
      Spoiler:

need reliable and rugged tech in dem belts

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

They have to spend quite a bit on things like CGI work and green screening. What I meant is they don't have the budget of blockbuster movies for all the scifi stuff. But whatever, it doesn't matter.
    If you're on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibu View Post
    A bit of a necro, but season 2 is finally on Netflix.
    I know I'm a bit late to the party, but one thing that had me going WTF was the IDE cable sticking out of the airlock terminal on Eros in Ep.4
      Spoiler:

Because Parallel >>>> serial killers.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Re-watching s2 now. Its a damn good show overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Definitely a damn good show. Thanks for necroing and reminding me I'm still waiting til 2018 to see more wiki says they just began filming it 2 months ago. I need me some slow zone and weird alien tech on screen asap.
    Last edited by Raine Woot; September 11 2017 at 03:48:42 AM.