hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

Thread: [Friday] Current Status

  1. #21

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    5,454
    On the bus to work, tried to read a bit. After reading the same page 4 times, decided that 6am is not the correct time for recreational learning on the subject of quantum entanglement.

  2. #22
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    On the bus to work, tried to read a bit. After reading the same page 4 times, decided that 6am is not the correct time for recreational learning on the subject of quantum entanglement.
    I usually leave popular science reading for when I'm high as fuck.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    5,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    On the bus to work, tried to read a bit. After reading the same page 4 times, decided that 6am is not the correct time for recreational learning on the subject of quantum entanglement.
    I usually leave popular science reading for when I'm high as fuck.
    I enjoy it, but it definitely requires being actually awake. Burns my brain at the best of the times, no idea why i thought that'd be a good idea....

    I ended up playing an iOs mobile game instead, which seems about right.

  4. #24
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    11,464
    The problem at university is (at least here in Germany, can't imagine it being different anywhere else) that lecturers are not trained teachers. They've never learned how to properly structure and write an assignment. They are experts in their field of study, which is important but they aren't even provided with a crash course in didactics.

    Back at uni that was among the biggest complaints my own lecturers in history and English had (unless they were didactics lecturers obv).

    I agree with Freddy, that first paragraph assignment is absolute shit. It's better (well, imperative) to give tasks that to an extent allow the student to check progress by themselves. So how many people should you watch? It also lacks any information about how you get your ideas about someone's reputation. Are you supposed to make it up? Should you know the person?

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  5. #25
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.
    I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

    I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Destroying words is one of the things people find most difficult. A lot of graduate reporters I work with never actually get the hang of and I certainly wouldn't expect English teachers to be able to do it since they tend to be experts in the verbose.

    The assignments looks doable, you just have to be highly selective in what you write. Write it down longform and then destroy every word or sentence that doesn't actually need to be there, you would be amazed how much you can compress ideas down into very few words when you really think about it.

    Also, don't be too obsessed on the exact quantities. A paragraph is of ambiguous length so you have a lot of flexibility there.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    December 29, 2011
    Posts
    500
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3255575/ma...-hit-sue-them/

    How much can you wait and how come no-body react....

    :Wallmart:

  7. #27
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.
    I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

    I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Destroying words is one of the things people find most difficult. A lot of graduate reporters I work with never actually get the hang of and I certainly wouldn't expect English teachers to be able to do it since they tend to be experts in the verbose.

    The assignments looks doable, you just have to be highly selective in what you write. Write it down longform and then destroy every word or sentence that doesn't actually need to be there, you would be amazed how much you can compress ideas down into very few words when you really think about it.

    Also, don't be too obsessed on the exact quantities. A paragraph is of ambiguous length so you have a lot of flexibility there.
    In addition: If they've asked for a paragraph, they don't expect detail so don't give it to them. One or two citations maximum.


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  8. #28
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.
    I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

    I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Destroying words is one of the things something people find most difficult. A lot of Many graduate reporters I work with never actually get the hang of (it) learn and I certainly wouldn't expect English teachers to be able to do it since they tend to be are experts in the verbose.

    The assignments look doable, you just have to be highly selective in what you write. Write it down longform and then destroy every word or sentence that doesn't actually need to be there, you would be amazed how much you can compress ideas down into very few words when you really think about it.

    Also, don't be too obsessed on the exact quantities. A paragraph is of ambiguous length so you have a lot of flexibility there.
    m8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    Agreeing with w0lf.
    XENOSISRAPER FAN CLUB

  9. #29
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.
    I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

    I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Destroying words is one of the things something people find most difficult. A lot of Many graduate reporters I work with never actually get the hang of (it) learn and I certainly wouldn't expect English teachers to be able to do it since they tend to be are experts in the verbose.

    The assignments look doable, you just have to be highly selective in what you write. Write it down longform and then destroy every word or sentence that doesn't actually need to be there, you would be amazed how much you can compress ideas down into very few words when you really think about it.

    Also, don't be too obsessed on the exact quantities. A paragraph is of ambiguous length so you have a lot of flexibility there.
    m8
    Exactly.

  10. #30
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.
    I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

    I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Destroying words is one of the things something people find most difficult. A lot of Many graduate reporters I work with never actually get the hang of (it) learn and I certainly wouldn't expect English teachers to be able to do it since they tend to be are experts in the verbose.

