hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 226

Thread: The Expanse [Megathread]

  1. #201

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    5,741
    Needs more facts and less hear-say about the budget, only number for the expanse that I could find was on one review claiming 5M per episode, which I pretty much doubt. GoT is currently spending about 10M per episode, and they have much more CGI than expanse...

  2. #202

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,433
    Some of you probably already know this, but I just found out that the expanse was originally a background setting for an MMO that fell through.

    The guys who worked on it then used it as a background setting for a private RPG campaign.

    The crew of the Rocinante's exploits is based on that RPG campaign. Remember the guy who had his head shot off by a railcannon round? The person playing that character had to bail early so he was given a spectacular death as a good way to exit.

    The people playing as the crew of the Rocinante were having so much fun that a second parallel campaign was setup for some other people. Miller and the events of Ceres were the result of that.

    It was all so engaging, that it was eventually written up as a book. Then a series of books. And now a TV series.

    :MindBlown:

    Edit: Link to the full story http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...imlinksM000006
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; May 18 2017 at 10:21:49 AM.

  3. #203
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Needs more facts and less hear-say about the budget, only number for the expanse that I could find was on one review claiming 5M per episode, which I pretty much doubt. GoT is currently spending about 10M per episode, and they have much more CGI than expanse...
    "people say 5m, but GoT has much more CGI and spends much more money so i don't believe it"

    that doesn't make any sense.

  4. #204
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    27,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Some of you probably already know this, but I just found out that the expanse was originally a background setting for an MMO that fell through.

    The guys who worked on it then used it as a background setting for a private RPG campaign.

    The crew of the Rocinante's exploits is based on that RPG campaign. Remember the guy who had his head shot off by a railcannon round? The person playing that character had to bail early so he was given a spectacular death as a good way to exit.

    The people playing as the crew of the Rocinante were having so much fun that a second parallel campaign was setup for some other people. Miller and the events of Ceres were the result of that.

    It was all so engaging, that it was eventually written up as a book. Then a series of books. And now a TV series.

    :MindBlown:

    Edit: Link to the full story http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...imlinksM000006
    sounds legit

  5. #205
    Larkonis Trassler's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    FEARLESS.
    Posts
    11,197
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Some of you probably already know this, but I just found out that the expanse was originally a background setting for an MMO that fell through.

    The guys who worked on it then used it as a background setting for a private RPG campaign.

    The crew of the Rocinante's exploits is based on that RPG campaign. Remember the guy who had his head shot off by a railcannon round? The person playing that character had to bail early so he was given a spectacular death as a good way to exit.

    The people playing as the crew of the Rocinante were having so much fun that a second parallel campaign was setup for some other people. Miller and the events of Ceres were the result of that.

    It was all so engaging, that it was eventually written up as a book. Then a series of books. And now a TV series.

    :MindBlown:

    Edit: Link to the full story http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...imlinksM000006
    sounds legit
    It is.


  6. #206
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    27,462
    i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?


  7. #207

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?

    It is. But that makes her one of the more advanced light warships in the solar system, being flown by hero characters.

  8. #208
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    27,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?

    It is. But that makes her one of the more advanced light warships in the solar system, being flown by hero characters.
    four two hero characters instead of the full complement of a dozen iirc

    topkeks


    oh well whatever

  9. #209
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?

    It is. But that makes her one of the more advanced light warships in the solar system, being flown by hero characters.
    four two hero characters instead of the full complement of a dozen iirc

    topkeks


    oh well whatever
    yeh it's brand new, top of the range, best tech in the solar system corvette... So p. deadly.

  10. #210

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    i kinda veered off expanse and am now catching up so someone please explain to me
      Spoiler:
    how exactly is rocinante so fucking OP? i thought it's just a regular MCRN corvette?

    It is. But that makes her one of the more advanced light warships in the solar system, being flown by hero characters.
    four two hero characters instead of the full complement of a dozen iirc

    topkeks


    oh well whatever
    Yep. That's a bit lol, bit the ship itself really is powerful, like most Martian ships. And it's one of the top of the range even for them.

  11. #211

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    yeh it's brand new, top of the range, best tech in the solar system corvette... So p. deadly.
    Kindof makes you wonder why the Donager crew didn't stick a few guys in it to help in the battle or even just to help repel borders what with the Martian military being so well trained and all.

  12. #212
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    yeh it's brand new, top of the range, best tech in the solar system corvette... So p. deadly.
    Kindof makes you wonder why the Donager crew didn't stick a few guys in it to help in the battle or even just to help repel borders what with the Martian military being so well trained and all.
    They were over-confident in their tech-superiority. The captain initially states about the attackers that whoever they are that they are on a suicide mission. It's only when they realise that the opponents torpedo guidance tech is advanced that they start to get worried, and when the small ships reveal that they had mass-drivers on such a small hull that they were boned.

    The captain's final words were "never thought we could lose".

    So they didn't launch the Rocinante because they didn't think that it would be needed.

  13. #213

    Join Date
    April 29, 2011
    Posts
    406
    A bit of a necro, but season 2 is finally on Netflix.
    I know I'm a bit late to the party, but one thing that had me going WTF was the IDE cable sticking out of the airlock terminal on Eros in Ep.4
      Spoiler:


  14. #214
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    27,462
    need reliable and rugged tech in dem belts

  15. #215
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    20,875
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

    They have to spend quite a bit on things like CGI work and green screening. What I meant is they don't have the budget of blockbuster movies for all the scifi stuff. But whatever, it doesn't matter.
    If you're on a budget.

  16. #216
    thebomby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibu View Post
    A bit of a necro, but season 2 is finally on Netflix.
    I know I'm a bit late to the party, but one thing that had me going WTF was the IDE cable sticking out of the airlock terminal on Eros in Ep.4
      Spoiler:

    Because Parallel >>>> serial killers.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

  17. #217
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    2,649
    Re-watching s2 now. Its a damn good show overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  18. #218
    Raine Woot's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Amurikuh
    Posts
    1,305
    Definitely a damn good show. Thanks for necroing and reminding me I'm still waiting til 2018 to see more wiki says they just began filming it 2 months ago. I need me some slow zone and weird alien tech on screen asap.
    Last edited by Raine Woot; September 11 2017 at 04:48:42 AM.

  19. #219
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,566
    How the fuck they gonna make the rest of the story is a mystery to me.
    What we have seen sofar in the first two seasons, is just the tip of the clusterfuck that is coming.

    Making the rest of the story is going to be very demanding/expensive.

  20. #220
    Cortess's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Posts
    4,887
    God damn cliffhanger episodes.

    Really, if I like the show I gonna watch the next episode regardless. I don't need a cliffhanger that just lets me stay awake way too long.

    Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •