hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2835363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse [Megathread]

I guess I'm in the minority, because I thought this was the best season. For me the previous ones were okay, but this is the first one I really liked.

A lot of the proto-molecule stuff from the previous seasons didn't hit for me. Like, turning kids into weaponised blue zombie things, it was just kinda lame. And I've never felt like the main characters (on the Roci) were that good. I mean I like them (Alex is kinda lame), but when the show was hyper focused on them all being together, going around doing stuff, it got repetitive IMO. In this season the cast is bigger, the side characters get more screen time, and the main cast has more people to interact with (which I find more interesting than their interactions with each other). I also liked that the story wasn't so focused on the Rocinante, it makes the universe feel bigger.

Never liked Fred Johnson either, so I was glad to see him more or less absent. The other OPA characters are great though.

Why do you even like the show? I mean, you don't like Alex? Who are you?

Amos is god. You heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Why do you even like the show? I mean, you don't like Alex? Who are you?
    He's kind of a nothing character compared to the other crew members, and the guy playing him is by far the worst actor. Don't hate the guy but he doesn't exactly get a lot of character development.

The "hey partner" bits are cringy af, but Amos otoh is killing it.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Honestly, I feel Amos did very little this season. Yet Bobbi gets the hate, because she's no longer a Marine or something? I dunno.

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Best series out of the 4 by far. The space/planet alternation make the rhythm really enjoyable. Yeah there's a bit of dumb here or there but the improvement of everything from the rest of the series - texts, char-dev, special effects... - is noticeable, and the mesh of the three storylines quite spot on in terms of timing. If I have to find a defect, maybe the 3 storylines remain too detached but that's really looking for the hair in the egg.

Spoiler:
    I didn't get the conversation going on when the planet in purple x-ray is shown, is that between what remains of the planet and Miller? Or between the protomolecule and Miller? I didn't get the words despite replaying... It's the first time we get a conversation between proto-Miller and what's recreating him right?
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Yankunytjatjara View Post
    Best series out of the 4 by far. The space/planet alternation make the rhythm really enjoyable. Yeah there's a bit of dumb here or there but the improvement of everything from the rest of the series - texts, char-dev, special effects... - is noticeable, and the mesh of the three storylines quite spot on in terms of timing. If I have to find a defect, maybe the 3 storylines remain too detached but that's really looking for the hair in the egg.

Spoiler:
    I didn't get the conversation going on when the planet in purple x-ray is shown, is that between what remains of the planet and Miller? Or between the protomolecule and Miller? I didn't get the words despite replaying... It's the first time we get a conversation between proto-Miller and what's recreating him right?
      Spoiler:
    Do you mean the opening of episode 9? Yeah I think that's fake Miller and real Miller fighting it out. Not so much a conversation, but still.
    Also I think it wasn't the planet, it was that one bit of protomolecule from Eros left on the Rocinante, that they remove at the end.

I just wanted to say that after watching season 4, I think Cara Gee, aka Drummer, and David Strathairn, aka Ashford, were the two best actors and parts in the whole series. Ashford's floating out the lock scene was magnificent. Burn Gorman was fucking magnificent as well.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Loved this season. Bit miffed they split the Cibola Burns book in two tho.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

They didn't? That's the whole thing. Some bits are missing like Havelock training the secuirity dudes in orbit, basia being swapped for his wife and the stupid Elvi Holden romance, but overall it was much improved. Cant beat more Avasarala and Drummer scenes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed the whole thing, there will always be moments of less good but I think the break from all out space stuff was great.
    And the last 2 eps really turned it up for S5! Shit is going to get fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Ashford's floating out the lock scene was magnificent.
    This seasons scene for sure. Most somber and bad ass at the same time.

+RIP for Miller. o7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Disappointing season for me, they turn it in Prometheus, I hope for more next season because last episode was promising.

I don't really watch TV, or at least pay attention to what is on. I had no idea there was an Expanse series... Clearly I have some catching up to do. The books are rather good. I was a bit skeptical of collaborative work but they come out shining.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    I don't really watch TV, or at least pay attention to what is on. I had no idea there was an Expanse series... Clearly I have some catching up to do. The books are rather good. I was a bit skeptical of collaborative work but they come out shining.
    Your in for a treat

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post
    They didn't? That's the whole thing.
    Indeed. They even mixed in pieces of the next book(s), so the next season has it easier to start off/develop, e.g.
      Spoiler:

The whole Marco storyline, and along with that the Drummer / Ashford development, only starts in the next book.

Spoiler:
    I really really liked how they blended in tn Inarios / free navy at the back end of the series, as they seemed to almost come out of nowhere at the start of book5.
    Drummer transitioning into Michico Pa is going nicely.
    All in all i'm very happy with what they did there.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Hopping on the S04 train.

Ilus has no geological activity? Hope they explain the shit out of that.

Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.