    The assignments look doable, you just have to be highly selective in what you write. Write it down longform and then destroy every word or sentence that doesn't actually need to be there, you would be amazed how much you can compress ideas down into very few words when you really think about it.

    Also, don't be too obsessed on the exact quantities. A paragraph is of ambiguous length so you have a lot of flexibility there.
    m8
    Exactly.
    Why haven't you offered him a job yet?


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  11. #31
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Do your fucking homework you lazy shit. It's how you git gud.
    I iz gud. I just hate writing assignments like this. It asks a question that takes a couple pages to answer, and want it in a paragraph.

    I live with a pair of english teachers. They've looked at these assignments and had the same response:
    Destroying words is one of the things something people find most difficult. A lot of Many graduate reporters I work with never actually get the hang of (it) learn and I certainly wouldn't expect English teachers to be able to do it since they tend to be are experts in the verbose.

    The assignments look doable, you just have to be highly selective in what you write. Write it down longform and then destroy every word or sentence that doesn't actually need to be there, you would be amazed how much you can compress ideas down into very few words when you really think about it.

    Also, don't be too obsessed on the exact quantities. A paragraph is of ambiguous length so you have a lot of flexibility there.
    m8
    Exactly.
    Why haven't you offered him a job yet?
    I believe spaz is already a professional roid head.

  12. #32
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    8,441
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    If you stick to your ethics when push comes to shove, you better be prepared to be incarcerated/eat nothing more than bread crusts and shiver in the winter because you can't even afford heating until the end of your life
    at least your bread crusts & shivering will be well lit

  13. #33
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

    I agree with Freddy, that first paragraph assignment is absolute shit. It's better (well, imperative) to give tasks that to an extent allow the student to check progress by themselves. So how many people should you watch? It also lacks any information about how you get your ideas about someone's reputation. Are you supposed to make it up? Should you know the person?

    Tapapapatalk
    This. I think it's a perfect example of how to turn students who are not into a subject completely off it by being obscure.


    Friday status: Currently very happy I am single and living in a mens' flat, because I ate a whole chunk of cheese when I came home after partying and, well, you can imagine the rest *opens a window*
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  14. #34
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,986
    invited for beef soup eating tonight


    just remembered I have a pack of goulash beef in the frigde and...a piece of SUPPENFLEISCH I have to cook today as well

    probably couldn't be more firstworldproblematic
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  15. #35
    teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    invited for beef soup eating tonight


    just remembered I have a pack of goulash beef in the frigde and...a piece of SUPPENFLEISCH I have to cook today as well

    probably couldn't be more firstworldproblematic
    Just remember to throw it all away before you eat it.

  16. #36
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,811
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    invited for beef soup eating tonight


    just remembered I have a pack of goulash beef in the frigde and...a piece of SUPPENFLEISCH I have to cook today as well

    probably couldn't be more firstworldproblematic
    Just remember to throw it all away before you eat it.
    topcake (which you should throw in the bin after baking)

  17. #37
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    invited for beef soup eating tonight


    just remembered I have a pack of goulash beef in the frigde and...a piece of SUPPENFLEISCH I have to cook today as well

    probably couldn't be more firstworldproblematic
    Just remember to throw it all away before you eat it.
    It is important to twirl the meat over your head and fling it into the bin in a high arc, though. Lets the juices rotate and gives full flavour for the crows and rats at the failtrashheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  18. #38
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    6,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Um, this was my shop two days ago.

    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/02/1...erous-suspect/

    Remind me again why I wanted to be in an industry full of crazy people?
    That is just good and free PR m8!

  19. #39
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    11,464
    Just spent one hour extra to do detention with some students of mine because they have disciplinary issues in class (less in mine, more with other teachers).

    Now off for the weekend. Guess I'll grab lunch at the cheap and mediocre Italian across the street from my place. If it weren't so damn cheap I wouldn't go there.

    Sunday will be Shadowrun pen&paper rpg. Saturday I'll have to prepare a test for Monday.
    And at one point I sort of would need to grade a bunch of other tests as well. But that's unlikely to get done.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  20. #40
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    1,467
    Found out today that I "unfortunately" have to take 9 weeks of leave between now and the end of June.

    The horror.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •