hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse [Megathread]

Episode 6 still okay, not a lot going on to connect the characters. I really hope they get their act together at some point, the story needs some outside impetus because everyone just seems to be staring at their own butthole.

I like that Amos' motivation right now is "I need to get back to someone with a moral compass before i fuck up even more people" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Episode 6 still okay, not a lot going on to connect the characters. I really hope they get their act together at some point, the story needs some outside impetus because everyone just seems to be staring at their own butthole.

I like that Amos' motivation right now is "I need to get back to someone with a moral compass before i fuck up even more people" though.
    Pretty much how it was in the book

quick question: How Razor has propulsion after ejecting the reactor core last episode?
    lazy writing spotted

The "core dump" is venting the superheated plasma from the inside of the fusion reactor, not literally ejecting the whole reactor like in Star Trek.

edit: It's shown on screen as a big blue sphere of hot gas. I believe Helium glows blue when heated. More like a pale purpleish color but I'm not sure which element/s reactors in The Expanse actually fuse.
    Last edited by Boltorano; January 8 2021 at 05:51:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    The "core dump" is venting the superheated plasma from the inside of the fusion reactor, not literally ejecting the whole reactor like in Star Trek.

edit: It's shown on screen as a big blue sphere of hot gas. I believe Helium glows blue when heated. More like a pale purpleish color but I'm not sure which element/s reactors in The Expanse actually fuse.
    I believe they called them hydrogen pellets in season 4 when the blue goo changed the laws of the universe and stopped fusion from working. Would be cool if humanity figured out how to make metallic hydrogen, mighty usefull.

You just need like 430GPa (about four million atmospheres). No big deal :P

my palms are still sweating 10 minutes later
    all that drama was worth the payoff

Amos is still The Man

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

Amos is still The Man
    Amos wasn't even in the most recent episode, but it was a very good episode.

Question

What's the injection supposed to be they give people in a vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post

Amos is still The Man
    Amos wasn't even in the most recent episode, but it was a very good episode.

Question

What's the injection supposed to be they give people in a vacuum?
    I assume you're referring to the "juice" they get when performing high G-burns/maneuvers? It's supposedly a mixture of stimulants and other drugs, to prevent aneurisms and such.
    I haven't read the books so dno if there's a better source, but found this one which seems credible: Quora: The Expanse "juice"

He's talking about
      Spoiler:
    the thing naomi injected at the end of her jump, i bet it was adrenaline and O2

not so much to help with vacuum but immediate essential resuscitation afterwards

I've watched episodes 4-7 today so that's why the amos comment.
    Last edited by RazoR; January 15 2021 at 04:48:57 AM.

He's talking about
      Spoiler:
    the thing naomi injected at the end of her jump, i bet it was adrenaline and O2

not so much to help with vacuum but immediate essential resuscitation afterwards

I've watched episodes 4-7 today so that's why the amos comment.
    I was referring to that but the juice thing also was curious to me. I really wish there was many more episodes to watch, whole season has been fun so far, sad there's only a few left and that it ends after another season.

It's the same stuff they used when

Spoiler:

they found Monica in the shipping container. Holden called it hyperoxygenated blood or something like that.

I'd have thought the problem would be less about oxygen deprivation and more about the damage being in a cold vacuum for even a few seconds. I'm not sure how much damage ~1 minute in space would do to you, but I'd have thought it would be pretty serious.

We've been over it multiple times. Basically no permanent damage if you exhale and spend less than half a minute, which was what she did.

Also vacuum is not cold, you might even get a nice tan

In terms of heat transfer, the efficiency generally goes: conduction > convection > radiation. This is why we have vacuum flasks (Thermos brand or other) in the first place.

I was a bit disturbed by all of the sudden recognizing that typical movie engine sound in space ... was it there all the way? The Expanse has rightfully been praised for its otherwise realistic physics in space, so that's a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I was a bit disturbed by all of the sudden recognizing that typical movie engine sound in space ... was it there all the way? The Expanse has rightfully been praised for its otherwise realistic physics in space, so that's a bit annoying.
    They are scraping the hard realism boundary without losing the entertainment value. And yes, i think it was always there.

If anything, the thing I'd complain about in that scene is why Cyn doesn't have his mag boots activated and how quickly he just accepts death and doesn't even flail about a bit.

If anything, the thing I'd complain about in that scene is why Cyn doesn't have his mag boots activated and how quickly he just accepts death and doesn't even flail about a bit.
    Was pretty epic though. Bit of a bummer to not see him brawl though.

Banned
    Guilt? I'd have to rewatch the scene.

Every season has been better and better in terms of production values. The 'diversity' of the cast doesn't seem at all forced... unlike STD.
    http://puu.sh/kTSQD/2e39d12cac.png
    http://i.imgur.com/AfHQMwR.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/sQRclby.png